HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do's and Don'ts after Surgery Do's and Don'ts after Surgery

Unread 02-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Do's and Don'ts after Surgery

Where can I find some guidlines to usual do's and don'ts after LSH sugery. I am having this done March 13th and most of the checklists I can find say no driving for 4 weeks, avoid stairs, and lots of other things that seem to apply to mainly TAH. I know recovery from LSH is much shorter so where can I find something more specific for LSH? Thanks anyone for the help!
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure where you could find guidelines. Every doctor is as different as each patient. At my 10 day post-op appt. I mentioned to the doc about the hospital release papers saying no lifting, driving, intercourse, etc. for two but that it didn't say weeks or months - so I wasn't sure. He said he needed to make up his own release instructions. But he didn't elaborate. At that appt. though, he cleared me for everything. So I am assuming that he thinks at least some of it would be okay earlier.
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM

I asked my Dr. how long before I could drive, and he said most of his patients are cleared to drive in about 4 days. Probably not a stiff-shifting 5-speed, like I have, but an automatic should be fine! My DH will be swapping cars with me when I go back to work, for the first couple weeks.
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM

I have been told I can drive after I'm off all pain meds for 24hrs and will not hesitate to slam on brakes if needed.

I don't know about the sex thing.

Sherri
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM

I agree that all docs are different, and each have their sets of guidelines so I would start with your doc ( I didn't notice if you are scheduledyet/have a doc)
I drove about 5 days out. I had the LSH, and my orders were pretty typical-no lifting-no bathing for a week (shower only) no sex.
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM

Take a few minutes and scan the Hysterectomy Checkpoints section of Hyster Sisters. You'll find all sorts of helpful information about all those things you can and really can't do after your surgery.

For me, the notable "don'ts" included most all housework , driving (I could resume driving as I felt able as soon as I was no longer taking narcotic pain relievers -- I waited about 2 weeks because I didn't feel well enough until then, though), pushing a grocery cart, lifting restrictions (mine were nothing over 20 pounds for six weeks) and restrictions on sex (again, nothing in the vagina for six weeks or until cleared by doctor).

The shorter recovery period for the LSH procedure, while not completely a myth, is a little bit deceiving. Really, the main difference between the LSH and the other forms of hysterectomy is that there is no long incision or scar to remind you that you've had major surgery. You have still had an organ (or organs, if you're having your ovaries removed, too) removed, and you still have the same number of internal stitches as a woman who has had a TAH. In that regard, you still need to treat yourself like a for several weeks.

If you do a search for LSH here, you'll find many (((sisters))) who have had this procedure, and the good news is that they often do feel much better much sooner -- often within 2-4 weeks. However, that doesn't mean they are healed any quicker. The restrictions are often very similar to that of the TAH because you still need to give the internal stitches stress-free time to heal properly.

I wish you all the best with your surgery! Here's hoping you're happy with your outcome.

Unread 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM

[quote=mjd2491] You have still had an organ (or organs, if you're having your ovaries removed, too) removed, and you still have the same number of internal stitches as a woman who has had a TAH.

While I do agree that it is still major surgery, I just wanted to remind you that having internal stitches is not the same for everyone. I had NO internal stitches. My doctor cauterized everything instead of using stitches.
Unread 02-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Another few don't include sweeping, vacuming and carrying a laundry basket.

I tried sweeping my kitchen floor after about six days, and I could not believe how much it hurt. Pushing the vacume is the same thing.

Another thing that I found odd, and wished I had thought ahead to do was, lifting bottled beverages out of the fridge. I have them all on the top shelf, and that little bit of straining that comes with holding it up that little bit higher, and then bringing it to counter level hurts. Take a few minutes to re-arrange your fridge shelfs, if you can. It sounds silly, and you are not supposed to lift anything, but if you need to grab a gallon of milk, or a bottle of soda, you'll notice what I am refering to.

Also, pick up some paper plates. Unloading the dishwasher, and stretching to put the dishes away can be painful those first few weeks.

I live alone, so I was on my own here at the house after day five. I'm also on the short side, and stretching to reach stuff is also a no-no.
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:54 AM

I was told no driving until my 2 week post op visit. Cleared to drive now... but only if I feel up to it, which I don't.

I read somewhere about not pushing a grocery cart right away. Was in a store 2-1/2 weeks post op, and thought I'd be ok to move the empty cart a couple of aisles .. um... no. Couldn't believe how it wore me out, even empty.

Vacuuming is a no no until the tummy muscles are healed. Sex is the same as post-partum... at least 6 weeks (I also asked my doc this week how long the discharge was going to continue .. he says 3-4 more weeks likely, so it wouldn't be before then anyway )

If you think you're not ready to do it .. you aren't. If you think you are, and you feel any discomfort trying anything (dishes, sweeping, whatever), stop. Better to take it easy, than to overdue it and strain something.
Unread 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM

I, too, had trouble finding LSH-specific guidelines. Ask your doctor what he or she wants you to do. I can only tell you my own experience, but I'll gladly do that!

I had my LSH on a Wednesday, and ended up having to stay overnight. When my dr. discharged me on Thursday morning, he told me I was "a nun." He also said I could drive when I felt like it--3 or 4 days. I wasn't taking anything other than Tylenol, so that may have made a difference. I wasn't to lift much, but even at that point the main theme of his advice was to do what I felt like.

I went for my follow-up the next Tuesday, at which point he released me for everything. He said intercourse would be okay by 10 days if I wanted to and felt like it. As far as lifting goes, he really stuck with the "if it hurts, don't do it" line, and that worked for me. I was careful about lifting until about the 5 or 6 wee mark, but lifting was the only thing that I really noticed after 2 weeks other than tiring easily.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.