HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Fibroids, long periods, enlarged uterus Fibroids, long periods, enlarged uterus

Unread 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Fibroids, long periods, enlarged uterus

I posted this in the introduce yourself forum, but I'm going to post it here as well, but I would very much like to read some of your opinions on my situation. Thank you so much in advance!

Hello, everyone! I joined last night and this seemed like the right place to start! I'm 35 and the mother of 2 sets of twins. I had a tubal the day after my second set were born almost 13 years ago. I've always had irregular cycles and cramping (since I started my period at 10 years old), but after the tubal, things just became progressively worse. In the last couple of years, my periods have become extremely heavy with lots of clotting. I have cramping during my periods with some pain in between now as well. I often have months where I bleed for 25 out of 30 days and I had some form of spotting/period all last summer without more than a day or two break. I did have blood work done to rule out PCOS and I also had an ultrasound which found fibroids. My obgyn said that my uterus is enlarged. I believe that this is all indicitive of a hysterectomy. However, I was started on a 90 day stint of Norethindrone and told that if it works, I would just have to take it forever and no hysterectomy would be done. This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why not just take it and be done with it? Anyway...that's where I am and I found this site from a recommendation on another forum. Thanks, and I'm so glad I found you all!

Can you tell that I'm seriously frustrated?
Unread 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Fibroids, long periods, enlarged uterus

to Hystersisters! I hope you find support and information here to help you with your decision! It can be frustrating have GYN issues and bleeding all the time is NOT fun!

A hyst is a major surgery and there can be many complications including nicked bladder, nicked bowels, internal bleeding, adhesions, damaged nerves, and the list goes on. If it were that you "just had it out" and things were perfect, then it would be an easier decision. Unfortunatley, that doesn't always happen. We have several forums here on the site for ladies who either continue to deal with GYN issues post hyst, or who developed new problems post hyst: Road Less Traveled, Bladder Matters, Sexual Dysfunction, Hormone Jungle.

Because there can be so many complications and because there is no way prior to surgery to know what complications, if any, you will have, many doctors advise you to try alternative treatments and avoid the hyst if at all possible.

And a hyst does not cure all GYN issues.

We do have several Fibroid Resources you might want to read through as well as Alternatives for Fibroids.

Research your options and seek additional medical opinions to help you decide what is best for you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway