HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Strep B vaginal infection - Yikes!! Strep B vaginal infection - Yikes!!

Unread 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Strep B vaginal infection - Yikes!!

The culture from my yucky discharge (TMI, sorry) came back positive for Strep B bacteria. The first treatment of vaginal antibiotic gel didn't work (I suspect the doctor prescribed this before he knew it was Strep B) and now I've got a script for vaginal ovules (?) that I was supposed to pick up today. But, the pharmacy called, and they don't have it, so they have to order it, and aren't sure when it'll come in. Is this an unusual treatment? Why would the pharmacy not have it?

I'm looking for anyone's experiences with Strep B. Help!
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:39 PM

There have been many times that my pharmacy (and other pharmacies) has not had what I needed for various meds. Either they had run out, don't care it regularly, or they don't want to eliminate their entire supply. You may call around to other pharmacies in your area and see if another pharmacy might have what you need on hand so you do not have to wait.

I hope the new prescription helps and the infection clears up quickly!
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Pregnant women are routinely checked for this and if they have if prior to delivery they are given and IV antibiotic. My daughter had it and she is fine. I would assume either the RX is popular, not used that often or hard to come by.
Unread 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM

I tested positive for Group B Strep during my last pregnancy. Then, 12 days after he was born, I went into ICU with invasive Group A Strep (and DIC). Then this past November, I tested positive for Group B Strep again during my pap. My gyn put me on antibiotics, but he told me (and I'd already learned this in all my researching the group A) that some women are just carriers for Group B and will always test positive for it. Most of the info. I found online was for pregnant women, but you might want to ask your doctor about being a possible carrier. It doesn't really mean anything. For women that are pregnant, it just means that they have to have antibiotics during labor, for the baby's sake.

Oh, and btw, my getting the invasive Group A Strep was not related to my being positive for Group B.

I hope this helps.

Jen
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:18 AM

My son was born with Strep B infection....got it from me during delivery (that was 9 years ago). Back then, it was not a mandatory test and I had no idea I was a carrier. Thankfully, my son lived...but many babies do not. I also tested positive for Strep B in vaginal cultures without having any symptoms. Since it was not bothering me, I was not put on an antibiotic. When I had ingrown toenail surgery, my toes did get infected and surprise.....strep B showed up! It took several rounds of antibiotics to get rid of that infection in my toes. Other than that, being a carrier of Strep B does not affect me (knock on wood!).
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:52 AM

When I had all my problems with a yucky and green discharge, my gyn was very relaxed about it all.I had Group G, but he said that if the lab results showed B or G, he would not be worried as they live in the area.I was prescribed oestrogen cream and the discharge went away.
Unread 02-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Wow how many Streps are out there?
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:01 AM

I know of Groups A-G, although, other than A and B, I don't know anything about the others. I mostly know about Group A, since that's what nearly killed me with the Streptoccocal Toxic Shock Syndrome and Necrotizing Fasciitis (so, in other words, the Group A has sub-catagories.. not sure if any of the others do or not).

Also, regular Group A Strep is what strep throat is. What I had was invasive GrpAS.

Jen
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM

I knew lots about the staph (MRSA) but just didn't realize there were so many strep. I guess that is because I haven't really had anyone around me with it until recently. Its good they can detect this early and treat it.
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:17 AM

The sad thing is that the symptoms mimic the flu, so many people, like me, mistakenly think that they just have that and don't seek treatment until it's almost too late.. or too late. And, I know of several people that went to get checked out in the early stages and were misdiagnosed with the flu.

I knew something was really wrong when I started having trouble walking, like my feet just wanted to drag. Then, that last night when I ended up going to the ER, I just didn't feel right. Turns out my kidneys and intestines had already shut down, had I waited 4 more hours, I would've been dead. Later, most of my other organs shut down and I had congestive heart failure. I got huge blackish blisters on my arms and legs (the NF), the biggest of which was 15" long and 4" wide on my right leg/foot, my feet and legs turned blue and purple and my toes were black. They wanted to amputate both of my legs at just under the hips, but my dh fought for me. I still have problems today, but I can still walk and get around. There was one horrible doctor (I had 14 while I was in ICU) that told my dh that he'd just killed me by not letting him amputate. I also had pnuemonia and sepsis. I also developed Staphyloccocus Areus in one of my 3 picc lines.

MRSA is a horrible thing to have. I didn't end up with that, PTL! But, one of the ladies from my homeschooling message board has had her whole family get it. It started with her dd and then I guess the rest of them caught it from her. And it's getting to be more and more common.

Ilv2so6, do you have MRSA or know someone with it? I'm just curious.. if you don't want to talk about it, that's ok.. I understand.

I just read an article about how they've got these scanners that can detect staph infections now. I'll try to post the article over on that Friends without Faces board, I think I remember a place for stuff like that.

Jen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.