HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

8 months on and still tired 8 months on and still tired

Unread 02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
8 months on and still tired

I am a little over 8 months post op now - I felt I recovered fairly quickly and went back to my office job after 5 weeks.

Although I feel a lot better than I did before the op - I still find that at the end of the day (I work 9-5), I can feel really worn out - I was very anaemic before the op and it has taken a long time to get my blood count to near normal again ( I was anaemic for about 5 years - the last year very badly).

I feel that everyone expects me to be 100% now and can't understand that this is still having any effect on me. Am I abnormal or does anyone else feel like this.

Also the last few days my swolle tummy seems to be back with a vengence - my trousers just brushing against it are really uncomfortabe - is this common ??

Thanks
Unread 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Hi kaylou,

I had my TAH about a month after you did and I do have days that leave me feeling very worn out - much more so that I expected. I do feel like most days I'm doing well, but some days I wear out very easily and I feel it is because I'm probably just needing a little extra healing that day (that's what my doctor suspects, too).

I try to take it easy on those days and for a couple of days after as well. It sounds like your body might also be trying to recover from the chronic anemia. Have you had your counts checked lately?

If you're uncomfortable or unsure if this is normal for you, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor - especially if you're worried about the swelling and blood counts. Your health is worth the extra time it takes to check these things out.

I hope you feel better soon. I suspect we're not the only two Sisters who have tough days like this. Hopefully some of them will share as well. Take care of you!
Unread 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM

It took me 16 months to get totally back to normal.

Everyone is different.

Still get tired some days.

Sweetpea
Unread 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Hi there, I am only 5 months from surgery and I say "only" because I still feel like I am healing. I was told that not being able to sleep is hormonal - its our bodies and the changes we have been put through. I go to bed at around 10 and I'm wide awake some mornings at 4 or 5 a.m., feeling like I slept 12 hours. I have forced myself not to nap during the day, took a lot out of me to kick the napping for I was sleeping less at night. I am still very tired at the end of the day and if I do just a little too much, my belly swells so much, I look past 9 months pregnant. If I take it easy the next couple of days, the swelling goes down.

I have heard from other ladies on this site that we can take 6 months to a year to fully heal. Some have no issues, others have lots, some have a few. I'm in between I guess. I am also still numb around my incision and I'm really hoping my nerves will heal, it is such a strange sensation there.

Hope your all continuing to do well.

ALi
Unread 02-17-2007, 08:25 PM

oh boy, can I ever relate! shoot by the six week mark I was supposed to be "all better". I was a looonnggg way from all better!

most days aren't too bad but it doesn't seem to matter where I am or what I'm doing 4pm rolls around and I need a nap! now if I could just convince my boss to let me....

I do still have swollen belly, I've come to the conclusion, it's just always gonna be there so I'd better get used to it! still have pains every once in a while-days that I"m really on the go usually..

overall I'm doing ok, it's certainly better than having Aunt Flo still visiting that's for sure!!
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:38 PM

at 6 months, I am pretty much back to a 'normal' energy level. I've lost 20 pounds, returned to the gym 5 days a week and I'm running 20 -25 miles a week. I am able to do everything i did at the gym prior to surgery and then some.

I do still experience some occasional abdominal twinges; however, they are far and few between..that tells me I am not entirely healed.

I feel wonderful and am wondering why I fought having the surgery for so long. Did I ever really have periods????
Unread 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM

I'm at 7 months post op now and am FINALLY feeling sort of normal again...although I will say that I'm still having a deep aching feeling periodically (ha,ha) in my pelvic region. My energy level is so much better than it was a year ago. I was severely anemic also, and it's finally back to normal (14.5). I still do have days that I feel better than others, but you know what...I think I just forgot that that's the way life is. Sometimes you feel good, sometimes you don't. It's not all good all the time...and I'm just thankful to have some of my spring and spunk back! Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Interesting....I had to have a 4 unit transfusion during my delivery/hyst and a nurse told me I probably wouldn't feel "normal" for a couple of years. I still don't have the energy back...but I thought it was due to my baby who isn't a good sleeper LOL!
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM

kaylou ...you are normal! I think I bounced back to about 50% of normal real quick (with the usual discomforts of course) but it has taken a long time to get back to that old "normal" feeling. I can say I do not have the severe fatigue that I had, not even close. And, if I am tired there is usually a good reason or valid excuse for it.

I still get some swelly belly stuff, including under my ribcage. I do have belly spots that feel deeply bruised, and recently I feel like my numb areas are getting bigger instead of smaller, but at least they don't hurt! My bowels still aren't back to normal, but maybe they weren't before the surgery? I have been really good with exercising almost every day, but it still isn't getting much easier. As a matter of fact, each time it seems to hurt my joints a little more, but I am still keeping up with it because "I should." I am still smoke free since surgery! I am just waiting too for the day that I can put all this behind me, and I don't have to think about it!

So yeah, you are normal. We all still have our aches, but hopefully they are easing up. Wishing you all well!
Unread 02-18-2007, 11:08 PM

I am almost 3 months out and really feeling it. Today I could barely keep my eyes open. I am taking estrogen, but no progesterone (not sure why though). Anyway, going to call the MD tomorrow cause I can't function like this. Still have some swelling and numbness and pangs of pain now and then. Those don't bother me near as much as the constant fatigue and headaches.

Noblerose
TAH 11/28/06 everything taken out due to severe endo/anemia

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.