HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lower left side pain Lower left side pain

Unread 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Lower left side pain

Hi guys, I had a hyst in 4/05 for low grade endometrial cancer, all I had was surgery didn't need any rad or chemo. I've had my checkups since then with no problems but I'm a couple months late on my latest one and it's driving me crazy. (I lost insurance, I have an appt for 4/1 now cuz my insurance is kicking in.) Anyway, every so often, only maybe once a week or so, usually less often, or when I do more exercise, I notice a dull to sharp pain on my lower left side. I definitely take notice when it happens. All I can think is that it's cancer, cancer is back, I kept my ovaries so it's gotta be ovarian cancer now, it's cancer, it's cancer, it's cancer.... It's keeping me awake at night. it's all I can think of. My rational mind knows it's probably nothing or maybe even muscular related to who knows what, extra exercising or whatever, but as soon as it happens I think cancer. And then I go online and lower side pain is of course a symptom of ovarian cancer. Driving me crazy! I'm not sure I even have a question here, just wanted to vent about how much cancer *****.
Unread 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Lower left side pain

s Kmk.

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that darn cancerhead when it's got our hooks in us.

I'm glad you have that appointment scheduled and hopefully will be able to put your fears to rest with it and a good bout of tests.
Unread 02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Lower left side pain

After my first surgery I had the same thing. I had to have a lap for another problem and the dr had to cut down a lot of scar tissue. Also, when you have radiation it does a number on your innerds. Most likely this is what this is.

When did you have your last ctscan. Two years after my first surgery I had a recurrence to that area and had to have more surgery.

When we have pain our body is trying to tell us something...most of the time it is absolutely nothing but still needs to be checked out. Glad you have an appt so soon. If I were you I would insist on a ctscan just to make sure it is nothing.

Just remember your insides are not what they used to be. The scar tissue I had was like spider webs and they just cut them.

Bring up all these issues at your appointment. Write them down cuz when you get in there your mind goes blank.

Good luck,
Juanita
Unread 02-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Lower left side pain

I was diagnosed with ovarian 3A and never had any lower side pain. I did have some tenderness after surgery and after treatment that seemed to be bowel related but corrected itself. You have an appt, I know it is awhile to come and seems like forever, but try to relax and wait for your doc to evaluate your condition. You say the pain comes and goes and does not seem to increase in severity, it may be a digestive thing going on. Hang in there and don't worry about fretting with us while you wait. We all get there some time or other.
Unread 02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Lower left side pain

Maybe be able to describe the pain too. I found that I was asked what the pain felt like (sharp, jabbing, constant, etc)...and I am not good at describing it, I mean I thought pain was pain. I agree with the others that a ctscan would be a good idea too. Just know that you have an appointment coming up and be confident in yourself when you are there...make sure they look into WHY you are getting the pain...not just a way to treat the pain.

Hang in there,
Liz
Unread 02-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Lower left side pain

Kmk81975,
Yes, cancer ! I started having lower left abdominal pain about 6 weeks after finishing radiation. I was at my primary doctor and just mentioned it in passing and he wanted a CT scan, the can showed diverticulosis so the pain can be something else. That cancerhead loves to creep in on us once we have had a cancer dx. I am happy you have an appointment, good luck and let us know how you are doing.
's
Barb
Unread 02-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Lower left side pain

Interesting. I have had lower-left side pain (well, discomfort, mostly) for quite some time. Feels kind of like a stitch in the side but in the wrong place! Since it has not seemed to get worse over time, I am hopeful it is nothing serious or requiring treatment.
I had my gyn/onc appointment and CT in January. Didnt mention this specifically but the pelvic was "normal" After two weeks, three calls, two messages, and 20 minutes on hold, I finally got a nurse to tell me my CT was "normal". I will mention it to my GP when I see hime (tho any issues in that area make him nervous )
I'm also going to fire my gyn/onc. I will be two years out in May and am hopeful my gyn will feel comfortable doing the monitoring.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.