HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Is it possible to lose weight after a complete hysterectomy? Is it possible to lose weight after a complete hysterectomy?

Unread 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Is it possible to lose weight after a complete hysterectomy?

I just need to know if it is possible. I am so depressed because of my fat body. I will do whatever it takes to lose it but, just need to know if it can be done or is it no going to happen. I feel like it will never happen. It's been 5 years since my full hysterectomy. I weight 170 amd am 5'7". I have skinny legs, no butt, a huge amount of back fat and wide waist. I join today, hoping I could get input from people who have had a hysterectomy and may give me some advice. Pleas tell me it is possible. Help, I can't take this anymore. I am now suffering from depression and anxiety since my surgery. I dont' take meds for it because of the weight gain side effect. Anyhow, I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM

My total Hyst was 3 years ago. I'm fighting the flab too! I'm 5' 5" and 157 lbs..MUCH too fat.I need to exercize I know that but it's too cold to walk.(and snowy)
I did try weight watchers before surgery and I did lose weight. I think I'll have to go back..
Unread 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Hi chipper1379 and

Weight loss certainly is possible after having a hysterectomy. In all human beings (including men, women who have had their uterus removed and those who have not) weight gain and loss is about “calories in versus calories out.” Simply put, if the calories you consume in food and beverages outweigh the calories you expend in exercise and other physical activity, weight gain occurs. Contrarily, those who burn more calories than they ingest, lose weight. Just like before surgery, it’s all about the dietary choices, eating habits, and lifestyle decisions that you make.

After my surgery and the initial six-week physical healing time, I began a daily exercise regimen (walking 3 miles per day) combined with restricting my food intake to lower-fat, lower-calorie foods in moderate portions. I lost nearly 25 pounds over the next several months. To keep the pounds off, of course, I have to stick with my diet and exercise program.

SSRI's (anti-depressant medications) are pills that do not contain enough calories (if any!) that would cause those taking them to gain weight. Weight gain or loss depends on what foods you eat and what physical activity you participate in during the time you take the medication.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:28 PM

chipper,
Weight gain isn't inevitable. Although hormonal imbalance can cause weight gain, as can a thyroid imbalance. I do take hrt and have not gained. Another issue I have is a thyroid imbalance, but I take some supplements for that. I can tell when my thyroid is off because I can feel my weight creeping upwards.

Here's two interesting articles regarding weight issues:
Weight and Hrt
Weight and Menopause
And here's an interesting article about thyroid issues:
Thyroid and Hrt

Have you discussed the weight gain with your doctor? I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor.

Unread 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. It makes me feel better to think it is possible to lose weight. I always manage to make myself believe that I can't do things, and really believe they are impossible for me to achieve. Thank you all.
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM

(((((Chipper)))))) One of the most important things to keep in mind, when setting goals and striving to achieve them, is to set reasonable goals, to take it in instalments and to believe in yourself

Some of the tools I have used are to join a weight loss group (there are several including Weight Watchers, TOPS and a few others), to add exercise and to set realistic goals. I've also learned to reward myself with other things than food - a new top or skirt works perfectly .
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Hi! It is possible to lose weight after a hysterectomy. I just had my year anniversary, today as a matter of fact, and I have lost 58 lbs.! My doctor told me to follow a Mediterranian diet, which of course is not really a diet, but a lifestyle change. Sounds hard, but not at all. When you eat more fiber, you feel full longer. I eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, and 2 squares of dark chocolate a day, plus a glass of wine. I walk and strength train with only 5 lb. weights. And the best part? I don't feel like I've given up anything! If you would have told me I could do this a year ago, I would've wondered what you were smoking! (Lots of extenuating circumstances.) Just make up your mind to be healthy in mind, body and spirit and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! (If you THINK you can, you can!) I'm 50, so I know you can do it! Good luck all! Bambina
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM

losing weight is always possible if you exercise and keep track of your calorie intake. do you walk every day? watch your portions? you might benefit from a portion controlled diet like jenny craig or nutrisystem to get you used to what a portion is...combined with the exercise. good luck!
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:31 PM

I had lost 25 lbs with Curves a couple of years ago, then it started creeping back, and I think part of it was the fibroids growing -- my energy just started disappearing. I'm hoping to resume at least some workouts next month, if nothing else then to just walk parts of the circuit! While waiting for my surgery, my husband opined that I shouldn't try to "lose" while waiting, so I've basically eaten what I wanted, and my weight has been somewhat stable (within 5 lbs), so that tells me that the fibroids are contributing to my problems.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM

I too am wondering how much effort it will take to lose the weight. I instantly gained 50 pounds after my hyster. I was also taking Effexor. I'm not sure if it was the medicine or the hyster or both, but it sure packed one fast for me. (I think effexor actually decreases most people's appetites, so don't be alarmed if you are taking this.) The weight gain has finally stopped so now I want to focus on getting it off.

I'm trying to find out what is good for women who have had a total hyster and take no hrt. My metabolism feels non-existent. i never had a weight problem before this. I can find regular diet and exercise information, but is there something special us hyster-women can do? I've never been a dieter, but I still had an idea of what worked for me. But this new body has a mind of it's own and I don't know what to do with it. Please help!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.