Lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of questions Lots of questions

Unread 02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Lots of questions

I went to the Urologist on Fri for my 4 week check. I was placed back on some restrictions. No lifting over 20lbs, no pushing, pulling or straining, and no intercourse for 2 more weeks. My youngest weighs 24lbs. So I guess I was a little disapointed since on Thurs. my Gyn released me from everything except intamicie for 1 week. I had already planned on still taking it easy for a little longer. After Fridays visit I just feel like the breaks have been slammed.
Now for question 1...I am very moody and emotional. I find myself crying at stuff on tv and I go from very happy to very ticked off in a matter of seconds. I have only ever had the crying thing when I was expecting my babies. As for the mood swings I would get them occasionally but not like this. Oh and the crying just started after the dr. appts. Is all of this normal? I had a TVH w/ A&P repair and a bladder sling.
Now for Question 2.....I am having major BM problems. I told my Dr. but he said my body just needs to get used to the changes. I have tried all of his suggestions and then some. Prune Juice, Aplle Juice, Benefiber, Exlax, Vegie based laxatives, Stool Softners, Suppositories, the list goes on. Nothing seems to help much.
Thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Lots of questions

SRS, sorry you are having a tough time. Your body is still going through a lot of changes hormonally and psychologically. I had a lot of spontaneous crying at first, and also mourned in a way.

For the constipation, your bowels may be really sluggish post op. Drink lots of fluid and eat fruits and veggies. I use a fiber supplement. Also the acidophillus in yogurt may help. That must be so frustrating.

You will get better. Talk to your gyn about the mood swings if they continue.

Take good care!
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Lots of questions

Hi srs1633

I'm sorry you had what seems like a set back here. I see you're only 4 wks from your surgery. I feel this is very early for you to have been released at all. I know drs differ but with all the repairs you had done, I'm glad you also have the urologist to give a perspective on what's ok for you to be doing. You had a lot of work done and it would be a shame if you undid any of it and had to have more surgery.
I know it's hard when you have little ones who need you, but I feel this is really for the best and I hope you'll be very cautious and careful not to lift before the dr feels you're healed enough to do it safely.

As far as the emotions go I think you sound pretty normal. Your ovaries have been through a shock and they are probably just still adjusting to the new situation in your body. I know it happened to me and took several weeks for them to function normally.

I'm sorry you're still having the BM problems. From my experience I would suggest you not let up on the stool softners. I found they didn't work all on their own, but especially if you're not eliminating regularly you want to do what you can to keep the stool from getting hard. Drink a lot of water and try to walk as much as you can without causing yourself pain. At four weeks there isn't a lot you can do in the way of exercise, but walking willl do wonders for all sorts of things, including mood, helping you regain strength and it can also help with the BM's.
I hope you see some improvement soon. in there you will heal ing time, try to be patient with the process.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Lots of questions

SRS, I too had some problems with the BM and was able to correct it with Milk of Magnesia. My girlfriend who had the same surgery took "Colace" and said it worked great for her but we live in the boonies and our little market didn't carry it.

Ditto on the fluids, if you aren't getting enough some of the fiber laxatives that you can take will actually work in the reverse and you will be in a mess!

I had the TVH, with no other repairs, and wasn't released for any activities other that 15 minute walks until I was six weeks out, and even then no heavy lifting. Taking good care of myself early paid off and yesterday I was able to play a full round of golf (with permission from my dr.) and it felt great!

You only get one shot at a good recovery without complications. I found that a nice cup of camomile tea with a little chocolate from my secret stash always perked me up!
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Lots of questions

I had a meltdown after about 2.5 weeks. If we are crying at tv programs, it stands to reason we are gonna cry at our setbacks. I can finally watch something besides comedy without crying. I called my doctor and she worked with the hormone thing.
#2 Literally: Have you tried Phillips Milk of Magnesia, yeah the white stuff in the blue bottle. I didnt know they still made the stuff. My doctor recomended it and it worked for me.
Last piece of advice: When in doubt call the doctor. If your emotions get out of control, call your doctor.
Hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register