HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone else having complications after a bladder lift? Anyone else having complications after a bladder lift?

Unread 05-23-2000, 11:31 AM
Anyone else having complications after a bladder lift?

I had LAVH-BSO and a bladder "lift" or suspension four weeks ago. I have so much pain, and I think it's from my bladder. It hurts when my bladder starts to get full, and it's really bad when I wake up and have to go. I know all too well what UTI's feel like, and I don't have the usual burning, so I don't think that's it. It seems to be directly related to how much activity I do. But at 4 weeks post-op, I should be able to do light housework and run some errands without much trouble, right? I haven't really seen much on this site about bladder repair, so maybe it's more unusual than my doctor led me to believe. ANy advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
Unread 05-23-2000, 11:36 AM

Hello, I am sorry that I can't answer your question, because I didn't have any bladder repair. But there are alot of ladies here that did, I am sure someone will be by real soon to answer your questions.

I hope that you get to feeling better soon. If the pain is really bad, the I would say to call the doctor. I don't think that you should be in alot of pain at 4 weeks post op.
Unread 05-23-2000, 12:31 PM
Bladder Repair

I sorry I won't be much help here. But I'm scheduled for a tah bso with anterior/posterior repair on June 16. At my Dr. appointment yesterday, I found out that I'll be coming home with a catheter and measuring output and residual left etc. I'm really afraid of the pain I may be in from this. I heard somewhere that the bladder repair recovery is worse that the hyst. Sounds like that could be right. Sorry you're in so much pain. I'll be following the board to see if anyone has any answers for you. I'll be asking my Dr. more details at my pre-op on 6/7. Let you know what I found out. In the meantime, rest and drink plenty of water!
Unread 05-23-2000, 01:27 PM

HI,

I had bladder repair done with my hyst 6 months ago. I still have some pain when I wake up and my bladder is at its fullest. I have found that drinking more fluids throughout the day actually helps with easing the pain. At four weeks your bladder will still be sore, and needs the extra excercise that more fluids will give it. Try changing your position as you are seated to help with better elimination too. The position of your bladder has changed, and it could be that it is not fully emptying when you go. I also had some pain in the urethra when eliminating, this too has gotten better. I would call your doctor to rule out an infection. Even though it may not feel as though you have one, some of the nerves in that area may not be fully awake yet, and you could miss some of the usual symptoms. Let us know how you are doing!
Unread 05-24-2000, 06:35 AM

See the other posts on bladder troubles in Road Less Traveled. I had TVH, BSO, with everything else repaired, 3 weeks ago. My bladder doesn't empty completely, then goes into a painful spasm. When there's too much remaining in there, my bladder freaks out and cramps, and I'm in pain. My doc gave me a little self-catheter hose to use for draining out the residual. If I continue having the painful spasms, she plans to give me medication--a bladder anesthetic pill, an antispasmodic, or something. In other words, this sounds just like my problem and that of other sisters, and there are things that can be done to help. Fuss (in a gracious, royal tone of voice) till you get help. I'm praying for you to have courage, Your Highness!
Unread 05-25-2000, 10:32 PM

It's called bladder spasms, and they are a bummer!
I got put on Pyridium and it was such a relief. Only one warning, it turns your pee bright orange!
I cried plenty over bladder problems! They still aren't resolved completely. My oldest son graduted this week and I've been SOOO busy. I am having bladder spasms really bad again, pain and swelly belly too.

Time is the biggest factor.

Annie

TAH/bladder repair 3/20/00 (kept ovaries)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway