HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

hpv after hysterectomy? hpv after hysterectomy?

Unread 03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

I haven't been on the board for a while. I had a hysterectomy three and a half years ago for CIN II and CIN III and have had my hpv status monitored and regular 6 monthly paps since then and they have always been fine. My doc has just called with my recent results and although my pap is normal the hpv status is positive. She says she is surprised after being negative for so long. I will make an appointment for a colposcopy tomorrow but am feeling very disappointed and upset about this. What I wondered is if being positive for HPV in a vaginal vault smear necessarily means that there is VAIN 1 or 2 or 3 or if it can just be present without necessarily making cell changes. Has anyone had hpv positive after negative, had no treatment and then for it to be negative again. Many thanks for anyone that replies. Big thank you Debby
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

my gyn does not do pap's now cause I have no cervix left. what exactly are they doing smears of and why?
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

Maven,
My understanding is that if you have HPV (can cause cervical cancer) or if you've ever had an abnormal pap before a hyst where they remove the cervix too, you still have to have paps, but I think the are called vaginal cuff smears. Reason being that after the cervix is removed, the cancerous cells, or precancerous cells, can still come back, jsut obviously not to the cervix but to the upper part of the vagina.
It's recommended to get routine smears every 3 to 6 months until a certain amount of time goes by with normal results IF you had abnormal results before.
Again, this is just what I have learned through my doctor and research.
I had my cervix removed and have to go and get smears every 3 months.. oh the joys!! I didn't know that before surgery!! I may have elected to keep the cervix if I had!!!
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

debby - if the pap smear came back normal, then there's probably nothing wrong, even if the hpv is showing positive. just having hpv,as you know, doesn't necessarily cause problems. for me, i had a hysterectomy because of recurring cervical dysplasia, and i had a couple of normal paps after the hysterectomy, but at my 18 month point, my pap came back abnormal, indicative of dysplasia. so, i had a colposcopy, and had biopsies, and sure enough, it showed vain1. had another colposcopy and biopsy 3 months after that and the vain1 is still with me. my doctor isn't going to do any treatment at this level, but we'll be watching to be sure it doesn't progress. i hope that you don't have recurring dysplasia, debby. let us know how things go. best wishes.

joanne
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

my doctors, labs, hospital, still call the test a pap smear....it can be done with samplings from the vaginal cuff or vaginal walls if there's no cervix (or even if there is one!).
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

Thanks so much Joannel. I feel so depressed tonight as I really thought I had managed to get rid of the hpv as it's been a long time since it was positive at my hysterectomy. Wish that the recently approved vaccine could be used for us too. Anyway I'll have the colposcopy and see what's going on. Do you do anything advised by your doc to try to fight the hpv? Thanks Debby
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

i may not be the best person to listen to because i find having hpv and the dysplasia to be a very frustrating battle. and, my oncologist told me that recurrence of the dysplasia in the vagina after a hysterectomy is unusual, though not rare. as for doing something to fight the hpv? well, i'm not totally convinced that something can actually be done. but, to keep up my immune system in general, i try to eat healthy foods, mostly organic, practice yoga, try to get sufficient sleep, and that sort of thing. life is stressful and i try to keep an even keel - as much as possible.
by the way, is a gynecological oncologist doing the colposcopy? i had been back to my regular gyn after the hysterectomy but when the pap came back abnormal, she sent me back to the gyn/onc. it's a different doc than who previously saw me, and she's great...in addition to her excellent medical skills, she really treats me as a whole person, and is encouraging and positive....in a realistic way. i really appreciate, especially because i'm not a very optimistic person.
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

Some doctors recommend the supplement Folic Acid to help keep HPV at bay. I've taken 800 mg a day since treatment.
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
hpv after hysterectomy?

Boy am I glad I found this thread!

I have a few questions: Is cervical cancer a solid mass/tumor and did anyone have it show up on an ultrasound?

The reason I ask is my doc recently sent me for an ultrasound after I called to say I was having some pain on my right side; like I've had in the past when I had a large ovarian cyst. Turns out I have a 'solid mass' on top of my vaginal cuff and near the back of my bladder. They are sending me for a pelvic MRI to get a better look at what it might be. My doc says she has no idea what it could be. Gee golly, great. Some background: In one year I went from a normal pap to CINIII. They did cryo and all paps after were fine but I've read that cryo can cause it to be more difficult to detect cell changes...o vey! I had a hyster in Oct 05 and again paps since then have been ok, my last one being in June. What's the likely hood that those bad cells were 'hanging out' waiting to cause havoc and now have on top of my lovely new cuff?

My MRI is next Thursday...until then I'm just trying to piece this puzzle together. I do so much better with things when I feel well informed.

Thanks for listening and please, if you have any expierence with any of this, I'd love to hear from you!

Jiggy
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
hpv after hysterectomy?

I am glad that I found this thread. I had TAH in Dec '04 and thought that I was all done with pap tests, but nooooo. I'm 44 years old and had my first abnormal pap after the birth of my 1st child at 23. Doc performed cryo back then and I didn't have any more problems until 2004 just before my hysterectomy, this time doc wasn't concerned because I was already schedule for surgery due to endo and cysts. My GYN retired last year. Since surgery I have had 2 paps, 1 normal and the latest one is abnormal again. Here is what has me baffled....my new doc called with my test results and scheduled a six month recheck. The only info that she gave me was HPV test was negative. Why would she wait so long before a recheck? To be honest I wasn't thrilled with her to begin with. Hopefully someone can give me some advice or insight.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.