HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

can chronic chapped lips be caused by hormone imbalance? can chronic chapped lips be caused by hormone imbalance?

Unread 03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
can chronic chapped lips be caused by hormone imbalance?

hi all, i've had chronic chapped lips since my surgery. there were several weeks of really cold weather and the doc said that's all it was. well, i've never had chapped lips that lasted for this long, over 2 months. and when we had a week or so of warm, humid weather, i still had the chapped lips.

is there any evidence that hormones affect chapped lips?

thanks!
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM

I'm only one week post so this might not apply, but my facial skin has been flaky. I assumed it must be a side effect of one of the meds. Could it be a side effect of a new medication you're taking?
Unread 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Hi musiclady
I have never heard of a connection, but that doesn't mean there might not be one. Dry skin is one that can have a connection with hormones and the lips could possibly be an extention of that.
If you look through the list of symptoms in the Too Much Estrogen, Too Little you can see if you're having some symptoms that could be related to hormone imbalance.

I would imagine a more likely reason would be you're not drinking enough water. I would try increasing your water intake and see if that doesn't make a big difference. Let us know if you find out anymore.
's, Rita
Unread 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM

preciouspearl, i read the list and now i'm more confused! lol i have lots of symptoms for all three 'lack of' lists. i drink a lot of water all day. i've been on BCPs for a week to stop my one remaining ovary from ovulating. since i started the pills, i've had a huge increase in appetite and sore, swollen breasts.

i'll be calling the doc this week to see if it's these symptoms are normal for this brand. i have been losing weight and certainly do not want to start gaining. i may have to try another brand. (taking yasmin) the chapped lips bother me because i'm a music teacher and either talking or singing all day and by the end of the day my lips really hurt. i've never had this problem before.

thanks for the link!
Unread 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

I've had chronic chapped lips off and on for the past year. It seems to have started after my first (and only) dental crown was applied. I also drink lots of water during the day. I haven't found the trigger that starts the chronic chapping, and neither my dentist or doctor had any ideas about the causes. The only other link is that occasionally a new brand of lipstick will dry out my lips.

So that isn't much help. However the lip balms that have brought my lips back to normal are: Blistex Silk & Shine (spf 15) and Banana Boat Aloe Vera (spf 30). Nothing else has done the trick.

Hope this feedback helps. I relate to the frustration of really dry lips - it's so uncomfortable and distracting!
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:17 PM

thanks bee&butterfly, i'll try those brands. i've developed a sensitivity to chapstick medicated and cherry scented.

i have lots of food and environmental allergies and i've found that my fibromyalgia gets worse when i'm exposed to my triggers. i've noticed more fibro symptoms lately and think it's time for more allergy testing.

thanks for the support!
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM

I found that Burt's Bees chapstick works very well.
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM

I have had really chapped lips since my surgery in January, but they're getting better now. I've found that if I use any kind of lip balm or lipstick with menthol, my lips get worse. I've had to throw away several lipsticks and balms because of the reaction. Good luck getting your lips back to normal!
Kimba

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway