HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Pooping????

I attached this message earlier to a long thread and didn't hear anything back so I'm starting my own. Please help. Oh, and don't mind all the tooting references, I swear everyone elses messages were on the same subject!

Ladies you have got to get your nerve up around your men. Ok, so maybe I never tooted around him at first, in fact I think I tried to get him to believe that I just didn't do it, but after 2 kids and 7 years of marriage, let's just say I don't hold back. And yet I am horrified when he does it. Why is that? Any way I'm so glad to hear that everyone else was in as much pain as I was post op. I'm 5 days out now and I feel great but HOLY COW those first 12 hours, words can not express. So now my big, huge, very very large problem is that I can not poop. For the life of me, I just can't do it! I had surgery on Tues...it's Sunday...this isn't natural. I have tried, herbal tea, stool softners, suppositories, enema, and I just took 3 Tbls of mineral oil. I'm thinking about opening a pharmacy out of my bathroom. What do you guys think? It's like I have no control in that area any more and I'm sure the vicodin isn't helping but I'm not willing to give that up just yet! Help me. Besides those first 12 hours, this is by far the worst part of the surgery. Let me know your thoughts, suggestions, anything you can offer. I'm obviously low enough to post a message about pooping so I'll try anything. Thanks!
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Pooping????

Hi there. I also had surgery on Tuesday and FINALLY poop this am! I was given stool softeners from the time I came out of surgery and the dr said NOT to stop anytime soon! I agree with your "tooting" opinions. My huband and I have joked and laughed about it all week and this am, when I finally pooped, I announced it to the entire family! Don't worry. Hopefully you will go soon or if all else fails, call your dr on Monday for some help! Good Luck!
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Pooping????

I had the same problem and the dr listened to my stomache and said evrything sounded ok he also told me I was not eating enough after he confirmed I was drinking enough water and walking. I was over a week before I went and I took 1 stoolsoftner everyday prior so it din not hurt that much. Also he said a lot of pain pills and vitamins cause constipation.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Pooping????

I did bowel prep day before surgery and was fairly empty due to having a clear liquid diet 24 hrs before surgery. I had my surgery Oct 24th (Tuesday) and didn't have a bowel movement until the following Monday (Oct 30th). Pain meds can make it a little slower moving or the fact that you may not be eating much. I had nothing much in so not much to push out. I ate Metamucil waffers with breakfast every morning. Gas?? Oh yes. I've been married for nearly 12 years and I got over my shyness after being married 5 years. I get my husband back very well...I just lock the car windows.
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Pooping????

I took a stool softener, just 1, every night and when that didn't work I used the Fleet's suppository....that did it in about 10 minutes. But maybe you just haven't eaten enough yet to have to go. I also drank prune juice and ate prunes..it helped somewhat.

It wasn't until I was about 5 weeks out that things got back to normal. Of course, I was off the meds and eating regular meals like I always did by then.

It will get better, believe me, it will. Keep in mind you're only a few days out of surgery, so it's not unusual at all. Good luck on your recovery!
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Pooping????

My SiL, who is a nurse, said the key was drinking lots of water and walking, walking, walking. I am 6 days post-op after a TAH/BSO and have had BMs every day, after I started eating the second day. I have used suppositories twice and have been eating 5 prunes a day (those cherry-flavored ones are really delicious!), and a stool softener with every meal. I was told to take those for the first month, since I had a lot of adhesions. I wish you good luck!
Unread 03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Pooping????

The key is water water water, eat fruit, prunes and oranges, I even drank warm prune juice :::::
at least thats what my MD wrote in his discharge notes. I would say though, before it goes on too long you need to be seen by an MD- you SURELY dont want an impaction. Good luck pooping, I swear constipation is enough to make you wanna pull your hair out! ~~~~sending poopy vibes your way....
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Pooping????

Hi - well your problem is certainly not unique so don't feel alone.

I had my surgery 2/10 and it was 26 days before I had my first un-aided bm.

Get some MOM (Milk of Magnesia) and use it if you haven't gone for a couple days, you do need to get rid of it!

Alot of us on my Post-op board had/have the same problem so hang in there it does get better. Stool softeners atleast 2ce a day, but ask your dr. for instructions on quantities.

Good Luck
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Pooping????

I think everyone has summed it up....... the meds really mess up your system and I elected not to use them post op and had my first BM the morning three days after surgery and all has been fairly normal since then. I have been diligent about drinking lots of water (officially no more soda since surgery) and walk as much as possible, I do believe that makes a huge difference. I am going back to work this week and really expect things to be normal.
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Pooping????

My surgery was 3/6 and my first poop 3/10. In addition to all of the above, I had preparation H in the house due to prior hemmorroids and found that that helps. Also, have been eating dark chocolate raisinettes bought by my very nice husband for ME. Have not gone since, but hear the wheels turning. didn't know about the vicodan - am still taking but hoping to cut back.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.