HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can uterine prolapse cause bladder 'pressure'? Can uterine prolapse cause bladder 'pressure'?

Unread 06-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Can uterine prolapse cause bladder 'pressure'?

I have Stage One uterine prolapse. Still haven't decided on hysterectomy. Was just wondering if this early stage of prolapse can cause pressure on the bladder? I feel like I have to "pee" quite often. Also, will my uterus definitely keep dropping, or stay where it is for a while?
Thanks for your help!
Unread 06-13-2001, 09:19 PM

Hi, Sandy,

Uterine prolapse can cause pressure on the bladder. I think bladder prolapse is pretty common along with uterine prolapse, too.

My doc told me when I was diagnosed with prolapse that the ligaments holding everything in place had lost their elasticity and could give out at any minute. I don't know if this is true of everyone with prolapse.

If you'll search "prolapse" using the link at the top of the page you'll find lots of helpful information.

Also, there is a very very graphic site http://www.pelvicfloor.com with detailed info and pictures (can be disturbing).

Hope this helps,
Janine
LAVH/BSO with anterior and posterior repairs
for uterine prolapse and other problems
3/29/01
Unread 06-13-2001, 09:45 PM

Just this week I'm noticing bladder problems with my prolapse. Everytime I laugh, sneeze or even pick up my 2 year old, I leak.
This wasn't a problem before.

Scully
Unread 06-14-2001, 06:23 AM
Yes

Sandy, definately they can affect each other. I'm having a TAH/BSO with a birch bladder repair on the 20th. Both are prolapsed quite a bit, so I'm having the same incontinence problems as you.
Have you talked to your Dr. about the problem? As soon as I mentioned the leakage problem he referred me to a Urologist, who ran me through a series of tests and decided to correct the bladder problem when I have the hysterectomy. So, both Drs. will be there for surgery.
I strongly suggest that you mention your problems with your Dr. From what I was told, the bladder problems will not necessary correct itself once the uterus is removed.
Good luck with this very irritating problem.
Unread 06-14-2001, 09:24 AM

After my second lap for sever endo, my uterus prolapsed because my uterus had been fused to my colon and when the adhesion was cut, the ligaments just gave out from lack of use and stretching.

I had to pee all the time and my bladder never felt truly empty. It also put pressure on my rectum because my uterus was retroverted and therefore leaning back instead of forward.

Since my hyst, well, I no longer have that problem.
take care
tiffany
Unread 06-14-2001, 11:36 AM

wow tiffany, fused to your colon? ouch. I have a lot of colon problems(stomache aches.irritable bowel) I wonder if the uterus is causing colon problems?

Scully
Unread 06-14-2001, 12:25 PM

Scully - I have irritable bowel syndrome too. Maybe if I had a hyst. this would help. It would certainly help the monthly problems - the 'runs' the day before my period every month.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.