HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

hysterectomy, debulking & appendectomy hysterectomy, debulking & appendectomy

Unread 03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
hysterectomy, debulking & appendectomy

does anyone know if removing the appendix is part of debulking surgery? just prior to my original surgery feb. 19/07, i asked my surgeon (ob/gyn) if he would be removing my appendix as well as uterus, ovaries, mass. he said that would make a "clean" surgery into a "dirty" surgery. i am going to a gyn/oncologist for removal of uterus (unable to remove at original surgery) and debulking on march 22. would it be appropriate for me to request appendix removal? does anyone know if there would be additional risk involved?

while looking up info on intra-peritoneal chemo, which i will be having sometime after the surgery, i found a site discussing cancer of the appendix, which alerted me to the risks of a burst appendix, esp. if one already has cancer cells in the abdominal area. my friend had her appendix burst while waiting for hours in e.r., first being incorrectly dx with diverticulitis, then finally 48 hrs. later surgery, 8 days in hospital (during the sars episode), so no visitors. luckily she survived!

thanks for your thoughts on the above!
Unread 03-17-2007, 01:03 PM

I am unsure of the total reason for appendix removal but my dr. mentioned it as a possibility (as well as 1 or both ovaries if diseased, but doesn't think he'll have to remove them).

I have asked several people and have been told a couple of reasons:

1. If there are adhesions attached, it is preventative to remove the appendix
2. If the surgery is abdominal, this is to help prevent the need for a later surgery and increased risk for possible adhesions
3. My mom stated that when a hyster was done abdominally (back when - lol) that it was routine to simply remove the appendix since they were already in there.

In fact, one of my first posts was on that very topic because I had never heard of it as part of the hyster!

Best of luck to you!

Teri
39 TAH scheduled for 10 Apr due to adenomyosis and suspected adhesions
Unread 03-17-2007, 01:27 PM

What is debulking? I have never heard of that before.

My Dr. said they used to routinely take they appendix. Because of insurance complaining, it is no longer routine. He said they try to leave it. But if it is covered with sticky endo and it will take 30 minutes to clean it off, they will just take it out. And if it is attached to anything else or isn't healthy, out it goes too.

Maybe debulking is taking out everything else we don't need?!?! I'm curious now!

Sandra
Unread 03-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Debulking is done with ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer spreads throughout the abdomen and this is cutting it out.
Unread 03-17-2007, 02:05 PM

nogreatmischeif,
This is something you should talk with your gyn/onc. I know that my appendix was removed as part of the debulking surgery for ovarian cancer.

Debulking is removal as much of the cancer as possible and removal of the common areas that the cancer may go to. Usually the oomentum is removed, lymph nodes are checked and there is a pelvic washing. Many of us have also had our appendix removed.

You may want to check out the Cancer Concerns portion of HysterSisters where there are others who are going through what you are now.

s
Jane
Unread 03-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Well they took my appendix too....they did go out in the lobby and ask my hubby what he thought but guess it was a little inflamed. So glad not to have to worry another surgery for that. Kay
Unread 03-17-2007, 02:19 PM

thank you everyone for your replies. i will definitely phone the gyn/onc on monday and ask about removing my appendix as well. it seems as though it is not that uncommon. i would feel better knowing that i didn't have to worry about appendicitis in the future! you've all given me confidence to ask the surgeon about this. thanks! happy st. patrick's day!!
Unread 03-18-2007, 06:44 PM

My vote: take the appendix out
I went in for my first abdominal surgery last August(diverticulitis possibly caused by endo on the intestines). There was no plan for a routine appendectomy. The surgeon noticed that my appendix was on the wrong side but seemingly healthy, but he removed it because of it's location. Lab results found a small cancerous tumor!

Last month I had a full hysterectomy and this new surgeon's plan was to remove the appendix. He explained that with all the abdominal pain I've been having, it was better to remove all doubt by taking it out. When I explained that it was already gone, he was pleased.

He didn't seem to think there's any risk of removing an appendix during hysterectomies because it's a little side appendage, not like cutting into the intestines.
Good luck! This week will pass very quickly for you! The last week before these things go faster because of all the little things you're trying to fit in.
Unread 03-18-2007, 07:11 PM

thank you bubblescubed...it helps to know your experience. even though i have just recently been dx with ovarian cancer (feb. 19/07), i didn't have any abdominal pain or symptoms (other than a clear discharge, then spotting 6 yrs. post-menopause). i hope my gyn/onc is as understanding as yoursl...i wish he had already suggested taking my appendix! i've only met him once so i feel a little intimidated, but i am going to phone tomorrow morning (monday) and get this cleared up. if it wasn't for all the advice i've been given on this thread, i might not have had the nerve to ask! thanks everyone!
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm so sorry that you have to go through with this.

I was so anxious and flustered in person with the one surgeon, and forgot half my questions. When I had concerns I called my surgeon's office and he personally spoke with me for about 20 minutes on the phone, explaining things and helping me to make educated decisions. I guess with your situation, you don't have the option of shopping around for another surgeon.

I hope this gets easier for you. You're now in my prayers.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.