HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Birth Control Pills for Atypical Hyperplasia? Birth Control Pills for Atypical Hyperplasia?

Unread 03-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Birth Control Pills for Atypical Hyperplasia?

Anyone hear of taking birth control pills for atypical hyperplasia? I've had awful luck with progesterone alone and OBGYN said low dose BC pills might help...and re-biopsy in two months...but they have estrogen right?? which just compunds the problem, right?? He says it's very low dose, but still... I'm w/ a GYN ONC now and am holding off on the BC pills until we determine plan of attack...most likely surgery... but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Thx....Nancy
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:44 AM

I Had Endo And The Doc Had Put Me On Bc Pills Even When I Had My Tubs Tied When He Went To Do My Hys He Said The Pills Were Helping Because He Dident See As Much Endo So They Do Help With Things But Had To Be Off Of Them A Month Befor Hys
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Thank you, but I might have confused the situation when I titled this 'endo hyperplasia'....I don't mean endometriosis, I mean atypical hyperplasia (pre-cancerous). Thank you!
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM

I was treated with progesterone alone, but didn't tolerate the synthetic version at all. The gyn get me a natural progesterone that I could take. I'm sorry but I don't remember the name. She didn't want to try even the lowest doses of birth control. Anyway there is more than 1 type of progesterone available. It might be work asking about one of those.

Hope this helps.

Lyn
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
BCP for hyperplasia

I also had this same thing I was put on progesterone pills for 10 days because the bleeding was so bad they wanted to try and clean it out. Didnt solve the problem still very heaving bleeding afterwards and no solution. So a D & C was done. Then I was put on Depo shots for 6 months to try and help with the hyperplasia. When they did a second biopsy which I was awake for this time(OUCH) they said the hyperplasia was gone and put me on low dose birth control to try and control the periods so the hyperplasia didnt return. End result they didnt work and in August I had a TAH leaving the ovaries. I asked for them to do the TAH back before the D & C was done and they wanted to try and fix the problem. (RIGHT) During the time of being on depo shots I hadnt had a period for a year. So the birth control pills were suppose to get it started again. Which they did three months later and then that is when the cramps got so bad I couldnt stand it. One long mess after another!!! I sure hope you do not have to go through all of that and they find a better way to get it taken care of. Best of luck!!! Patty
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Yeah...I took it for 3 months, then off for three and on for three. Didn't replace the need for a hyst, doc just wanted the lining to shed as she was afraid it might get worse as I was trying to make a final decision about the hyst. I also have cervical cancer in the family and am a breast cancer survivor. because of this and other issues, a hyst. was my final choice. (after waffling for years) I admit the endo. hyperplasia was what finally pushed me to have the surgery. Cancer....been down that road...not again.

Jean
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Yah know...I have said this before after seeing posts about the endometrial biopsy....I'd like to shoot my doc for making me do that darn thing every month for a bloody year- awake and without ANY numbing or anything. I've heard (and seen posts) women say it doesn't hurt....but it was awful for me. I have a HUGE tolerance to pain, and I was crying like a girl. I hadn't considered asking for numbing or anything until I saw that some women (postings) actually are sedated for this thing....or numbed, etc. My doc is gonna hear about this....

Jean
Unread 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Hi Nancy- I was on desogen (low dose BC pills) for 2 years after my enomet.hyperp. was dx the first time, I then switched to seasonal as I was getting debilitating migraines during my placebo week. Silly me took myself off of the BC last summer to see if I was in menopause since I'd been on bc pills for 4 years and pcp said bc pills can mask menopause. Well as you know, 6-7 months later, hyperpl. is back, this time atypical.
I had D&C this past monday as I'm trying to put surgery off until a more convenient time (2more months), if path report comes back same as endo biopsy I'll be trying Prometrium. I hope I have good luck with it. My problem is not bleeding...I've only had one period in the last 8 months, just additional spotting after biopsy and D&C.
If path from D&C comes back with cancer cells, I'm going to have hyst asap, and hope my professors work with me.
I hope I get results tomorrow, unless they're not the results I want. I hate getting bad news on a Friday when you have to stew over the weekend until Monday to take action. I contacted a gyn/onc recommended through a friend of mine a couple of hours from here. I talked to his office and they said to make an appt with them if path comes back as cancer. I had my first D&C in May of 2002, so BC pills kept the hyper. at bay for over four years. I did have additional biopsies, which before now had been negative.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.