HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Remove Cervix or Not?? Remove Cervix or Not??

Unread 03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

I am scheduled for TAH May 23. I had a myomectomy 11 years ago and have experienced terrible fibroid /abdominal pain for the past few years. Therefore, it is time.

I am 43 and I would really like to keep my ovaries so that they can naturally manage my hormones. But, I dont know why or why not to have the cervix removed?? The doctor told me it is up to me but I am not sure how to choose. I'd prefer to not have them go back in ever again so for that reason I say take it out. If its removal will cause me any kind of discomfort down the road, like during intercourse, I'd rather keep it. I don't want to have issues having sex afterward and I am not sure if taking the cervix makes any difference with that.

Can anyone share why they did or didn't keep their cervix? Does it serve any function after the uterus is gone? (like supporting your abdominal wall or another non-reproductive benefit)??
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Hi Ann - my doc recommended having the cervix removed because I had GIGANTIC (football size) fibroid and he told me it could regrow on the cervix... but if I had it removed it'd have no place to regrow. That was an easy decision for me. Take it OUT! With the cervix removed there IS a greater chance of prolapse but he felt the benefit of removing it outweighed the risks I'd be taking of that happening. Prolapse happens in a certain percentage of cases and can require further surgery but it isn't necessarily the same KIND of surgery. I did request my ovaries be left in and thankfully when the doc got in there they were clear to stay, but just so you know, the surgery can cause your ovaries to go into shock and shut down for a few weeks (mine did). Mine also kicked back into gear after about week three so the hot flashes and dry skin cleared up at that point. But for some women they don't kick back in! Leaving them in isn't an absolute guarantee that they'll function like they did... and your uterus also produces some hormones so you may still notice some difference.

Issues with sex with or without a cervix vary greatly from what I've seen on this site and speaking to others. For myself (I'm just at the six week spot) I have finally been cleared to give it a try and everything seems to work fine even without the cervix. Maybe a bit different sensation than before, but not painful and certainly not different in a way that makes me wish I'd left it there. But the fibroid I had was pushing lots of that stuff around so even with just THAT removed my guess is I'd be feeling differently. I guess I'd say there are no guarantees regarding ovaries working, problems with sex... it's all kind of a wait and see because we're all different. If you have further concerns about how to make the decision or what you should be taking into consideration, ask your doc for another appointment where you can just discuss this kind of stuff. And maybe get a second opinion on it.
Unread 03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

I'm 40 and had an LSH five weeks ago, and kept ovaries and cervix. I was worried about the possibility of vaginal dryness that some report after having the cervix out, and my doc and I both felt that I was not at above-average risk for cervical cancer. I was equally concerned about losing pelvic support from the ligaments hooked to the cervix. So, the decision for me to keep my cervix was easy.

To the great relief of my husband , I was cleared by my doc last week to do the wild thing. So far so good--with no dryness (no pain, either, which I was expecting). Since we're already on the subject of the doin' the nasty, the big "O" was a little different, but about the same in intensity. Overall, I'm very happy with my decision, both to have the hysterectomy and to keep my cervix.
Unread 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

annie 1234, thanks for the reply. I was worreid about not having my sexual feelings like before but I never thought about dryness. I saw in another post that if you have a TAH you have to use libricant. That must be why.
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Thank you ladies for your post, i also have to decide if i want to keep my cervix, I'm having a LAVH BOS on April 6th, after reading the experience you wonderful ladies share on this site I've decided to keep my cerix can't keep my ovaries because of ovarian mass. I will take HRT even though I'm turning 50 the hot flashes are a killer and don't want to deal with vaginal dryness and bone problems.
Unread 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Hi Ann43,

I had a LSH at 46 and kept my cervix. I am almost 3 yrs post-op now and I am still pleased with my decision.

In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since it was sturdy and I had normal pap smears for years.

Mary
Unread 03-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Ann

Very unfortunately(!) I didn't find HysterSisters before my surgery. Basically, I didn't know anything about anything and thought my cervix had to be removed.

Due to various complications during surgery, it ended up being left and, having weighed up all the info I've come across since, I'm actually very pleased I still have it.

It's very much a personal decision and the best thing you can do is research as much as possible and ask as many questions as possible, so you can make an informed decision.

It's not easy, but I wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Unread 03-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

My cervix was removed during my hyst over six years ago because endo was present there and causing abnormal paps. I do not miss my cervix one bit and actually, the only way I notice it is gone is I now have normal pap/vaginal smears!

There are many, many thread discussing this topic so you may want to do a site search to read the many other threads! Best wishes to you for whatever is best for you!
Unread 03-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Mine is gone. I didn't want any part of my uterus left in me. Orgasms are great and dryness doesn't seem to be an issue. I am not cleared for sex yet. I will say it is not uncommon to have some issue with the vaginal cuff. I did have a minor infection but it has cleared. Also removing the cervix makes the surgery more complex. Not only do they sew your vagina but they have to reattach ligaments if you remove your cervix.

Good luck with your decision.

Sherri
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Remove Cervix or Not??

Wow, thanks so much, this is all such great info. I really appreciate all of your input sisters. My whole uterus has fibroid according to my gyno who did the myomectomy 11 years ago (small ones all over I guess) with that one really big one left that is just killing me. I'll have to see how much the cervix is affected by the fibroids.

I am a lucky one. I never bleed unless it is my monthly cycle and I start on a dime with really mild periods. I am having the TAH due to the constant pain alone.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.