HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

light brown/gray bad smelling discharge light brown/gray bad smelling discharge

Unread 03-23-2007, 09:03 PM
light brown/gray bad smelling discharge

I am 3 weeks post-op today. I am still having a light brown-gray discharge that has an unpleasant smell. I have read that this is normal from the stitches dissolving and I have also read that this means infection. I would rally like some replys from all of you ladies to see if this is normal. I am already on anti-biotics for a bladder infection but do I need to call the doctor. I have read so many conflicting articles. I also had some endometriosis cauterized along with my LAVH-could this be what is causing this. I am worried that something is wrong--input PLEASE
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM

My suggestion would be to call your dr. I didn't have any odor..even when my stitches were dissolving.
Unread 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM

I also think you should call your dr. I have a brown discharge which is getting less and less. The dr said it could last up to 12 weeks but I do not have an odor. Usually odor means there is an infection so please call the dr. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:24 AM

Call your Dr.
The fact that the discharge has a bad smell makes me think it could be infection as well.
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:32 AM

Hi Adleger,

Well, it could be normal, or it could be an infection. I agree that you should call your Dr and let him/her decide. That is the only way you are going to have peace about it. Let us know what he says.

Kay
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:46 AM

Thanks ladies-I probably will call the DR on Monday--maybe he can examine me to see what is going on. i am already on Cipro for bladder infection, maybe it will help with this also.

adleger
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:35 AM

I wished you would have called your dr. on Friday. I was diagnosed over a week ago with a vaginal cuff infection. I had no discharge or odor. I just felt like my whole vagina was raw and full of rocks. My experience is these infections progress fast.

There is a good chance that the meds you are own are good for vaginal infections as well. I was given Flagyl and Doxocycline and my dr. said they would cover bladder infections as well.

I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you are doing.

Sherri

Good luck
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:37 AM

I also had that smelly, thick discharge, it took almost a month of a antibiotic(flagyl) to finally clear it up. Now everything is fine, My doctor that this sometimes happens after surgery(lavh) and that it is nothing that I did or didn't do, but it sure is very frustrating. Hang in there, things do get better
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:39 AM

How long did you have a discharge of any kind? I was 3 weeks post-op Friday(yesterday) and I am still having this. From what I read some women can have one up to 6 weeks. I am not in pain and do not have fever of any kind.
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:44 AM

The discharge that I had started around 3 weeks after surgery, and I was on a vaginal cream antibiotic for 5 days, nothing happened, went back to Doctors, oral antibiotic for 7 days, still didn't clear up, finally was put on antibiotic for 14 days and finally cleared up.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.