charley horse | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

charley horse charley horse

Unread 03-24-2007, 06:10 AM
charley horse

Hey all! I had a TAH BSO on 3/12/07 and have a question. I've had one post op visit with the Dr and got a clean bill of health. If fact, he said I could start driving short distances. Yea!

My problem is that I have started getting severe charley horses (muscle spasms) at night in my left calf. Last night was the worst. It would not let up! It woke me up. Any suggestions at to cause and remedys? I dont have any redness or swelling.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2007, 07:39 AM
charley horse

Sorry you're having leg pains, especially when you're trying to rest. Maybe you should call the dr., just to be safe. It's probably just from being off your feet for a while, but you also don't want to risk DVT, either. Call and see what he/she thinks or has suggestions for comfort.

Take care and please keep us posted.
Unread 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM
charley horse

Please call your doc and have them do a D-Dimer blood test just to make sure its not a DVT.
I've been there and done it and its no fun believe me. I ignored my symptoms because they weren't the typical ones and nearly died.
Its better to be safe than sorry.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks

thanks for the replies!
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:35 PM
charley horse

Please have yourself checked. If it is good old-fashoned charlie horses, there is an old-fashioned "remedy" that my Mom and brother swear by. They sleep with a bar of soap (any soap will do, except Ivory) under their pillow in the bed. Both have said that since they've started doing this, neither has had a charlie horse at night.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 03-25-2007, 12:15 AM
charley horse

Because of the risk of blood clots after surgery, even a few weeks after surgery, it is a very good idea to check with your doctor. If a blood clot is ruled out, there are a few other things it could be and your doctor may have an idea of which one it might be: low potassium (you can eat a couple bananas a day), low calcium, dehydration, hormones, restless leg syndrome, the list actually goes on and on!

I have legs aches due to low calcium, dehydration, and if I am seditary for a long period of times (like a few days because of a migraine). If I watch those three things, I am usually okay.

Best wishes to you and do let us know what your doctor says!
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:43 AM
charley horse

Hello. I also had a charley horse several nights after my surgery. I asked others in the hospital but I was the only one getting it. I thought it was lack of exercise, lying in the hospital bed, or dehydration, so I just walked as much as possible. I still got a few when I got home, 5 days later, but then it subsided.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register