HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

6 Months Post-Op and Feeling Great! 6 Months Post-Op and Feeling Great!

Unread 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
6 Months Post-Op and Feeling Great!

To All Hystersisters: I have pretty much weaned myself away from this fantastic site that helped me successfully recover from my surgery, but just want to leave with a positive word for anyone interested. Today is my "official" 6 month hysterversary, and I am feeling great! Although I still feel I am in (the much later stages of) recovery, I have more energy than I ever had in the couple of years preceding surgery. I did EVERYTHING my doctor suggested I do immediately following my surgery -- the bedrest, no working, no lifting, no housework, no driving, no intercourse, etc. -- until she gave me the okay to return to work and do more. I listened to my body. I "read" my swelly-belly for extra swelling, the universal sign of doing too much. I ate nutritious foods to help my body heal and avoid gaining weight. If I had any questions that either my doctor could not or did not answer, I immediately logged onto Hystersisters and researched the information I needed. I had one minor setback: my vaginal cuff stitches took longer to heal and required three silver nitrate treatments (abstinance from intercouse increased to 12 weeks, but oh well because life is never fair!). I am not a "Mrs. Perfect", but I was so anxious to feel good for once and for all that I did everything in my control to get well.

Now, my stubborn swelly belly is essentially gone, even though I predict a few more months until I won't ever have to think about it again. Next month, at 49 years young, I will complete my first ever 5K Run/Walk. While the prognosis of a 6-month-to-1-year recovery seems like forever at the beginning of the hysterectomy journey, the truth is the time has raced by. Pretty soon, the surgery will be a distant memory while the incision scar remains a badge of healing and courage.

Best wishes to all Hystersisters, new and old. Please do everything your doctor says, take responsibility for your own health and healing wherever possible, and never, ever give up hope of a healthier, brighter future when faced with problems that are out of your control. Hugs to all.

FF
Unread 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
6 Months Post-Op and Feeling Great!

Hi All,

I forgot that I had a 6 month anniversary last month until I was surfing and came upon this site on "my favorites". I have had the most amazing recovery-also did everything the doctor advised. Once in awhile I remember that I had a TAH when I see the incision scar and experience occasional itching. Another result of the surgery is that I feel at least 15 years younger. Regardless of how seamless my recovery has been, I feel that I need to acknowledge how this site comforted me during the first few weeks. Any question or concern I had was either addressed on the site already or answered by a member of the site shortly after my inquiry. I knew my symptoms and timelines were normal, and knew that eventually I would feel healthy again. Thanks so much to you all for being such great sisters. I have sung your praises to everyone I know!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway