HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

PMS after hysterectomy (kept ovaries)? PMS after hysterectomy (kept ovaries)?

Unread 03-26-2007, 09:40 AM
PMS after hysterectomy (kept ovaries)?

I'm 5 weeks post-op after vaginal hyster, kept the ovaries. I was so PMS last week I thought I would die. I knew I would still be PMS, but did anyone notice it getting worse?

I also gained 5 pounds in one week! I didn't think there would be water gain any more either.

Any advice or commiseration would be appreciated.
Unread 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM

I am over 4 months post-op. Just last week I had the pms and I only have one ovary, left one. I had not noticed anything before that. I am to gaining. I was not expecting this at all. Starting w.w tomorrow and I hope that help with the gaining. I have been craving salty stuff. take care.
Teresa
Unread 03-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Hi k2musicmaker I too am around 5 weeks post-op I notice I have PMS symptoms... I should be starting mine about today and it just hit me Im not ever going to again Uggg sore breasts kinda being mean.. But No Period I think its normal when you keep ovaries....
Unread 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM

My first couple of periods after the hyster were PMS rough. After a while though things settled down. My breasts still swell, very tender to the touch, and I get the swelly belly during that time - my incision sites itch too- then it goes away. the nice thing - instead of a week or so of PMS its only a day. however, the voracious eating of anything moving less than 5 Mph has not lessened and I have to be very careful. Cheetos are NOT my friend!! Hoping things get better for you!
Unread 03-26-2007, 11:59 AM

PMS post hyst for me has not been fun! Pre hyst I was on bcp and it helped with many of the PMS issues. Now, it is just me and my hormones. Over time I have found that I have PMS some months and not others! When I have it, I REALLY have it, complete with hormonal migraine! I can have PMS several months in a row, then go several months in a row without it! Crazy!

If after a few months you find that you can not tolerate your symptoms, talk to your doctor about any options that might be available for you! But hopefully with time, your PMS will settle down a bit!

Best wishes to you! s
Unread 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM

K2Musicmaker, hang in there! I realized last week that I was "pmsing" when I was in a "blue funk" (ok, I'm old)when my dr would only recommend halfdays for 1 week instead of 2 weeks when I return to work. I actually look forward to returning to work and rehabing from Court TV. I also had the sore breasts and unwarranted anger issues. When it dawned on me, I apologized to the injured parties and became consciously aware of my attitude. The feeling went away after a couple of days, along with the meanness and soreness with no heavy blood loss, clots, cramps, or listlessness! Hooray! No more size 14 pads or overnights worn 2 at a time for 2 hour intervals!(Stay-free and Kotex stock should plummet!) I am 8 weeks post-op today and feel like celebrating! I can deal with the PMS now that I know that it can occur. It's also good to know that I am not alone. HysterSisters has been wonderful.
Unread 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM

I am about 9 weeks out from LAVH, and pms is unbearable, and seems endless!!! The breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, headaches, grrr! My gyno just started me on prozac 20mg, to try to get me back to feeling normal. My poor DH has been wonderful, stepping in to help me try to deal, and I'm sure to save others from my wrath! I told the doc, before surgery, I had pretty rough pms, but my ovaries are overly happy, maybe from the extra room!! He found that funny, and didn't make me feel like a total looney! I have only been on the prozac for 2 days, so I don't know yet, if it will work. I too will eat anything that is not nailed down! I have gained about 10 pounds since jan, but I have been really trying to watch what I eat, but I crave specific things, twizzlers, and fancy bread! I hope it takes effect soon, because I start a new job on the 9th, and I would like to be feeling at least a little better. I read up on it, and prozac is widely being used for pms, and at this point I admit defeat, and need help. Hope you can find some relief!! And I definitely know how you feel!!
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Thank you, everyone - that helped me SO much! My breasts are so sore and I am so *****y and I just feel like I was this way a few weeks ago...

But now I have hope it will get better!
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM

I am 7 weeks post op and kept both ovaries. My dr said my pms symptoms will stay the same as they were before. So far they have but I have noticed I am definitely breaking out more.
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:21 AM

it will get better, over time the PMS lessens

I do still get *****y but it really only last one day and it's done.
I look at as a reminder of how bad life used to be! it's a small trade for giving up sick days from work, eating advil like it was candy, and quality time with my heating pad LOL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.