What to wear | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
What to wear

Hello Ladies. I am confused on what clothing I will need after the surgery. (I believe mine is called a TAH - I will have a bikini incision) Do I need tight/ supportive bottoms or large and loose clothing?

I am stocked up on large loose clothing but I am reading about more supportive clothes being used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
What to wear

I had a tah and I personally found large loose clothing the best!!! I even wore pj's home from the castle so I wouldn't have to change when I got home

June
Unread 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
What to wear

Hi
I found that the looser the better since I had staples and anything touching was not fun at all. I just had a pair of jogging pants to wear home and am still wearing them because the incision doe sometime feel sore. Havent tried to wear pants with a front zipper for a long period of time yet so we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
What to wear

I wore a large sanitary napkin as a dressing over my incision because I too had staples. Over that, I wore undies with spandex to hold the dressing in place. Other than that, I was in pj's or sweat pants with a draw string.
Your incision probably won't be as bothersome since you will have a bikini cut. But you may still feel more comfortable with loose fitting clothes. Even though I had loose fitting clothes, I did use the abdominal wrap for several weeks. You will probably get one at the hospital. It gives your swollen stomach support. Again,with the bikini, yours may not be as swollen as others are. That word , bikini, hasn't been in my vocabulary for many years! Hope all goes well for you!
Unread 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
What to wear

Definitely loose at first especially because your incision will be sensitive. Early on there were times that anything touching my incision was just completely annoying. After stitches or staples come out you may want to try some kind of support brief to help your abdomen feel like your insides aren't gonna fall out....I tried that and although the support felt good on my belly, I couldn't tolerate the tight feel of the garment around the legs and elsewhere. I have pretty much lived in sweatpants for the last five weeks - yay for sweatpants!! Good luck to you!!
Unread 03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
What to wear

i had TAH/BSO.. something loose. even the bikini cut will be very tender and your stomach swollen. i wore gowns for about the first week because bending was difficult.
Unread 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM
What to wear

Sweatpants and bought larger 'granny' knickers in a size bigger.

Louise
Unread 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
What to wear

I also stuck with joggers and big knickers. For coming home, I wrapped up well. A friend gave me and DH a lift, so we didn't have to wait for a taxi, but after 4 days and nights on a hospital ward, I knew I'd feel the cold, so I made sure I had plenty of warm clothes. I also tucked my beanbag cushion under the seatbelt, so as to protect my incision from the belt.

I'd say my most useful item for wearing at home was my dressing-gown. It's warm, cuddly and it has generous pockets for tissues, my mobile, etc. Out of doors, my shoes with velcro fastenings have been brilliant. I'm no good with laces at the best of times and the thought of having to bend over with a vertical incision to tie them, made me cringe. So these were a really good buy and I was lucky enough to come across them in a sale.
Unread 03-27-2007, 04:41 PM
What to wear

I found that loose clothing worked best. Pull on PJ pants with drawstrings so I could adjust how loose/tight I wanted them. One thing that is really helpful for me is my pair of satinlike PJ bottoms. I like them because I am able to glide on the sheets in bed when I need to turn to a new position or get out of bed. Also, I don't wear anything too baggy. Too much material seems to be a pain moving around in bed and is also too hot for me to wear. I also love my big bathrobe with pockets for my cell phone etc.

Hope this helps!
Unread 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
What to wear

I usually wear string bikins, which aren't good after surgery. I bought very soft microfiber briefs to keep my bikini incision safe from rubbing and a few pairs of soft drawstring pants. Now, three weeks post-op, I am wearing support panties with a panel in front for part of the day, which are helpful if I am sitting up for long periods. The support panties are thick enough in front that I can wear a couple of my loosest work pants with zippers. I wouldn't like wearing them all day, but they are useful since I am working half-days and I can look presentable AND be comfortable in the office. Slip on shoes are fabulous for the first week or so--I LIVED in my crocs!

I am l;ooking forward to getting back in my jeans someday!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register