HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder nerve damage?!?!? Bladder nerve damage?!?!?

Unread 03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Bladder nerve damage?!?!?

Hope everyone is doing well today! I have had bladder pain since my hyster, so I have been to the urologist who has done a voiding sudy(since my bladder is NOT completely emptying since surg), has done a cysto(which everything looked fine IN the bladder), and now I will have a CT with IV/PO contrast scan next Thurs. Along with his exam, he noticed that my pelvic muscles were extremely tense, and that the pain was on the back side of my bladder. Now he thinks that I have some nerve damage to my bladder. He started me on Amitriptyline, which knocked me out last night..FAST! I was just wondering if there were any other sisters out there that has had nerve damage during their hyster, and what can be done to fix this, or is medication the only thing out there for it? I feel like I am losing my mind over this! And I can't find alot of info on it..any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!HUGGGGGGS!!!!!!!
Unread 03-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Hi CFlorence, I have had pain since my hysterectomy and the Dr has diagnosed me with nerve damage only mine is not in my bladder thankfully. I am also on Amitripytline only at a higher dose (100mg).
I started out on 25mg and it has increased with time. There are options to try with your Dr for the management of pain. He/she will be able to help you hopefully. I found really great info about it through this site and also through searches on the internet. I hope you will find the info that you are looking for! All the best to you! P.S-I'm 35 and feel like I'm much too young for this.
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:28 AM

Amen Country..I am only 30 and feel waaaay too younge for this! I am going to have to call my Dr today, I had a bad episode last night and the Amitrip might have caused it! UGGGG...I'll let you know how I turn out! Thanks soooooo much for the reply!
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:50 AM

I just read your post. I haven't been on in a long time, but I have nerve damage from my hysto in Oct of 06. I don't have pain, but I can no longer void on my own. I am 37 yrs and yes...way to young to be going through this. I have gotten better mentally over the months, but it is still very hard to deal with. It took over my entire life for the first 4 months. I saw all kinds of doctors..went to C.Cl., M.Cl., and a couple of uro/gyn in Florida and all came back with the same conclusion....sad really. I have been told to do the interstim implant, but I don't think I am going to go that route as there are complications with the surgery and I don't think I can handle any other issues right now.

I do hope that you get better and will say a prayer for you.

Julie
Unread 03-31-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your reply! I have not had a complete void since my surg (the times I have been cath'd...they get out about the same amount of cc's of urine as I had voided). I was curious, did yours start out like that, or were you unable to void any from the start? The way I could describe it the best to my Uro is "It feels like the sort of pain you get when you have held your urin for too long." I have even been able to have the strangest sensations while having a bm, I even feel it in my bladder, if that makes sense..he said that that was with the same symptoms as nerve damage. I am really scared about the outcome of all of this! Did your Dr try you on any meds? If so, did they work? I am still unsure of the amitrip, not sure if if was that or my b/p med that made me so sick last night.(My b/p shot up to stroke limit after the hyster as well, before I had not had b/p problems in over 3 years!) I will keep you in my prayers, as I too know what you are going through! HUGGGGSSS!
Unread 03-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Hey Chasity.

Prior to my hysto I had never had any problems whatsoever with my bladder. Even before my surgery (pre-op) I was not even told that I may have bladder issues..nothing. So..all of it was an extreme shock. I am trying to think back (I had everything taken out...so now I am in full blown menopause as well..and..well..memory not so good anymore). I do remember that I had a catheter in me after surgery and the next morning when I woke up they took the cath out and told me to try and go and when I stood up I had no feeling in my legs and would have hit the floor if the nurse wasn't there. I was shocked and remember looking at my husband and saying "okay...I didn't like that...what was that about". I waited a little bit and tried again and made it to the bathroom. They told me I had to go before being discharged. Well... I never went and they discharged me anyway. Got home around 10:00 am and by 12:00 I was still not able to go. I called my doctor, but he wasn't on call, so I got his partner. He told me to try running water, putting my hands in warm water and sitting in the tub. I tried all that. Called him again and he said wait a little while and see what happens. Still nothing...called again at 8:00 and then he finally said go to the e.r. I got there and was in so much pain that I could barely walk. They ended up getting 1700 ml out of my bladder. Just to tell you...I was in and out of the e.r. within 1.5 hours! That is how fast they got to me because I think they knew how much I had in there. I am not sure if something happened during my surgery (as there are no tests available for nerve damage...or so I have been told) or because my bladder was so stretched out because I waited so long (that can do damage as well). I know the normal bladder should only hold a max of 350ml....anyway....I had a foley cath in and out for the next two weeks. Finally was put on Urocholine (sphincter muscle relaxer), but that didn't work, then I was put on some blood pressure medication...cant remember the name and not sure why, but that didn't work either. Then I tried Flomax and that didn't work. I have no sensation as to when I have to go or I only know that I should cath when I see my pooch poked out. I think if you have nerve damage then you shouldn't be feeling anything, but I could be wrong.

Now for you...it may be that they knicked your bladder during surgery or something with the sphincter muscle. You say that you "feel" pain in your bladder? Of course I am no expert by any means, but your at least feeling something and that is better than nothing. Are you seeing a uro/gyn or just a gyn or just a uro? I would suggest definately to see a uro/gyn as the bladder and your pelvic area are all tied in together. Has anyone checked your pelvic muscle area? Maybe your having spasms, which can cause you not to be able to go too or be able to void only some. I can't remember, but did you say you feel "tight"....that could be pelvic floor spasms. I had that too and I did physical therapy for that and now do it at home with a stim unit..just in case....I will try anything at this point.

Sorry this is long, but I only wished that I knew anyone that was going through what I was back then. Your hysto was in January right? I know you don't want to hear this (I know I didn't that is for sure), but it does take time to heal in the pelvic area. You would be amazed by what that muscle controls...I wish I knew before all this.....

When is your next appt? Are you self cathing now? Are you keeping a voiding diary? If not, try doing that. Record the amount that you can void on your own and then record the amount you cath. That will show you everything. Also..not sure if this will help, but maybe start doing kegels (this will help the muscle too) and used to do a manuver called "crede", which is you make a fist with your hand and place it one inch below your belly button and roll over it and push down into your bladder area (abdomen) and urine should come out. These are just things to try. But ask your doctor about if it could be the muscle area and ask if the bladder could have been "knicked" or scratched or something. The bladder is sooooo sensitive anything can make it angry...

Let me know...
Julie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.