HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does general anesthesia make you feel sick when waking up? Does general anesthesia make you feel sick when waking up?

Unread 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Does general anesthesia make you feel sick when waking up?

After a hysterectomy when you wake up from general anesthesia, do you feel sick to your stomach? I've heard a lot of women say they throw up afterwards. I don't know how I'll react because I never had major surgery before, but the last thing I want to do is feel sick when waking up. Is there something they can give you to settle your stomach, like putting something in the IV?
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Well, "they" say that everyone is different. But it's true, many people have a bit of an upset stomach after anesthesia. I wasn't sick until I drank something. It didn't last very long. I was on a liquid diet for a day. I was so happy that I wasn't in pain that the upset stomach wasn't a big deal. I hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 03-31-2007, 12:03 AM

I have had surgery three times and only thrown up during the one surgery. Some people never do like my mom she just shivers alot when coming out. This last time I made sure to tell them that I had Reflux and it was worse when I wasnt able to eat. I had no problems at all just slept on and off during the rest of the day and all through the night. Try not to worry about it. Before I had the first surgery which was an ablation I spent a lot of time obsessing about it and worrying about different scenarios none of which happened. Take care.
Unread 03-31-2007, 12:10 AM

I'll try not to think about it. But the longer they postpone my surgery I'll be worrying about everything possible. LOL....
Unread 03-31-2007, 12:15 AM

While it CAN happen, I've had 3 surgeries this year and not once did I feel sick to my stomach coming out of the anesthesia. I believe they do put something in the IV to help with that. Be sure to ask the anesthesiologist beforehand, but I think that is pretty routine to give you something just in case.

I hope you won't have problems with it. Just depends on the individual. Speak up the second you feel ill and they should be able to take care of it.
Unread 03-31-2007, 04:07 AM

They gave me something to prevent that before I had the anesthesia, and I didn't even ask for it. I did get a little sick to my stomach afterwards, but they think it was because I ate the ice chips too fast (there is a reason why you can only suck on them a little at first). My mouth/throat was so dry I guess I went overboard.
Unread 03-31-2007, 04:27 AM

This is one where your family medical history may help. My husband has had nausea after anesthsia - so our son was advised to get the extra medication in with his sedation - tah da - no further problems. I haven't had nausea at all after general anesthesia - There are very good medicines they can give very quicky post-op - so if you find yourself feeling queasy - ask for help in this area right away. Pain covereage is a good thing to discuss with your MD. I also had pca (the pump I controled) for 24 hours after surgery and it helped a lot
just my .02
Reb
Unread 03-31-2007, 06:04 AM

I've been under general anesthesia several times and have found that it can vary. I am hard to anesthetize and it takes extra in order to keep me unconscious (I have woken up in the middle of surgery).

I am normally nauseas, dizzy, and usually throwing up after surgery (possibly due to the high lvls of anesthesia?) so have been advised by a girlfriend who is a nurse and my GP to go into surgery as super-hydrated as I can make myself and to warn my anesthesiologist. Evidently the extra hydration will help the nausea and the anesthesiologist can give extra meds for the nausea.

RedKat
Unread 03-31-2007, 06:45 AM

i specifically remember being told before any surgeries i had that they put something in the iv to control nausea. i've never had it. when you talk to your anesthesiologist before the surgery, be sure to ask him about it. good luck
Unread 03-31-2007, 07:19 AM

There are a few drugs that they can put in your IV before you wake up to make sure you don't get sick. The one I ask for is called Phenergan. Trust me... they don't want you to get sick either. Make sure you tell your dr that this is a concern. They should take care of you.

Charlene

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.