HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff and Mesh - Warning Detailed Vaginal Cuff and Mesh - Warning Detailed

Unread 03-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Vaginal Cuff and Mesh - Warning Detailed

I am almost 5 months out from surgery. I still have some tenderness in the vaginal area. I decided to actual examine myself up there and check on the vaginal cuff.

It has obviously NOT reprolapsed because I had to work to find it up there. When I touch the cuff there is a hard area about the size of a pencil eraser.

Could this be my mesh coming through? Can scar tissue feel "hard"? I asked my husband if he could feel anything during sex and he says no.

I am going to contact the surgeon - he is 100 miles away - and ask for a follow up appointment. I really don't want my General Practice Doctor looking.

Until then, I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience? What did it turn out to be for you? I gather that if it is mesh, that it hurts to have it cut out. Do they numb you up at all?

Also, after 5 months, should I still have a very light pink discharge occasionally? Like after sex, when my vaginal tissues have been rubbed? It's never red, but barely there pink.

Any thoughts and suggests would GREAT!!!

Thank you!
Unread 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Any idea what a granulation feels like?

Anyone?
Unread 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM

GentleSoul, as a veteran of mesh erosion I have to tell you that most of us who have had it felt it as more of a rough, sand papery feel. Some of us have described it as a "window screen" type feeling somewhere along the vagina.

Some HysterSisters who've had the mesh removed in the office describe it as painful and some describe it as being nothing too bad. Most of us have had to have it removed in outpatient or overnight in-patient surgery. Usually, if the erosion is not too bad, the first thing a doctor does is prescribe an estrogen cream such as premarin, to heal the tissues and provide extra strength in the area.

From your description, it sounds like what you have been feeling is the granulation that Monica described. However, it never hurts to have it checked out by your doctor and I'd second that motion, too.

Best of the best to you....
Unread 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Is there any danger to NOT doing anything about a granulation?

Since my doctor is so far away, I want to be as smart as I can about the issue when I talk to him.

PS: Thank you so much for the detailed explaination of what an erosion feels like. I really appreciate it.
Unread 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Gentle Soul, I think it's a good idea to contact your Dr to have this checked. You can have pink spotting with both granulation and mesh erosion, the only way to be sure is to have the Dr examine you. If it is erosion the first line of treatment is vaginal estrogen cream, this will help to plump and heal the vaginal tissue. If it's granulation the Dr may use silver nitrate on the area, this can be done in the office.
Mesh erosion excision can be done in the office if the area is extremely small. OrahDeb can attest to the fact that this procedure is not all that comfortable to be done in the office setting. Talk to your Dr about how your pain will be managed if you need to have any type of procedure done. Sometimes it's as easy as taking a mild pain reliever before your office visit.
Good luck and please let me know what happens.
Michelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway