HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

trouble emptying bladder trouble emptying bladder

Unread 04-01-2007, 09:09 AM
trouble emptying bladder

Hi,
It's been 3 weeks and 5 days since my surgery and I'm still having a difficult time emptying my bladder. Anyone else experiencing this?
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:18 AM
trouble emptying bladder

Hi T Lou
I'm wondering what kind of trouble you're having? I had some difficulties at first in that I would sit down and it would take a few seconds if not a minute for me to get the flow started. My poor little bladder was traumatized and really being timid. I also had to stop and make sure I had completely emptied it. Once the main flow stopped I often found there was still more and if I concentrated I could completely empty but the whole process just took more time. This cleared up for me after a few months.
Maybe you could give us some more details about what you're experiencing so we can offer help specific to your need.
's, Rita
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
trouble emptying bladder

Just like you described PreciousPearl...I get the urge to go, my bladder feels pretty full, but then it takes a long time to get the flow started. Then I go just a little and have to really concentrate and even rock back and forth to get more to come out. I usually have to "rock and roll" at least three or more times to somewhat empty my bladder. This happens every time I go to the bathroom. I'm pretty sure I don't have a UTI, I know what that feels like. I had a difficult time emptying my bladder in the hospital and they were going to cath me again if I couldn't empty it more. ARGH! Fortunately, with all the "rock and rolling" and water running, and putting my hands in warm water, I was able to get it to empty some more, but not completely. I'm just wondering how long this is going to last?
Thanks for your response.
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:44 PM
trouble emptying bladder

Hang in there. i am just now three months out and still have a few issues. When i have had problems relaxing so the flow would start, i would just close my eyes and take some very slow deep breaths and that would relax the sphincter enough to allow my bladder to work. My biggest problem now is not being able to hold it or think that I am finished only to stand up and realize it wasn't quite empty! The joys of having a hysterectomy i have heard this from other women and it seems to clear up eventually!! Drink lots and lots of water!!
Unread 04-02-2007, 03:42 AM
trouble emptying bladder

I sort of had/have this too (almost six weeks out now) but it is getting better slowly but I am still aware of trauma inflicted by op on my poor bowels and bladder! I did and do what they taught me at the hospital as the 'double emptying technique' - you go 'as normal', then stand up for a couple of minutes and then go again. They told me to start this as soon as the catheter was out - I pushed to get mine out sooner as it wasn't comfortable at all. Also running the taps at the same time helped!

Louise

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.