HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Adenomyosis and Pain!! Adenomyosis and Pain!!

Unread 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
ando pain and question

I have just been diagnosed with ando. I started having worse cramping not long after my 2ed pregnancy and when I had my tubes tied. Both my deliveries were by c section. I thought my extra cramping was due to my tubes being tied. The gyn I was going to just said take extra Advil before I started and continue through until I was finished, and it worked for a while, until a few month's ago, then it started getting worse. It may have been worse before, but I had an upper back, neck, jaw problem and had surgery for that and was on pain med for that so I may not have known it was getting worse. But when I came off of those a few month's ago, I noticed my cramps were worse. They were worse, but still manageable. Usually, the 1st day I would be staying in bed, then after that, I would be O.K. But all of the sudden, this month, I started cramping a bunch worse, a few days before I was supposed to start, and right through, it is almost a week into and my cramps are still a lot worse, not eased up. I was eating Advil like candy and it was like I was taking nothing. I had found another gyn this past month because all of the sudden, my stomach and uterus was tender to the touch, and it had not been that way. He actually listened to me and he checked me and was the one who told me I had ando. He offered me the option of LSH. Which, after this one, I am going to book as soon as I can. But I called his office and the called me in some tylanol with codeine, and it takes the edge off but I can still feel the pain. Is it normal for it all of the sudden to ramp up like that? I have had pain, but this has jumped up major, just like that.
At least I found a Dr. that believes me and I can get this fixed. With my first appointment, he had given me a couple of options to think about, pills, which I have migraines, and they trigger my migraines, a procedure that would help with bleeding but not all of the problem, and lsh. After this, definitely the lsh route. I have a follow up Tuesday to talk to him about my decision. I just hope he has an opening real soon. I don't know if I can do another month of this. I have too much I need to do. I have a son in band.
Thanks in advance for any help
mccreel
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:03 AM
adeno and pain

That is what happened to me. I had some cramping but all of a sudden it was severe pain for months. It started out about 6 times a week then just kept increasing until it was for about 15-20 days a month. I had a procedure about 8 months ago called an ablation which slowed down the bleeding. I wish I would have skipped most of the procedures and just had the hysterectomy because i feel so much better and now I feel like I can get on with my life. I feel better every day. I am so glad I switched DRS. I am going to send him a copy of my pathology report so that maybe he will listen to his other patients when they tell him how much pain they are in. Good luck to you
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

My dr gave me a few choices to look at, the ablation you mentioned, he said it would help my periods but not the overall problem, but MAY help some with pain, could not guarantee, that hormone or birth control injection that everyone talks about that they gain weight so much, but he advised against that because he said that would trigger my migraines as well, and he said it has shown to suck calcium out of bones in some tests, and the lsh. After research, and reading this board, looks like everything is just a temporary fix until the hysterectomy, and after this past week, I am ready NOW. It is so strange. The cramping and pain was bad, but I didn't have to take narcotics. Now, just all of the sudden, BAM, incapacitated and on drugs. Even with the tylonal with codeine, I still have some breakthrough pain. And I have cramped so bad, I am sore, like I have been exercising. weird. It kind of scared me that it got this bad this fast. And my period this month was not heavy. It was actually light. But my pain is excruciating. Even with the pain med, I can only sleep a couple of hours at a time, because it keeps waking me up. I just hope it lets up after my week is up for the month. If not, I hope he can get me in immediately to get this out now.
Again, any information and input from anyone else with this I appreciate in advance. I just found out about this 2 weeks ago, and my pain just exploded, so this is all new to me. My head is kind of spinning right now. I am still trying to figure out if this is "normal" for what this is.
Thanks for listening to me blabber.
mccreel
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

good luck mccreel. you will be fine and so glad when it is over with.
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

wow I'm so glad I found this site. I found out about 2 month's ago that I have adenomyosis and for a few years I have had the pain Dr.s just kinda pushed it aside then I got a nurse practitioner that had me get a ultrasound and bam I'm scheduled next week for my Hyst. I'm scared to death but I'm excited to have the pain gone its a constant all month pain.
Unread 04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Best way to go

I just got home today from my hysterectomy. I had LAVH/BSO. I am very uncomfortable and sore but I know this will heal and go away and then the pain will be gone. I wish I had done this years ago. I have went through so much unnecessary pain. Thank all of you for your support.

My pain gradually got worse so I don't know about the sudden pain but I'm sure it can happen. This stuff can be ugly. A Hyster may not be for everyone but anyone who has lived with the pain of adeno/endo should seriously consider that option instead of living with the pain or on pain meds.
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

I am 9 days post op and had tons of endo and adeno. I feel great and so happy I NEVER have to have that pain again. I'm sorry for those of you that have to wait so long for your surgery, in my case, it was the cure all. I also had bladder repair and after a sneeze that caught me off gaurd today, I did not leak when I sneezed! So that is another benefit from the surgery. I'm sure a hyst is not the cure all for everyone, but for me, it seems to have been so far. My mood seems more stable now too, and DH thinks that is a plus too!

Hang in there, the waiting time did go by fast and hopefully you'll be able to manage your pain a few more months. No, it's not in your head. And after surgery, it's gone, yippee!

Sandra
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

HI, I am in the same situation as you mccreel. My pain has always been bad with my periods, since a teenager. It got better in my 20s, but has gotten worse again in my 30s. I was diagnosed wtih possible adeno in early Dec. by Feb. I was in pain all the time, now I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy next Wednesday. I too am wondering about how quickly the pain seemed to have set in and gotten bad so quick. I'm sure those around me are wondering the same thing too. The tylenol with codeine helps take away the nausea that I get because of th pain. I made the decision to have the surgery so that the pain will go away. My doctor wants to try a laparoscopic total hysterectomy with me. Best wishes to you. Nanc
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

I have adeno and it's been the past year that it's gotten worse. I have pain in between periods now. Out of nowhere, I get these horrible, sharp pains, that will double me over. All day they come and go. Right before my period (about a week) the pain intensifies and the back ache is so bad I can't stand. I use the heating pad for my back and hot shower for my stomach and pelvic area. I chose not to go with pain meds. They scare me too much. Advil, tylenol and motrin don't even touch the pain. My body is like, "Ha. what's this? Candy?" Usually a few days before my flow starts I get the labor-like pains and the painful bowel movements. The pain is sharp, like someone is inside me with a knife. Every month it seemed my symptoms would get worse. My surgery is this friday, but because I'm menstrating right now and in pain, friday will take forever to get here.
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Adenomyosis and Pain!!

Hi EasterLilly, Good luck Friday. Hopefully you are as happy as I am that I had my TAH. The few days of pain post op was worth how great Im feeling now. Im from Philly too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.