HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bladder pain or bladder infection? Bladder pain or bladder infection?

Unread 04-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Bladder pain or bladder infection?

Hi Ladies, I am 3 weeks post-op today. Been off my pain meds for a week. A few days ago I start feeling some pain when I pee, no burning, no fever, just an uncomfortable pain like my bladder is full. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if this is normal or if it is a bladder infection.
Unread 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM

JPZ

I'm sorry you're feeling uncomfortable at the moment. This surgery can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful problems for the bladder but the fact that it's suddenly happened, a few weeks down the line, suggests that something may be amiss.

The only way to know, for sure, is to contact your doctor and get some tests done. I hope you're feeling more comfortable very soon.

Take care!

Unread 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM

I would definitly call the doctor to rule out infection. If left untreated it can travel.

That said, I am 8 weeks out and have the same thing. I have been checked and no infection. It is worse in the morning, actual pain. During the day it is more of an ache. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Hi, I am about 4 weeks post-op. At the 3 week mark I developed a urinary tract infection. I have never had a bladder or urinary infection so I wasn't sure what was going on. I really didn't have any pain to speak of but my urine was cloudy and I would see a little pink on tissue after going to the bathroom which was confusing because I didn't know if the blood was from the surgery or what. My urine also had a really strong smell to it so I went to the doctor and they did a urine test and I did have an infection. A week of antibiotics later and I was fine. You should call your doctor.
Take care.
Unread 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM

I am 7 weeks post-op and have been having bladder problems for about 5 weeks.. I feel pressure that I have to go even right after voiding. Occasionally I have leakage although that was never a probIem before surgery. I actually have to press on my bladder to determine if it is actually full. I've been checked twice for UTI and it is negative. Monday I saw a URO who said that it sounds like a twitchy bladder from surgery. He said I could try Vesacare (for overactive bladder) but I'm afraid of the side effects (blurred vision, constipation, dry eyes and mouth, etc.). I'm hoping that this is something that will gradually resolve itself because it's making life pretty uncomfortable (worse than the surgery).
Unread 04-11-2007, 02:17 PM

I just spoke to my dr. about this issue yesterday. I am 9 weeks post op and at 5 wks I started having new pains, in my bladder. I always felt pressure there, had to go to the bathroom constantly and in the morning had real pain until I went. My dr. said the bladder has to get used to its new position and also there could be some spasms. He said exercise and do what I normally do and it will get back in shape.
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ
Hi Ladies, I am 3 weeks post-op today. Been off my pain meds for a week. A few days ago I start feeling some pain when I pee, no burning, no fever, just an uncomfortable pain like my bladder is full. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if this is normal or if it is a bladder infection.
I am six weeks post- op and I still have a wierd feeling when i urinate, almost feels like peeing through a straw.
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM

I am 2 weeks post op and it still hurts when I pee. My Dr. said if it burns to let him know, but it is more a sting and a pressure and that is normal because the bladder doesn't have the uterus to hang out with anymore.

It also hurts me to laugh and my advice to you all is to not laugh and pee at the same time...It is double the pain!!! I am thankful my sister was here helping me but she did make me laugh a lot...ouch.
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:55 PM

Being the 'queen of bladder infections' how i describe it as like peeing out a porcupine. Ouch!

They have quick tests at the doctors office if you have a UTI. I would definitely call your doc with concerns.

As I say in all my UTI posts, if it is an infection over the counter AZO helps TREMENDOUSLY until you can get an antibiotic.

Unread 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM

I am 9 weeks post op. and my bladder has been painful when I empty it ever since the surgery. The pain is getting less with time. It used to hurt and sort of spasm when emptying but now it just hurts a bit, and sometimes does not hurt, and sometimes it feels like I need to go too many times in one day, other days it feels normal, so I think it is just healing and hopefully the pain will subside altogether.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway