HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can fibroids cause back pain? Can fibroids cause back pain?

Unread 04-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Can fibroids cause back pain?

I've been having severe back pains lately. I have a large fibroid in the middle of my uterus. Can someone please tell me if fibroids can cause back pain? The pain is midway down my back to my tailbone , with most of the pain on my right side doing down my body. I'm wondering if this is something else or the fibroid. I know it's pretty big. The drs. report always said that it was starting to get necrotic. My surgery is the 23rd. I don't know whether I should get in touch with my dr. now about the pain or wait for the surgery in another week. Any info. would really help me. I have also been feeling sick to my stomach. And having dry heaves once or twice. Can fibroids cause all this?
Unread 04-13-2007, 03:14 AM

I think you need to call the dr. I had my sah over 9 weeks ago and I think that fibroids can cause some back pain but not like what you are describing so even though your surgery is next week please call the dr.
Take care.
Unread 04-13-2007, 04:13 AM

I remember having some pretty good back pain with my fibroid, but I agree with pocono that a call to the Dr would be wise. Take care!
Unread 04-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Call the Dr. please
Unread 04-13-2007, 10:53 AM

I couldn't get an appointment with my dr. so I went to the ER instead. After they did some tests the dr. said he was quite sure it was related to my fibroids, and gave me a prescription for pain medication. Of course he said to come back if things don't get better, but after getting some medication in the hospital I feel better right now. He did tell me something I didn't know. He said when you have fibroids and bleed a lot, some of that blood goes into other orgrans and doesn't come out like it should with a regular period, and that can cause severe pain. Plus, I found out that some of my fibroids are necrotic. They are dying and that brings on pain too. I was told it could be kidney stones, and they would check if they had to, but that kidney stones would continually hurt. He also couldn't do a urine test because I'm still having my period and I don't have a fever or any other symptoms of that. So, if I can just make it to the 23rd, and get everything taken out, I'll be a happy camper. The pains after the surgery can't possibly be as bad as the ones I'm having now. Well, at least I hope not. Let's put it this way. I'm willingly going into that hospital on the 23rd to have that surgery. Yes, I'll be nervous, but I'm thinking of the end result. While I was in the hospital, they brought in a man that was on the verge of a heart attack. He wasn't that old. Maybe mid to late forties, early fifties. I heard him tell the dr. that he hadn't been to a hospital or to a dr. in years, and that he was a pack a day smoker. What is it about guys that they hate hospitals worse than us women do? I heard him also say that he almost didn't come to the hospital until he started having pains in his left arm. They are keeping him overnight. Wouldn't hurt him to quit smoking either. I really hussled it up to the hospital this morning. I think I must have slept an hour, if that, last night. I want to be over on the other side so bad. I want to be a princess, not a lady in waiting.
Unread 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM

I'm a little perplexed by the report saying the fibroid was "starting" to get necrotic. I would think that either it was dead or it wasn't.... you might want to get a clarification on that. I wouldn't think it would take very long for a fibroid to die -- and when it does, the pain is usually severe but tends to go away in a few days. Of course, with a larger fibroid, things could be different. And if it gets infected, you need to have it dealt with soonest.

I agree a call to the doc is in order. Let us know what happens, OK?
Unread 04-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Sometimes it can take a long time for a fibroid to die. Well, this is what I learned from doing some research. The one I have is very large and in the middle of my uterus. I also have others in different places. The large one is pushing on all my other organs. When I had the ultrasound weeks ago, the dr. that did the procedure told me it was so big that my body was trying to get rid of it on it's own, and I've noticed that after I go to the bathroom I notice tissue. It's coming from the fibroid. It all depends on where the fibroid is situated. The big one I have is in the middle of my uterus but parts of it are between the walls of the uterus too. So far they don't think it's infected yet. I just need to hang on one more week. The dr. in the ER told me that when the surgery is done they will look around and see if everything is ok, but I can come back to the ER anytime. I've had these fibroids for a very long time but because my periods were always regular, I didn't have any symptoms until around Christmas time. It all depends on how large the fibroids are to determine how long it takes for them to die. They could be starting to die because I'm right on the cusp of menopause, but my periods haven't stopped yet. They are still as regular as ever, only now I get large blood clots, anemia, severe bleeding for up to two weeks. And that awful pain.
Unread 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

It sounds like you really already have your answer. I think you should see the doctor. Maybe your surgery should be moved up if it's causing this much pain.

Definitely watch yourself carefully for signs of infection.

to you.
Unread 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM

Ditto on what the other sisters said about calling your doctor, but my enlarged uterus and large fibroids were causing the same type of back pains and sciatica. All is well since my surgery, so I hope it will be that way for you too.
Unread 04-13-2007, 12:31 PM

I agree with Music Teacher, I had really bad back pains and it never stopped until the surgery. I too was happy to have the surgery because I couldn't go on the way it was, 8 weeks out today and feel better everyday!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway