Port Insertion Question..... | Cancer Concerns - GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Port Insertion Question..... Port Insertion Question.....

Unread 04-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Port Insertion Question.....

For those who have had ports inserted for your chemo, how long after the insertion did you NOT hurt??? It's less than 24 hours since I got mine in and I'm still quite sore. The one that bugs me the most is the one on my ribcage for the IP chemo. I know, it's still really too soon to tell for me, but I've been through so much already, I'm not sure how much more I can take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2007, 06:36 AM

It's not quite the same. but I had PICC line inserted yesterday on my inside upper arm. They did my chemo through it, and I'll be getting IV fluid this weekend. It's still sore if I move my arm the wrong way. Not bad, but I'm definitely aware of it.
Unread 04-13-2007, 06:51 AM

My port took quite awhile to feel comfortable -- certainly I was still in some pain 24 hours after the procedure, and I only had ONE port put in. Cut yourself a break and realize that you've had a minor surgery and need a few days to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2007, 07:10 AM

It was only a few days before my port quit being sore. It was my best friend throughout chemo and all other blood draws. I had it put in in 2003 with breast cancer. I kept it for a few months after chemo. I wish I had it now that I have been diagnosed with UC. I have terrible veins. On Monday I was stuck in three places on my hand before they got blood. Before accessing the port, the nurses would spray it with a cold spray to numb it. There is also a cream that your DR can prescribe that will numb it before access. I have some of the cream now for blood draws, if I can figure out where they will finally stick. LOL
Hugs
Annie
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Hi Smeeps,

I only had an IP port and it was painful off and on for about a week. If I turned to sleep on my left side, I cushioned it with a soft pillow. After awhile I just had some awareness. I usually wear an underwire bra, but for the first 2 weeks I only wore a sports-type bra and set it a litlle looser. It will get better, but you won't be sorry to have it removed
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Mine took a couple of weeks to feel more comfortable. It took a month for me to forget I had it in (and I quickly remembered when I accidently punched myself in the chest). You do need to give yourself some time to recover from the surgery.
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM

We all react differently and yes, this IS surgery. It may be just where it's located that causes problems.

That they are doing IP is good-studies have shown a much better
survival rate.
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Okay, so maybe I was still "under the influence" last night. For those with the IP port, could you clearly see/feel the tubing under your skin at the very top of the port??? I can mine, and it's driving me nuts.
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM

My port hurt for months. I'm going to attribute that to my large chest pulling on it. It was a while before I could go braless without it really hurting. Not for one second do I forget it's there and I can't wait until I get it out in September. Every part of it bothers me, even the tube.
Unread 04-13-2007, 02:14 PM

My port hurt for about a week. It looked like and felt like a bottle cap under my skin. In a terrible spot too, right in the middle of my chest to my neckline...now that it's out I have a visible scar. But I was SO glad to have the port...I had one chemo without it and my vein/arm was SO SORE and it took like 6 weeks for that to go away. The port pain was a lot easier to deal with.
Sorry to hear about your new diagnosis. I was 31 when dx in Sept 2005 with ovarian cancer, stage IIIC, grade 3.
I didn't have the IP chemo, just 8 rounds of taxol/carbo and a 2nd look surgery. Good luck with everything. Let me know if you have questions or would like extra support.
Pokadot

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register