HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Is colace/stool softner safe and for how long? Is colace/stool softner safe and for how long?

Unread 04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Is colace/stool softner safe and for how long?

Hi everyone,

I can see that many sisters have been on stool softner. I have been taking it off and on since my hyst so I don't strain as much. My questions is how long can you take them..ie: for months, years, or ??? I read on a web site where if you take them for too long your spincter muscles might stop working and depend on the softer/laxative to do the work.....is that true? Does anyone have any experience with long term softners and what has been your experience/advice. Does anyone know anything about the spincter muscle not working later on ?????
Thanks.
Unread 04-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Colace is safe to take indefinitely. Many geriatric patients take this on a regular basis. Their decreased mobility and fluid intake slows the transit in the intestines and causes the stool to become hard so the colace helps to soften the stool. I have been taking colace regularly since the hysterectomy 2 years ago because of recurrent prolapse.
Michelle
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Hey Michelle,
If your taking the colace brand then I must have picked a good brand because you are so knowledgeable!!!! Thanks for the reply.
Unread 04-16-2007, 07:05 AM

I buy a generic form of colace (same ingredients) and my GP also said that it is not habit forming as long as you don't take the one with the laxative included.
Unread 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

My surgeon said I would probably have to take a stool softener for the rest of my life. Fiber supplements help some, but don't solve the constipation problem. Bowlinggrl is correct -- make sure it's not the one with the laxative! I use generic docusate sodium.
Unread 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM

after hysterectomy, a speclist in that area told me to try eating Fiber One cereal, seemed prune juice wasn't doing the trick and I didn't want to be taking stool softner forever, the Cereal Worked!! I have a little at night I go naturally the next morning.
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Just to reiterate what other sisters have said, my GI said that stool softeners every day for the rest of your life is a-ok. Laxatives are not! Laxatives are what you want to shy away from or at least not take on a regular basis...stool softeners are perfectly fine.
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM

As always I thank each and every one for your input. I will get the stool softer for now on.......and try the cereal that vgtigger suggested.
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:13 AM

One of my friends got me started on the fiber One Honey Clusters, it has 51% of your daily fiber and it is good (I let it soak in the milk for a bit before eating). I also like Shredded Wheat n Bran, but it only has 32% of your daily fiber. Good Luck, I take 3 colace (generic) at bedtime and eat the fiber cereal and an apple every day for some reason I just have constipation problems, probably always will. Good Luck to you. Hugs.
Unread 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM

I like the clusters, good flavor. I have always had major constipation problems but guess I've never addressed them, but now it really seems to bother me more...I will try the colace! But the other cereal the Doc told me which works great is: Kellogg Bran buds, Kellogg all bran extra fiber I think it is like 71%, I mix the 3 cereals together and have just a little over 1 cup portion helps get things moving.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway