HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

rectocele & cystocele repair--recovery? rectocele & cystocele repair--recovery?

Unread 04-18-2007, 04:14 AM
rectocele & cystocele repair--recovery?

Hi,'

It is no wonder we are confused when there are so many different doc's advice and experiences. I had what you're having, on Friday the 13th (no less) ((6 days ago) along with a LATV. Anyways, so far so good. I was told 6 weeks off should suffice and not to lift or pull etc.....I can drive in one week if I am no longer on pain meds. I can climb stairs if i don't overdo it. I go slowly and only a couple times a day. I expeced everything to be worse. The surgery, the recovery, but I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been so far. I take some pain meds a couple of times a day usually in the evening. I am able to walk around the house some and do some VERY light picking up, and making things to eat. It would be easy to over do it but my DH yells at me to sit and relax. I was terrified about this procedure as I have heard so many horror stories, esp on this site. I am not sure what the reason for this is other than different doc's and health perhaps? I had an ob/gyn do mine. I know him and know he is a good surgeon so that helped. I do think it is VERY important not to lift anything or do too much too soon. Get another opinion or listen to the hyster sisters here. But all in all, it has been a pretty positive experience for me so far. Good luck to you. Karen
Unread 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM

I agree with Kathiem, do you know that my uro/gyn didn't even want me doing anything but walk around inside my house for 6 weeks, that included no driving. I can't imagine going back to work so soon. My heart goes out to you, try to take it as easy as possible. Hugs.
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:07 AM
rectocele/cystocele ap vag repair

I had my surgery April 3rd and still having bleeding. Dr doesn't seem concerned. I am very uncomfortable. Comments Please
Unread 04-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Tamwon, I did not have bleeding but I had a horrible first 4 weeks. I had alot of pain and could not sit at all for about 5 weeks. Some of us just have a harder time than others. I would nag about the bleeding tho!!!!
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:30 PM

I had my surgery April 9th. Went in for my 4th treatment w/silver nitrate today. My DH came with me so I could have the PA explain everything to him. I have seeping at my incision, and a hole where the mesh is "erroding." I asked today why we just dont go in and take it out (mesh) and the Surgeon said she wanted me to have more "healing time." Waiting for bloodwork. Other than that I feel great. Nothing like my hysterectomy. Heal well, Windy.
Unread 04-20-2007, 04:51 AM

I also was told I would have a permanent lifting restriction of 20 lbs.

First two weeks I was instructed to not do "ANYTHING" around the house...if I could help it. No driving, or even walking much distance for 6 weeks. Sex had to wait till 8 weeks.

My hysterectomy was because of a Stage 4 uterine prolapse, and I had cystocele (w/sling) and rectocele repair...doc said I had had "lots" of surgery (it was a 5 hour surgery.) I have a laxity in the muscles/ligaments in that area and I have MS, so the surgeon thinks there is a connection...and that might be why I have the permanent lifting restriction and the stricter post op instructions.

My actual recovery from the surgery was unremarkable. Hardly any pain or spotting, but I did have some other complications (pneumonia, and a second surgery for fast growing scar tissue near sling insertion point...but that could have also been overactive immune response related to MS.)

Everybody's different...I will say at 8 weeks I was beginning to feel normal. There were times when I thought I would never feel better, but I've decided that patience is a virtue when it comes to recovering from surgery.
Unread 04-20-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm sorry it's taken me this long to reply but I was busy at school w/midterm preparation...can't wait until it's over...although the surgery will take place after that (last week of June). Anyway, you guys are just the greatest! thank you so much for the great advise. My Dr. did tell me that I will need to take about 4-6 weeks off from work and showed me how I could lift my toddler without hurting my self but experience knows best so I will definitely stick to my hystersisters advise.
Here's the list of what will be done in my surgery:
1) Rectocele repair (no mesh material, he's going to let my scar tissue take care of this so it's all stitching I guess)
2) Cystocele repair (don't know what it is called but he'll be lifting it by making a couple of incisions right above my pelvic area).
3) anus area repair, stitches around it internally I guess (the episiotomy cut damaged part of the muscle so the Dr. does not guarantee a large % chance that my fecal incontinence problem will go away ~ this was very sad news to me).
4) tubes tied (this was a very hard decision for me because I wanted to have another child but given my age and low quality of life that I'm experiencing, I decided to pursue w/the surgery).
5) I think he's also going to sew the vaginal area to tighten it up a bit.
I'll be having my pre-op visit w/the Dr. mid June, will give more details then.
The Dr. originally wanted to remove my uterus but I declined it. Why remove an organ that does not need to be removed? I had a fybroid tumor last year and it could/could not come back. I told him that if it comes back we can decide then. Do you think that having a hysterectomy after an A&P repair would damage/undo what was done?
Thank you once again for your atention to my questions and for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Windfairy, I hope you get better soon.
Ary, I hope that you find the right Dr...best of luck.
JeanetPlanet, Diane, Kath,Bowlinggr, Shantra ~ thanks for the advise.
Tamwon, your experience give me comfort, i'll try not to stress so much.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Unread 04-22-2007, 07:05 AM

Anetita,
Wow, that is a long list being done! I have met several women on this forum that are having the prolapses fixed with no hysterectomy, I don't know your answer on the down the road hyst. question though.
I do want to caution you again about the scar tissue forming, it does take around 3 months to start forming, so please plan on taking it easy for over 3 months to get good results. My doctor was from the start fine with me lifting a gallon of milk, but not off the floor, so I can see where you could lift your toddler if you have him/her climb up to a chair first. But if you feel any pressure at all, please stop what you are doing and take it easy some more. Please keep us posted as to how you do with your surgery. Hugs.
Unread 04-22-2007, 08:40 AM

That really is a long shopping list of procedures. It will be good to get it all over with at once. The repeat surgeries and recoveries are sure hard on you.

I am now at 10 weeks and am still being very careful. My granddaughters (21 and 23 pounds) were over yesterday. I tried a couple of test pickups and I can still feel a pull. I am holding off for atleast the 12 week mark. There just is no point in pushing my luck!

I had to have alot of perineal repair as I had a huge episotomy with my son 21 years ago. Dr had to rebuild the whole area. That was the hardest part of anything I had done. I don't know about the hyst down the road either. It does seem that leaving the uterus in place keeps the plevic floor support a little stronger. A future pregnancy would undo the repairs tho so the tubal sounds like a good idea.

Good luck on all of it!
Unread 04-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Anetita, I am really glad we have been able to help you so much.

I am also having pretty extensive surgery. Cystocele and Rectocele repair, he told me for those he will be making an incision the full length of my vagina front and back, an enterocele repair he says he has not quite made his mind up how he is going to close this one up.. he and the urogyn will decide while they are doing surgery.. a transobdurator sling which is mesh through the bladder involving a hole each side of my groin, a total vaginal hysterectomy, he said that the same as you my ligaments are totally shot and as I am 49 and have the added complication of uterine infection that is coming out.. then finally the sacrospinous ligament fixture which is stitches from the top of my vagina run to fix in to the ischial bones on each side of my pelvis so I will also have 2 holes either side of my lower tummy so they can do laparoscopy assisted.

If me being as scared as I am is any indication of how scared you must be.. HUGS.. this is SCARY! LOL! I wish you all the luck in the world.. at least I don't have a child to deal with.. just 3 grown hairy messy men and 2 equally big hairy messy dogs!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.