HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

abnormal cells after hyst abnormal cells after hyst

Unread 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
abnormal cells after hyst

Hello
I had a total hysterectomy in Sept 2003. I had my last (or what i thought was my last) "PAP" last month. The doctor called me and wants to see me again in six months due to abnormal cells in my vaginal vault. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it the cancer in its infancy returning? If this is related to HPV will it just keep returning??
Any help is great
Thanks
Unread 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi,

Sometimes Pap smears come back abnormal for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't mean that you have cancer. Such changes could be caused by HPV, or it could be caused by bacterial infections, having sex too close to the time of the Pap test, etc. There are a number of reasons for a bad Pap.

If you've had cancer before though, I wouldn't 't stop having Pap tests. (And even if you've never had cancer, I'd still recommend having Pap tests.)

I did have something similar happen to me. My gyn when I had my hysterectomy told me that I'd never need another Pap again because I'd never had a problem, so I went three years without one. In 2005, my PCP talked me into having a Pap test, which returned ACS-US. A colposcopy October 2005 showed moderate and severe dysplasia at the top of my vaginal cuff. No treatment was done at that time, and my doctor decided to just keep an eye on things. He told me that often, dysplasia will clear by itself.

Another Pap and colposcopy in June 2006 was normal. I thought sure this was all over.

Then in December 2006, my Pap came back a stage worse than before. A colposcopy last month showed carcinoma in situ. So now I'm waiting for laser surgery on May 9.

Just hang in there. Hopefully, there's nothing going on there and everything will be okay. But do continue with your Paps every year. It's worth the time if it can save your life.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-18-2007, 02:05 PM

wait a minute! the reason for my "total hysterectomy" was so I would not worry about "abnormal" paps or possible cancer of my uterus... i could only get a cycst out on my left ovary and the ovary out.. but my doctor said i'm 57 and should just get everything out now...

i'm concerned about sex with out a cervix as it is... is sex different with just a vagina? and is there still a chance of problems with just a vagina? my operation is next tuesday
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM

ammereit - yes, there are some of us here who have had dysplasia after a hysterectomy. did the doctor tell you what the pap showed? if it was ascus, that could have many very benign reasons. if it showed HSIL or LSIL, then that could be of more concern. why did you have your hysterectomy?

i had a tah/bso because of recurring dysplasia in february 2005, and was ready to start having annual paps in september 2006, which was 18 months after the hyster. my dysplasia is back; i've got vain1.

i'm hoping along with you that all is ok. best wishes.
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:26 AM

I underwent a TAH in March of last year for Carcinoma in Situ of the cervix w/ extensive glandular involovement. My last pap came back ASCUS and I am going this afternoon for a coloscopy. I also just found out that I do have one of the "bad" cancer causing strains of HPV. When does it ever end???? It can and does happen, so please be vigilent about having paps regularly.

I am hoping for a dx of some sort of infection...sad thing to hope for huh? lol.

Subway, Good Luck on your upcoming surgery! And for me, sex is 500% better now....AWESOME!
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:56 AM

I had cervical cancer, it was not very big 3.9mm but big enough that they removed everything, including lymph nodes, but left my ovaries.
Reading the posts I also thought that tah meant healthy living for the rest of my life with NO thought of cancer returning. Well, was I wrongly informed.
For everyone that replied I wish you luck with your upcoming surgeries. thank you for sharing you information with me.
T
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:14 AM

ammereit - depending upon what the pap said, 6 months seems a long time to wait to go back to doctor. if the pap is abnormal, other than ascus, i would expect the doctor would want to do a colposcopy to check things out further. i would suggest/recommend a phone call to the doctor on why he/she is waiting.
kelpn, good luck with the colposcopy today. let's hope it's 'nothing'. let us know!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway