HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

suprapubic catheter suprapubic catheter

Unread 06-18-2001, 10:14 PM
suprapubic catheter

I'll be having a TAH, possible BSO, bladder suspension and rectocele repair in July. Dr. said he'll be using a suprapubic catheter. Can some of you lovely ladies tell me about your experience with this?
Unread 06-18-2001, 10:25 PM
suprapubic catheter

Hi Betty,

I didn't have a suprapubic catheter, but I'm hoping that someone who did will respond.

In the meantime, you can do a search of posts by our hystersisters on that subject. Just go to the top of the page and click where it says "Search". Then type in "suprapubic catheter" where it says "keyword", then click on "perform search". A bunch of posts from sisters who have had one will pop up. I've seen quite a few in the last 11 months I've been here.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 06-19-2001, 07:30 PM
suprapubic catheter

I did (still do in fact) have a supra-pubic cath. They put it in after you are asleep. My surgery was Friday 6/15, left the hospital on Sunday 6/17 (dinner time). Bladder training is not easy. I refuse to sugar coat it. Today was my first full day since I had (and still do have) bladdder spasms. They can give you Ditripan for it or a B&O supp (belladonna & Opium!). Helps a great deal!. So today - I empty my bag and clamp off the line like they showed me in the hospital. I drink water - lots of it and wait until I feel the urge. Then I go into the bathroom and sit on the toilet with a device to catch the urine in it (to measure the output). And I wait. It takes a while and you are sccared and it sort of is uncomfortable. Whe you void as much as you can (and it won't be much the first day) then you unplug the cath and empty the rest and measure it. it is a lot of work just to pee. I have yet to have a BM and am taking my stool softeners. Not that hungry. We'll see what they say tomorrow at my appt.

It does get better!

Post to me here and let me know how things work out. I am always looking for supporton this pee issue!
Unread 06-19-2001, 08:02 PM
suprapubic catheter

I had a suprapubic cath -- the first week when you wear the bag it is a little bit of a nuisance but not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. Then they took the bag off and plugged the tube. You go to the bathroom naturally. I did not have to measure what I voided on my own--only what was left when the tube was emptied out into a container. I had nightmares about this before but must admit they show you how to work it and it soom becomes a part of routine. Please don't be unduly scared--I promise it does not last long and soon you are urinating on your own--free of all devices. Good luck.
Unread 06-20-2001, 04:04 AM
suprapubic catheter

I had a s-p cath post-op, and like you, knew it ahead of time. I was more worried about having the cath than the surgery itself, and I had been diagnosed with cervical cancer!

That said, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. I woke up from my sugery with it in place. It was held in place with 2 stitches in the pubic area below my bikini incision.

My Dr. feels that post-op bladder problems and complications can be avoided by allowing the bladder to rest after surgery. I wasn't allowed to bladder train for 2 weeks post-op, just let the cath do it's job.

When I was allowed to bladder train, I clamped off the tubing to the cath, voided in a "hat" to measure my output, unclamped the catheter and measured the residual. At that point, my bladder was ready and I didn't experience any spasms. The catheter was removed right in my Drs. office 2 days later (it could have been the next day, but he didn't have office hours).

Once the cath was out, that was it! The tiny hole closes up on it's own. The only thing I had to do was apply triple antibiotic ointment to the site for a couple of days after.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. I remember how scared I was about having the s-p cath and will be happy to try and answer and to put your mind at ease.
Unread 06-23-2001, 04:47 PM
suprapubic catheter

Little by little my bladder is starting to function. When I left the hospital I was given high expectations - and type A personality that I am - was devastated when things werren't going to schedule. Doc had to remind me that hey did more than was expected ( took an ovary and had very little fascia to work with to hold bladder in place). He unfortunately was not the doc on call at the hospital when I was released (Kaiser sort of thing).

So rest I did and take my meds and am starting to bounce back. It may come out on Monday if things continue to progress like they are, but if not - oh well. You get one chance to heal right!

I tell you though - the stool softener is doing a number on me. I eat - I poop, just like an infant. 21/2 bathrooms in my house and one is mine alone!!!!

SMILE - it increases your face value!
Unread 06-24-2001, 09:08 PM
suprapubic catheter

I too was very afaid of the suprapubic cath. but to my pleasant surprise it was nothing for me! I had a bag the night of surgery, next day nurse came to cap and clamp the tube. She assured me that it would take awhile to viod on my own, "maybe a drop now or it may take 10 day s to have a drop, everyone is different" I'll say! I drank and drank and drank water and called for a nurse to show me how to viod/unclamp/measure, I sat down and almost instantly I vioded. I was like a kid potty training, I was so excited, now the real test to unclamp and see how much I coudn't viod.....zero residual, the nurses were dumb founded, they said don't get your hopes up it may not work that way everytime. Long story, short the cath. was removed that afternoon (2 days post-op) and I never looked back!

Now don't get me wrong there was discomfort with urinating for a while (felt like someone was ringing my bladder out) maybe 3 weeks or so but other than that I had no problems.

LAVH/BSO cysocele/rectocele
endo/prolapse
age 31

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.