HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

mesh removal surgery mesh removal surgery

Unread 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
mesh removal surgery

Hy sisters, been a while since i've logged on, i go in for total mesh removal ,(or as much as he can get) in Dallas monday the 30th of april, i cant wait, seems my leg/back pain is alot worse ,sitting or standing alot without the aide of lortab is unbearable, so i lay on the couch whenever i can,, after my first appt w/this uro/gyn i got a call from the office ,they said i had a UTI, so i got some antibiotics(thats been a few weeks ago, my theory is the UTI is not what it seems, i think its blood in the urine due to the mesh cutting into the bladder,
on the initial visit to my uro/gyn he could tell what kind of mesh was used ,without any instruments he could see the blue in the mesh that was used in the former surgery, he said it was sticking out all over, but he didnt think that is what is causing my back/leg pains,
I think most of that pain will go away when the mesh is gone, we'll see,
I'll let you all know how it goes, i may have to stay in for a day cause its a 3 hour drive home, best to you all and thoughts and prayers to us all, Sue # 1 ,(plumhollow)
Unread 04-22-2007, 01:33 PM
mesh removal surgery

The very best of luck, Sue. That mesh can be such a mess! Does your Dr have experience removing it? We will be thinking of you!
Unread 04-22-2007, 01:57 PM
mesh removal surgery

He said that the majority of his surgeries nowadays is mesh removal, i was impressed that he took about 15 or 20 min after the exam in his office to speak to my husband and I, he had my medical papers from the previous surgeries ,and he wasnt real clear on what the procedures were from the reports, so while we were in there he called the doc that did the mesh surgeries (and the two attemts to remove the mesh)
but the other doc was out of the office at the time , bottom line , yes he's done alot of mesh removal, he also stated he doesnt use mesh and had talked with the sales rep earlier on about the mesh and problems women were having with it, of course i dont know all the details of the conversation , i just know he doesnt like it, and wont use it,
Unread 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
mesh removal surgery

Sue--I sure hope this surgery will be the end of your mesh troubles and that pain. It's terrible to think that the mesh might be cutting into your bladder, too.

I think it's great that you found a doctor experienced in mesh removal. Before my 3rd surgery to remove the mesh, that's just what I did. I interviewed the local regional expert and another much more experienced doctor before deciding who would do the removal. No more just asking 'whoever' to get rid of it piecemeal. I wanted the rest of it OUT.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers on the 30th. I hope things go okay for you until then.
Many, many S to you, my fellow member of M.E.S.S. (Mesh Erosion SisterS)
Unread 04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
mesh removal surgery

Good luck Sue!! Mesh problems are so difficult to deal with because it is a relatively new field of repair and there are no clear cut protocols for the Drs to follow. Their treatment modality seems to start with the least invasive procedures first. Most often the first course of treatment is estrogen cream, then small pieces of exposed mesh are excised (as OrahDeb can truly attest) and if that's not successful then total (or nearly total) mesh removal. It does feel like your vagina is being cut up bit by bit doesn't it?
Hopefully after the mesh removal all your pain and discomfort will resolve, but keep in mind the back and leg pain may be due to nerve damage. The nerves in the vagina have not been completely mapped and there are so many that it's hard for the Drs to avoid them to prevent nerve damage. It seems the more surgical interventions the more risk for nerve damage. I'll be keeping my that you'll have a great outcome and will be feeling better real soon.
Michelle
Unread 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
mesh removal surgery

I'm confused about the mesh removal. Is it something that has to be done every so often, is it done only when problems arise, or what?!?!? Maybe I should have researched this procedure more before I agreed to have it done.
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
mesh removal surgery

ldh--Mesh removal is ONLY done when problems arise. Mesh is supposed to be permanent. The people who have it removed are people whose bodies have rejected it for one reason or another--we don't know all the reasons why some people have problems with it and some don't.

I believe those of us here who have rejection/ erosion of the mesh have experienced it with artificial mesh or polypropylene/ polymeric mesh. I have yet to read where someone on this site has had a problem with one of the biologic meshes such as porcine, bovine, cadaverous, or using their own autologous tissue.

Many doctors now are reverting to the biologic meshes or even back to no mesh at all because even though the incidence of vaginal erosion is overall low, when it does happen with the artifical mesh, the results can be disastrous.

Yes, you really should research the mesh before having it put in you. There is a good post in this forum on this telling where you can go to find information about the specific types of meshes and if there have been incidents with the type you might have. It's the FDA's CDRH website. You can read Adverse Event Reports there. FDA Site post

Best of the best to you in your research....
Unread 04-26-2007, 06:03 AM
mesh removal surgery

Sue,
My best of luck wishes for your upcoming surgery, I know this has been a very long road for you - I hope this solves all your problems. Hugs - let us know how you are doing.

Idh,
Please talk to you doctor about what kind of mesh is planned, I researched it and researched it and decided that permanent mesh was not something I wanted to try. The recovery for using one of the dissolveable meshes or no mesh is longer as you have to wait for your body to form scar tissue to hold the repair in place (about 3 months to start forming). I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery too, it isn't too late to change your mind on what type of mesh you are having put in. Hugs.
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM
mesh removal surgery

Hy Sisters, well i had the surgery Monday morning, went home monday afternoon, i can only sit up for a lil bit so i'll make this short, Dr. C seems to think he got all the mesh out, (he had to "peel the vagina back in layers to remove the mesh, and had to rebuild the rectum wall, ( i dont know out of what, i'll find out on my check up) but thats the part that hurts reallllllly bad, so i'm taking stool softners , one important thing is ,the pains i had in my back and legs that hurt super bad is gone at this time, i hope this mesh removal took care of it, ( it will be a test when i'm on my feet more, but for now its fine !!!!)amazing, i wanted to remind you all who havent went on the FDA website and submitted your experiences with the mesh you should get it taken care of, i did it before going to the hospital, when i feel better i'm gonna get back on and update my comments, and tell anyone who gets on that site that its not fun having your **** sliced open, and mesh protruding thru your rectum!!! sounds real bad , but thats what makes people take notice, thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts, Sue # 1
Unread 05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
mesh removal surgery

Sue, I am glad you are through the worst. You are so right that everyone needs to post their exeriences. I am so gald I read what I did here or I would have glone blindly along with my Dr's recommendation for mesh. It may be great some day but not so sure about now!

Take it really slow. I am almost 12 weeks out from repairs and you want to really let yourself heal!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.