HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

hormones out of wack, please help hormones out of wack, please help

Unread 04-25-2007, 06:27 AM
hormones out of wack, please help

I am 2 1/2 years post-op and on .1 vivelle. I am 31 years old. I have been struggling with the following symptoms for about 2 years, but it's getting worse recently.
bloating and water retention (my waistline may change up to 3 inches in a matter of days)
aching joints and calf musles
back pain
depression
fatigue
craving chocolate and carbs
(It's like a PMS nighmare)

The doctor's don't seem to want to help me. My blood work is all fine so they don't think there is a problem. They just gave me a diuretic and told me to live with it basically. However, I read an article on this site about progesterine (sp?). I had never heard of it. I am thinking now that this might be my problem. I have decreased my vivelle to .75.

I want to add progesterine. Should I buy an over-the-counter or see my doctor? What should I be looking for? Is there a way to test to see what your hormone balance is or do you just have to use trial and error?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm desperate to be normal again.
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Hi,

Progesterone may be the key to eliminating some of your uncomfortable problems. I've been reading about "estrogen dominance" and how the body needs progesterone "oppose" it, in order to break down estrogen for use in the body.
Here's an article
http://www.womentowomen.com/menopaus...s=progesterone

I'm sure other ladies here are more knowledgable. I'm learning and out of whack, also

hugs, Robbi
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:20 AM

You are very young to be cutting back on your estrogen. Most of the symptoms you list are due to low estrogen. Having a hysterectomy at your age can be a brutal blow to the body. I had one at age 36 and I can attest to that. This is my personal opinion and observation from being 15 years status post hysterectomy. When I had my surgery, the doctor started me on 1.25 mg of Premarin. Well, I began to have migraines about 4 months after surgery and he switched me to the patch equivalent dose 1.0 mg patch. I've never felt that the patch was as strong as the Premarin dose. So, I say that to say that you may need more estrogen thru the patch than say if you were on Premarin. Again, every woman is different and I know that quite well. Regarding the progesterone, for me personally, it does seem to balance the estrogen. I would caution against using too much and it is not a miracle cure for everything. I've read all the books over the last fifteen years and each doctor is a human being with an opinion. I didn't mean to give you such a lengthy reply, but I feel so badly for young women who have their ovaries removed. Those ovaries are there for a reason and it is hard to replicate what they do. With that said, keep working at it and don't try to many things at once. Too much change can wreak havoc on the body and it is hard to know what is causing what. Hang in there. Just wanted to say you most certainly can do all things thru Christ who strengthens you.

I keep editing this post. If your doctor will give you a prescription for progesterone, you can get at a compounded pharmacy. You can pm me for the name of a very reputable and reasonably priced pharmacy. If you have to go over the counter, Progest by Emerita makes a quality cream. You can access the internet for information and order thru them. Also, most health food stores will sell Progest.
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsteach
I am 2 1/2 years post-op and on .1 vivelle. I am 31 years old. I have been struggling with the following symptoms for about 2 years, but it's getting worse recently.
bloating and water retention (my waistline may change up to 3 inches in a matter of days)
aching joints and calf musles
back pain
depression
fatigue
craving chocolate and carbs
(It's like a PMS nighmare)

The doctor's don't seem to want to help me. My blood work is all fine so they don't think there is a problem. They just gave me a diuretic and told me to live with it basically. However, I read an article on this site about progesterine (sp?). I had never heard of it. I am thinking now that this might be my problem. I have decreased my vivelle to .75.

I want to add progesterine. Should I buy an over-the-counter or see my doctor? What should I be looking for? Is there a way to test to see what your hormone balance is or do you just have to use trial and error?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm desperate to be normal again.
You were on the highest dose of vivelle dot, which is likely appropriate for someone your age - even perhaps a bit low. Some of the symptoms you describe are that of low estrogen (regardless of what your test numbers say - there are a range of opinions regarding the usefulness of testing for estrogen levels vs. going by symptoms alone). For me, adding progesterone helped with water retention and overall well-being. I take prometrium 100mg which is a bio-identical hormone produced by a major pharmaceutical and readily available. It's drawback over cream is that 100 mg is the lowest dose and it's a liquid capsule, therefore it's impossible to tweak the dose. It's advantage is that it's covered by insurance.

Here's something very important to know, though - because progesterone occupies some of the same receptors that estrogen does, when you start taking it you can feel worse before you feel better. It took my body over 6 weeks to sort things out, but I'm glad I toughed it out.

I would recommend you 1) try to find a doctor who will listen to you and help you and 2) consider adding progesterone by prescription. Only if you aren't able to get it from a regular or compounding pharmacy, would I suggest trying the over the counter creams. The ladies here can relate their experiences with the quality and strength of the OTC creams and guide you in the right direction.
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice. It's really hard when you don't have a clue about hormones all the doctor's ever suggest is estrogen. I found a doctor in my area that may be of more help and I made an appointment. I will go from there.

Robbi505, that article was very helpful. Thank you so much!
Unread 04-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Robbi- Thanks for the link to that article. It is very informative!
Unread 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM

I am now 38-- spent one year post-op with no progestrone. definitely wasn't feeling the optimal "balance".
two gyn's would not prescribe progesterone when i asked about it. i have a new, nice primary care doc who told me last month he would "look into it". i got tired of waiting, went to a "super supplements" store and picked up the progestrone cream myself.
In two days, i felt SOOO much better. had a very good "response" for the first four weeks... then a couple of days ago, i started swelling up all puffy, headachey, total exhaustion feeling immobilized... joint pain/stiffness starting to return.
apparently classic case of progesterone "overload"... and i was probably dampening the estrogen effects a bit too much in the process.
see, i was SOOO HAPPYYY to finally feel better, i guess i was getting a little too generous with the dosage amounts. i was being a progesterone junkie-- i admit it!
but i was so excited to feel the most normal i have felt in a whole year.
so i skipped the last two days-- taking a short break. but i restart this evening-- and i am going to lower the amount... and i am going to try dosing once a day instead of the two i had been doing.
i am determined to get back to the happy place progesterone put me in.
i am not discouraged at all-- i am still hopeful that i was able to feel so good on it in the first place!
love it!
Unread 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM

i have felt much better since i've started taking progesterone along with my estrogen. i use vivelle dot and prometrium. i sleep very well and i don't have night sweats and i don't itch and i don't feel like i'm going to become an ax murderer. it has also helped with cravings!! my belly still swells but that's because i'm so early in recovery. i do not retain water to the extent that i did before though.
Unread 04-26-2007, 06:03 AM

Hawaii,
What brand are you using and how much? I know it may not be the same for me, but it could give me a starting point.
Unread 04-26-2007, 06:05 AM

Peppermint tea,
I am so sorry you had to have surgery so young. I was 29. I know how hard it is. I pray that you continue to do well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.