HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Gastroparesis - Vagus Nerve Damage Gastroparesis - Vagus Nerve Damage

Unread 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Gastroparesis - Vagus Nerve Damage

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with Gastroparesis, caused by vagus nerve damage from hysterectomy complications in December. I cannot eat solid food and mostly drink boost, soup, etc. I'm still losing weight, and the boost is just pretty yucky stuff. Does anyone have any recomendations for a boost type drink that isn't so milky tasting?

Also I have been put on darvocet for the related pain. If you have taken pain meds for a longer period of time, what did you take or do to counteract the constipation?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Unread 04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Gastroparesis - Vagus Nerve Damage

Hi Tasha,

I'm sorry your hysterectomy resulted in gastroparesis. All the supplement drinks I can think of are similar to Boost. Maybe you could ask your doctor for a referral to the hospital dietitian for help selecting foods to help meet your special nutritional needs?

As far as the constipation, I have always had good success with just a stool softener, like Colace. I think it's very important for you to check with your Dr. for his/her recommendation tho, since you have other motility issues to consider.

I hope your stomach situation improves soon. It sounds like you've been on a pretty rough road.

Gentle s,
Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.