HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Urgency - HELP! Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Unread 06-19-2001, 11:29 AM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

I am almost 5 weeks post op and my bladder is giving me fits and my doctor can't give me any real answers.

Everytime I stand or walk around I have the urge to use the restroom. Sometimes I go alot and other times not at all. My doctor gave me detrol but it is not really working. I take two a day...a.m. and p.m.

I would love you hear from anyone who is having this problem and if you are taking any medication or doing anything to help the problem.

If you have experience this problem...does it slowly get better?

Thank you so much.

Debbie49
Unread 06-27-2001, 05:07 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Debbie,

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your bladder. Be sure and let your doctor know that the Detrol doesn't seem to be helping.

I was also on Detrol and it didn't seem to help at all and I let my urologist know and he switched me to DitropanXL. That does seem to help more than the Detrol did.

Wishing you the best.
Unread 06-27-2001, 06:31 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Lisa,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you take one ditroplan xl a day?(I think I spelled that wrong). Does it help with the urgency?

Thanks again. I hope you are doing better.

Debbie
Unread 06-28-2001, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the "Road Less Traveled"

You're pretty close to your surgery date still (5 weeks) so I'm going to move the post to the post-op board. There should be more people there who are experiencing the same thing your are. Good luck to you, and hang in there. It really does take a year or longer to recover from hysterectomy and oophorectomy.
Unread 06-28-2001, 07:39 AM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Ilovemygavin,

Have you talked to your doctor? You might want to tell the doctor what is going on. You might have a UTI infection.

I am 6 weeks post op and I am having bladder trouble. When it started hurting me to use the restroom I found out I had a bladder infection. I am still taking antibiotics and Detrol for the urgency. I constantly have the pressure and urgency to go almost all the time.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions about the bowel movements.

Let us know what your doctor says.

Debbie
Unread 06-28-2001, 08:48 AM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Debbie - Cranberry juice is good for urinary tract too. When my bladder started acting up early in recovery I drank several glasses of cranberry juice a day.

Please call your gyn. (or PCP) back if your medication is not working.

Ilovemygavin - I agree...call your gyn OR PCP...it could be bladder infection.
Unread 06-28-2001, 12:00 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Dot,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been drinking at least one glass of cranberry juice daily. I will increase it.

The last culture did not show an infection, but the urologist wants me to continue macrobid (an antibiotic) until I see him on 7/12. It doesn't make sense to me to keep taking it...but maybe it will keep an infection away. Does that make sense to you?

I still have the urge and pressure to go almost all the time. It is very frustrating. It is hard to go out an do things...I feel I have to be near a restroom all the time. I am currently take detrol...but it doesn't help alot.

Any suggestions.

Thanks again, Debbie
Unread 06-28-2001, 12:09 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Debbie,

Yes you should continue taking the Macrobid. My cultures weren't showing infection either, but then when I had the bladder biopsy it DID show the infection. Your doctor has you on that medicine for a reason, so you should continue to follow your doctor's instructions.

Did you call your doctor and let him know that the Detrol doesn't seem to be helping? You should let him know so that he can change your meds if he thinks it is necessary.
Unread 06-28-2001, 12:16 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Thanks Lisa,

I will continue to take the macrobid. I was afraid that if I took it and didn't have an infection...that when I really need it..it won't work. But I plan on taking it.

I have a call into my doctor's office about the detrol.

Have you found any medicine that works for the pressure and urgency beside detrol and what you are taking?

I know 6 weeks post op is just the beginning of recovery, but this constant pressure and urgency is so frustrating.

Thanks for your support, comfort and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Debbie
Unread 06-28-2001, 12:36 PM
Bladder Urgency - HELP!

Debbie,

Glad to hear that you have a call into your doctor. I was on the Detrol and it didn't work for me either. I am now on Ditropan XL which seems to help more than the Detrol. It doesn't take away all the pressure and urgency but it does seem to help some. It also helps with the bladder spasms. The DitropanXL is taken only once a day.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.