HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long off work after LAVH How long off work after LAVH

Unread 04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
How long off work after LAVH

What is the general consensus about long you should take off work (I know it varies per person and job)? Is 4 weeks too soon after an LAVH even if am returning to a "desk" job?
Unread 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM

I went back to a retail management job at 2 1/2 weeks for part-time, light duty status (doing a lot of desk and computer work...no waiting on customers, lifting merchandise, etc.). I've been working about 4 days a week for 3-4 hours. At 4 weeks post-op yesterday, I can say that the one day I worked a full 8 hours completely wore me out! I'll be easing back into longer days starting this week. My doctor will not release me for full duty (40 hours) until I am at 8 weeks because of the physical nature of my job.

Just remember, everyone is different. So far, I've been blessed with no problems or complications!

Hope this helps!
Kim
LAVH/BSO with Climara patch
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:01 PM

I have been told only 2 weeks off. I am confused about that though. I work in an alzheimers dementia unit. There is absolutly no such thing as light duty. We do alot of heav lifting of residents and I push around a hundred ound med cart all night from 3 to 11. So I have told my boss even though the business manger at the doctors office says two weeks. I will be taking, my time.
Colleen :confuse:
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM

I was off work for 4 weeks. I really wished I would have stay out 1 or 2 more weeks. I was extremely tired. My dr. told me that some people returned as early as 2 weeks and some as late as 6 weeks, but the average was 4. I did develop a cuff infection during the 4th week. Without the infection I probably would have been okay at 4 weeks.

Sherri
Unread 04-28-2007, 03:39 PM

One of my employees had a LAVH a couple of years ago (about 6 months after my TAH/panniculectomy). She tried to tell me she was coming back to work after 3 weeks, even though her doctor said 4-6 weeks off. She stayed home for a month, then did a week of 2 hours a day, then a week of 4 hours a day, and finally came back full-time at six weeks -- but she was still tired.

This is not something you want to rush. Check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints (link at the top of the page), too.

In the end, it's really your own condition and the adivce of your doctor which should dictate when you go back. When in doubt, my advice is to .... wait. You only get one chance to heal right the first time.
Unread 04-28-2007, 08:35 PM

I am not sure what you call my type of hyst, I am too small to have a lap assisted, I am being "cut". I was told 3 days in the hospital, 2 total weeks off of work, then 2 weeks of half days. I seriously it depends on the person though, don't you?
Unread 04-28-2007, 09:37 PM

litebeer1960-
I have never heard of anyone being too small for a lap hyst. If you are having a large incision I doubt you can return to work in 2 weeks. I guess anything is possible but the normal recovery for a TAH(total abdominal hyst) is usually 6 to 8 weeks. Recovery from all other types is 4 to 6 weeks, with some people returning as early as 2 weeks.

I would talk to my dr. about what type of procedure you are having so you can better plan your recovery period.

Sherri
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM

It seriously depends on the person -- and I would check w/ your dr. about the "too small" thing. I am 5'3" and after the pre-surg. "cleanse" of bowel prep they put you on, I weighed 98 lbs. I am 4+ weeks and just returned to work this week (so actually entering 5th week). I am an auditor, so mostly desk work, and PT (25-30 hrs/week) is my normal. Heavy lifting to assist when the store is busy is required as part of our job, but I got a light duty note for the next 8 weeks (nothing heavier than 10lbs.) Check with your boss, and see your dr. about the "too small" thing -- mine actually said it was easier on small women because there was less fat/tissue to cut and develop scar tissues post surg. Good luck to you on your surgery -- always know you have an angel on your side....
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:48 AM

My OB said that since I've never had kids and my uterus is extremely high, that if she did a lap assisted vaginal removal (sorry not up on all the abbreviatins yet) she would most likely end up cutting me anyway. I opted to not take the chance of having 2 different procedures
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
How long off work?

I had a lavh with bladder tied up, the Dr. told me to request 8 weeks off work but I was able to return after 6 weeks & I have a desk job.

mshowdy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.