HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

checking in after anterior/posterior repair surgery checking in after anterior/posterior repair surgery

Unread 04-27-2007, 05:30 AM
checking in after anterior/posterior repair surgery

not been around for a while but i thought i would post in the hope it helps someone

had the repair surgery on April 10, the doc said it went well but that she had done more posterior than anterior repair, which surprised me b/c up till then no one had really mentioned posterior, it was all about the cystocele. I was still groggy at that point (just after the surgery) but will have to ask her more at the follow up app't.

I couldn;t pee after the surgery even though a lovely patient nurse took me to the washroom a couple of times and waited ... and waited... I had to come home with a catheter (which really grossed out my kids. They could shovel horse poo all day just to hang out with equines but a little catheter bag --- eewww!!! LOL). A home care nurse came and took it out the next day and I had a few hours in which to go pee and fortunately I managed to. i was very relieved because otherwise the catheter would have had to be reinserted and there was the possibility of having to self-catheterize if it had carried on. And if there is one thing I really don't like, it's having a catheter inserted

Further good news is that things seems to have improved in general in the pee department , I no longer have nagging pressure that makes me go pee 4-5 times before going to bed just to have a few drops come out...

On the BM front, everything slowed down for about a week, so I had to resort to laxatives and glycerin suppositories to, um, soften up what was in the "departure lounge" but am back to normal now. I have had long struggles with constipation in the past and have to be careful from here on in. I find flax seed and sweet corn to be very helpful, also trying to stick to "brown" everything - flour, rice, pasta, etc. Not always easy but I;m trying.

i was VERY sore for the first ten days, still a bit sore and using the rubber ring to sit on. I drove for the first time yesterday, just a short trip, and plan to increase it gradually.

still having to be careful about what I do, I'm not to lift heavy things or do heavy work etc. Family is helping out with chores etc and what doesn't get done can just be left... I'm still having to take a nap every afternoon, and pace myself. It's rather frustrating, i need to get back to exercising so i can stop being a blob but i have to remind myself not to do too much too soon.

the doc doesn;t see me till 6 weeks post-op, i would rather see her sooner but at least she has a lovely secretary who is happy to find answers to my Qs. I'm waiting on an answer as to whether I can start going walkabout for exercise.

Unread 04-27-2007, 06:15 AM

I had that same nagging pressure pre-op, I swear I couldn't get rid of the feeling to go to sleep and made many, many trips to the bathroom before falling asleep. Glad you are rid of that too!
Did your doctor tell you to sit on the rubber ring? My uro/gyn told me not to because everything is healing and trying to stay inside, that gives you no support and sort of lets things pull down (does that make sense?). Also you are right on the constipation thing, you have to be careful in the future probably for the rest of your life. I will tell you what my doctor told me for my post-op instructions, maybe that will help you. I was told that I shouldn't do much walking at all for the first 6 weeks, no shopping, cleaning, I could go out to dinner, visits or movies but only if it was door to door service. Then I was allowed to walk only for exercise from 6-12 weeks, yes I did lose muscle - but I almost have it all back with a little more than 2 months of non weight bearing exercise (I've been swimming laps - indoors). If you didn't have permanent mesh used for your repair, you have to wait for scar tissue to form to hold your repairs in place. Please try to remember that when you want to do too much. I am glad to hear that you are feeling well, I'm sending my best healing wishes. Hugs.
Unread 04-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Hi Bowlinggrl

thanks for the reply... did you have the hyst with the repair? This was only repair, doc says i'm too overweight for the hyst (wah!).

the doc didn;t mention the rubber ring, that was my own idea based on prev expierience with episiotomy (sorry to bring that up). problem is i work from home and need to sit for a few hours each day at the computer, and it HURTS without the ring... maybe I'll try a cushion and see if that's better?

called back to the doctor's office today, i;m not the only one awaiting answers and i didn't get any today either. my suggestion to write a FAQ sheet for post-op was apparently met with a remark that "that's what the pre-op appointment [with a nurse, at the hospital] is for". Well the pre-op nurse assumed I was having a different procedure anyways so I don;t know how much I could have relied on her advice.

All we could decide on was erring on the side of caution and being guided by my body i.e., paying attention when I feel sore or tired. which is most of the time. <sigh>

yes, the constipation avoidance is a life long issue. but seeing as how constipation is bad news for so many other health reasons i don;t mind taking it on board.

off to look for a spare cushion now
Unread 04-28-2007, 08:22 AM

I only had an a&p repair. I had a hysterectomy and cystocele repair 16 months prior and had skipped the rectocele repair, basically because I was in a hurry to get rid of my bladder frequency problems and have my sex life back (prolapsed uterus). Decided to live with the rectal problems. The bladder repair failed, so I spent about a year testing and getting ready to do the a&p repair.
I hope you found a cushion, I asked my doctor about the ring because when I had my sphincter repaired, I was sent home with a ring and thought that I would just use one again. He nixed that idea for me, it did make sense about the trying to keep things up inside, not letting them fall. It took me until about 5 months to be able to sit comfortably on a hard chair. I used a very flat pillow for a long time. It still hurts to sit for a long period of time though. Please remember if you didn't have permanent mesh, you need to take it easy to let scar tissue form to hold that repair in place, my doc says that Starts to form around 3 months, so give yourself plenty of time to recover. Hugs and keep healing.
Maybe if I had not put off my repairs, I wouldn't have needed a hyst. either. I stupidly listened to the doctors who told me that it didn't hurt to wait, no one told me that my bladder could pull my uterus down with it. Hugs again.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.