HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

steroid injections for pelvic pain steroid injections for pelvic pain

Unread 04-29-2007, 08:56 AM
steroid injections for pelvic pain

I have just gone to pain management and of course they want to do the steriod injections, and they do have experience with pelvic problems, which a lot of centers don't. But, I still have reservations about having this done, and am wondering what any of you have experienced with this, like what are the side affects and the positive side of it, and how long it works, just what ever comes to your mind about it.
How much pain is involved in the procedure? They do not go thru the vagina, they go in at the spine somewhere. Any input would be appreciated.
Unread 04-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Hi there

I have had 2 steroid/local epidurals done for chronic back pain/sciatic pain relief. The relief for me has been great both times. I got really good pain relief for around 4-6 weeks, then it started to wear off.

Having the injections done wasn't too bad. Here they put in an IV and give you some mild sedative through the IV. They use fluroscopy to make sure they are getting the injection in the right place. After the injection, they put me in a recovery area for around 45 minutes. They checked to make sure I could move my toes and then checked my walking. The second one I got "wobbly boots" and needed assistance getting out of the car when we got home. I needed to have someone with me for 24 hours after the injection, oh and of course to drive me home. They wouldn't let me leave without another adult with me.

Whilst mine is for a different area of pain than you, it was still a spinal injection and the only real pressure I felt was for about the last 5-10 seconds of the injection and it wasn't painful, just the feeling of pressure.

I am having my third one done on 8th May and can't wait. If I get the same pain relief as the previous 2, I will be a very happy camper.

Regards, and all the best wishes. I hope you get relief from it. They work for some and not for others. I am fortunate that they do work for me.
Unread 04-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks so much! This gives me hope. These people are suppose to be good at this, and the pelvic solutions
are the most difficult ones to be sure and get the right
nerves, but it still scares me. I have had such bad luck with having anybody doing anything to me, I am just afraid for anyone touching me.
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM

I have had steriod injections, but not into the spine area. I had the injections into my incision area and illingual (sp?) nerves. I did experience a few days of relief each time I had the injections. I did not have any side effects. The downside is that you cannot continually receive the injections. My doctor told me the max he would do was 5. I don't remember the exact time period though. I think it may be worth a try if nothing else has worked.
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:05 AM

Thanks Kim, is there a problem with the steroid use
the reason they can't keep giving them?
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM

slt,
I didn't ask my doctor for specifics on the problems of long time steroid use. I had asked him after the first few treatments "this really isn't a long term solution is it?" His answer was "no". I had assumed due to all the info you hear about steroid abuse with athletes that it would not be a good idea and could be harmful if done steadily over a long period of time. I didn't do any research on it either. I imagine that you could do a google search and find lots of information on the pros and cons of steroid use. I have had to use steroids for other ailments and it has worked wonders, but it's always only been short term.
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Although you cannot receive the injections more than 3 times according to my doctor, the idea, at some PM clinics, is to isolate the nerves involved through the use of the nerve blocks and then offer a longer term solution by use of radio-frequency lesioning treatment. This lasts between 6-18 months if it is successful. You should ask the folks at your clinic what the eventual goal of your treatment is because the steriod injections are not a long term solution for most people (there are exceptions to this, however). I was also wondering if they are putting the injection in your spine or your abdomen. I have had both done. I had very short-term benefit only but the injections were of diagnostic value. Do you know which nerve group they are targeting? Is it your SI (sacro-liiac) joint in the back? This area can influence pelvic pain. Or is the injection going directly into your belly?
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:25 AM

I am sure it is the SI joint in the back. I have heard that it can increase Osteoperois, too. I am not currently having problems yet, but I have a small frame,
it is only a miracle that I don't, I have real small bones,
but when I had my bone density test I was still above
Osteopenia (sp?), I don't want to do anything to make it worse. I really haven't had a chance to ask many questions, they just told me to go ahead and set up an
appt for the injection, but as usual I have to mull things over for a while, I am really gun shy since I jumped into the hyst and have lived to regret it.
They did talk about putting in a stimulator, which I have talked to someone else who said there are some things to consider about that too, like causing problems with future surgeries, airports, and MRIs.
Don't think I want anything in there, like I say I am really apprehensive about anybody doing anything to me, I have had such experience with these medical people conviently forgetting to tell you important things about procedures.
Unread 05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Had Both

I have had both the steroid injections, and the radio frequency. Both with exellent results for treating my abdominal pain, Lower Left Quadrant as a result of adhesions. I recently had to have surgery again for the adhesions, but I will tell you this, I will be back at the pain clinic again, if the pain returns, for another nerve ablation. I was leary too of trying the injections, but I am so glad I did. Neither procedure was painful, and there was mild sedation to help.

Good Luck. Sue
Unread 05-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the support, that is the kind of info I need.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.