Hi Ladies Need advice about Testosterone cream for women | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi Ladies Need advice about Testosterone cream for women Hi Ladies Need advice about Testosterone cream for women

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Ladies Need advice about Testosterone cream for women

Hi Ladies, i had my LSh_BOS on april 6th I'm taking prempro just starteed yesterday, but also want to use the testosterone cream. My doctor won't give me a prescription, so I have been doing research online and found several places where i can order it but it's 5%. Has anyone ordered the 2% online? if so could you please give me the website. Thank you, and one more question Has it improved your libido.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:50 AM

I wasn't aware you could get testosterone on-line without a prescription. As far as I know, in order to get the real thing you must have a prescription.
Unread 05-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Hi Carol,

It's a natural 5% Homoeopathic cream. I'm trying to find out if any of the ladies online have used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Hi!

I get my 1% compounded cream from my compounding pharmacy with a prescription from my doctor and yes, it does help with libido because I was deficient in that hormone.

Testosterone is a controlled substance and a prescription is required, with good reason. Hormones are powerful drugs and shouldn't be used without the guidance and approval of the doctor.

Have you had your free and total testosterone levels checked? It's important to have that done because low libido isn't always due to low testosterone levels. If you aren't treating the proper cause you may end up with symptoms of too much testosterone. Not all of them are reversible.

You are very early in your recovery so I'm not at all surprised your doctor wouldn't prescribe testosterone for you. If you get further into your recovery and are still having problems, have your levels tested and see where they are before considering adding another hormone to your therapy.

s

P.S. - As a side note, we can't post links to commercial websites on the message boards.
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:06 AM

I'd be very leary of that. If it is truly testosterone, a 5% cream is WAY strong. What they prescribe for men is only 2%. Please be careful!!

Many women on this site get settled with their estrogen first before they add progesterone or testosterone. Since you are taking prempro - you're getting estrogen and progestin combined. Many women on here have found that having their estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone delivery separate makes balancing easier. There are lots and lots of options - you can read about them in the resources links.

You are still very early post-op and it may be possible that you will experience some hormonal fluctuations for several months - which will make determining how your hrt is working for you a little hard to read at first.

Do be very careful with testosterone. While it can be a key component of balancing your hrt, it can also have the worst (and irreversible) side effects. Most doctors who prescribe testosterone will insist on looking at blood tests to determine your hormonal levels first.
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Hi there,

I just got a prescription for testoterone cream a very low does.
It is not even 1%, it is only 1/4%, .25 mg.
I got it to help raise my DHEA levels, to see if it will improve my libido, and to help with energy levels.
I have notice a bit of an increase in energy so far.
No libido changes, and I have noticed that I am breaking out with acne on my face and back, which is a side effect.
I was taking it every day, but now I am down to twice a week.

I also take progesterone.
I have to talk to my doctor about getting some vagifem tablets, as I am expeience vaginal dryness, which is a big issue I need to address.

It is hard to know what is right regarding hormones, it is such a blancing act.

thanks,
denise
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:47 PM

griselle,
Why are you wanting to use the testosterone cream? You are still very early post op. I wouldn't start ordering hormones over the net, especially testosterone! I have read that the effects of too much testosterone can be irreversible. I think you should let your body recover from surgery and adjust hormonally before adding something on your own. After some time, if you're still having difficulty than you could discuss the issue with your doctor again.

Unread 05-04-2007, 10:07 AM

Thank you ladies for the good advice. I've decided to wait until I'm into my 8 weeks of recovery, if i find that i have lost my libido i will call my doctor and discuss the use of testosterone. It's great knowing that any questions or doubts that I have I can post and get a response from the wonderful ladies on this site. Take care ladies.

Griselle
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:05 AM

It may also be helpful to get your doctor to test your DHEA-sulfate as that is a percursor hormone to testosterone and estrogen in the adrenal gland.
I agree that testosterone is nothing to mess around with and high amounts are horrible. I had that happen *naturally* and it is not a good thing. I have a very good endocrinologist now and now the situation is changed and I will be starting a compounded testosterone, as prescribed, in a low dose, to help me, after I am cleared to start some hormone therapy.
Loss of libido can also be linked to other hormones such as thyroid, prolactin... the list can go on. Sadly, I know this from experience. Get a full check of your hormones.
Unread 05-06-2007, 09:56 AM

I get my 1% compounded testosterone cream from my compounding pharmacy with a prescription from my doctor and yes, it does help with libido because I was deficient in that hormone.

I get 1% compounded cream too. The doc added a little DHEA to it also. I wasn't deficient on the blood test but believe, me, I needed it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register