HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Phlebitis in IV arm Phlebitis in IV arm

Unread 05-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Phlebitis in IV arm

Has anyone here had phlebitis (vein inflammation) in their IV arm? I'm 10 days out of surgery and my arm has a hard, swollen spot and the arm aches. My doctor said it wasn't serious and would go away, but it sure does bother me.

I read, on-line, that if superficial phlebitis doesn't resolve in 1 to 2 weeks, that it needs to be looked into. I've had it for about a week and a half and it's neither worse nor better right now.

Thanks for any replies!
Unread 05-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Phlebitis in IV arm

Toshie

It's not uncommon to suffer this problem. I had superficial phlebitis and it actually lasted about 2-3 months, if I remember correctly. As long as you're keeping in close contact with your doctor, and he's aware of the situation, then I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure you tell him, though, if it changes (for the worse) in any way.

There have actually been a few very similar threads just lately ~ if you try a "forum search" (click top right of the main page of this forum) you'll be able to read through the posts. Here's a link to one of them, from last week: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=phlebitis.

I hope your recovery is going well. Take care!

Unread 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Phlebitis in IV arm

Pooodle, thank you for replying! It really helps to hear from someone else who has had the same thing. I seem to be getting all the less usual symptoms-- phlebitis and diarrhea-- and none of the usual-- abdominal pain and constipation. (I know I'm very lucky about not having bad pains, just cramps.)

I am keeping touch with my doctor. I really appreciate your post!
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Phlebitis in IV arm

I had phlebitis a while back after another hospital stay. What sucked was that it was in my right hand, and I am a righty. It took a while before the swelling went down, but my hand is now back to normal. I only have problems now when it rains sometimes. It has become almost a weather forecaster for me. Try and put moist heat around it when you can. Make it as hot as you can tolerate. This will help you short term. Good luck.
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Phlebitis in IV arm

I had phlebitis following blood transfusions for anemia before my hysterectomy. I was told you don't have to worry about clots causing strokes when the phlebitis is in your arm. However I was also told to take aspirin to thin the blood and to elevate the arm and to put hot compresses on it. I did this for a week and the pain subsided and it was cured. Took about 6 days to be completely gone, but I had it in my entire right forearm. Good luck! Oh, and my ob sent me to a orthopedic surgeon to assess to be sure it was not affecting the bone in my arm. He told me that if the aspirin and hot/warm compresses did not make it better in a week to come back in. In some cases they have to give steroids to make it better.
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Phlebitis in IV arm

Toshie -

I had phlebitis in my arm from the IV. I am 5 weeks post op and still have a lil bit of inflammation (it feels like a rubbery band with a knot). The doc told me that it can take months to completely resolve. You can try either ice or heat (heat worked best for me) and Tylenol if you are having pain.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway