Stitches or staples? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stitches or staples? Stitches or staples?

Unread 05-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Stitches or staples?

I am concerned about keeping the scarring to a minimum since they have to make a vertical incision. (Vanity thy name is ME!) I assume that stitches would be the better way to go (supposing I'll even have a choice). Any tips on scar reduction will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Stitches or staples?

Octavia, when I went to see my surgeon about my surgery I said to him " I know this sounds vain but how will you be doing my insicion?" Then he said verticle then I started to cry. I know that should have been the last thing to worry about since cancer should have been my primary concern and I am 52 (now) and not exactly bikini material any longer. It is just that I have no surgical sights on my body and I scar easily and what else can I say yeah it just freaked me out the thought of having a scar running up and down my belly. I also told the dr that that I didn't want to look like a road construction site. Any way I just naturally assumed it would be staples and the marks from the staple holes are gone and the only thing left is the actual insicion mark which is a little thick but I think with time it will eventually fade but not go away. I didn't apply anything to the site because I was afraid that I would cause and infection so I kept it clean and dry. After I showered I would pat the site off with a hand towel then let it air dry before putting on any clothes sometimes in a hurry I woud take the blow dryer on cool air to makes sure there was no dampness leftover from my shower. I know a little OCD sounding but i had a sister in law that got a staph infection in her sight and that freaked me out to. All in all I don't think it turned out that bad and I am trying to keep from gaining any belly weight so I don't look like I have a second butt. haha! Try not to worry to much about it just try to stay well and take it easy. Talk to your dr and ask him what is best. Best wishes.
Unread 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Stitches or staples?

Thanks I appreciate you sharing your story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Stitches or staples?

hi octavia i am 8 weks post op i use bio oil for my scars and so far it has worked wonderfully, dont let the scar worry you too much.
Unread 05-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Stitches or staples?

I had staples with my bikini line incision. Half were removed on the 4th day post op when I was released from the hospital. The rest at my 10 day post op dr visit. The scar was noticible for a while but over time has faded and is just barely visible now. All I did was to keep it clean and dry and I massaged it (after it healed and was not so sore ) with my fingers to try to keep it flexible.

Talk with your dr about your concerns. Hopefully he/she will have suggestions for you.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Stitches or staples?

thanks ladies I feel a bit better about it now.
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Stitches or staples?

Actually, surgical glue is the best way to go for minimizing scarring. Talk to your doctor about using that instead. I had it when I had my appendectomy and my scar is pretty minimal compared to others I've seen.
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Stitches or staples?

I was very confused to wake up from my TAH surgery and find NEITHER! My doctor said that because I am relatively thin/fit, she was able to stitch me up from the inside with dissolving thread. All I ever had was steri-strips - no staples and no visible stitches. What a great surprise that was! Wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery - good luck and take care!
JB
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Stitches or staples?

Most docs that are true surgeons (as opposed to an OB/GYN) prefer stitches to staples. They do leave cleaner incisions.
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
In my opinion...(pregnancy mentioned)

I had 4 c sections, 2 with stitches, 2 with staples and a week ago I had my TAH. Well last week I was glued. None of the scars have been too bad after a bit of time, but I will tell you this, fot me the glue is hands down more comfortable and easy to care for. It looks "great", a fine line now so I have the greatest hopes it will look great even after. He even glued my belly button (tried LAVH but couldn't). I understand your concerns, just be honest with yurself and your doc!
Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register