HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What does/did  your rectocele/cystocele look like? What does/did your rectocele/cystocele look like?

Unread 05-16-2007, 05:42 AM
What does/did your rectocele/cystocele look like?

I hope it is OK to ask this.

I am curious to know what this looks like for other women. Running a search on it either brings up side cut diagrams or very graphic surgeries in progress.
Besides....I'd rather read a description than see a picture.

Mine looks like.....
If you don't want to know...stop reading...

I am trying to be as accurate as possible without exaggerating..... Here goes....

My rectocele looks like a golf ball sitting in the base of my vaginal opening. Above it is a smaller roll of skin that is the cystocele.
Looking at the 2 together.....well, it almost looks like lips...with the bottom lip having a collagen injection.

My urethra is prolapsed and looks red/angry.....but it is getting smaller with the use of estrogen cream. That prolapse is more prominent and "angry" due to a week long catheter.

Is this what others are dealing with?
Unread 05-16-2007, 09:15 AM

That sounds exactly what I had before surgery. Felt alot of pressure down their. Also
experienced alot of lower back pain. Also a little painful during sexual intercourse. i
have to say only 10 weeks postop I feeling pretty darn good.
Unread 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendress58
That sounds exactly what I had before surgery. Felt alot of pressure down their. Also
experienced alot of lower back pain. Also a little painful during sexual intercourse. i
have to say only 10 weeks postop I feeling pretty darn good.

I am so glad to hear that!.....the similarities AND that you are doing so well.

I've had lower back pain for so long I just accept it.
My husband can't understand why I turn on the car's seat warmer when it's warm outside. I can't help it. It feels good.
Unread 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Honestly, I did not know that I had a rectocele until the surgeon told me after my D&C in February. I did not know I had an enterocele either. All I know is I had this big bulge sticking out and I had to push my cervix back inside all the time to get washed and dried. I knew that my bladder was hanging and my cervix, just not what a terrible mess I was really in.

I hope that you get a really good Doctor to take a look at you and get a 2nd opinion if you need. Whatever prolapses you have need to be identified and treated all at the same time or treated with a pessary if that is appropriate and the choice that you make.
Unread 05-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Hello, Tabitha!

Nothing is really here,

I noticed mine at about 1-1/2 weeks post op from my hyster. It still looks the same. It is an egg shaped bulge of pink tissue, about an inch from front to back, that sits right at the opening of the vagina. It is not outside the vulva, just the vaginal opening, and causes there to be a "gap" between the front and back wall at the entrance. If I have to splint to have a BM, I can feel a spongy, but firm nodule that I can actually push slightly upward and backwards. This allows me to completely evacuate. I can tell that the area is about as wide as two of my fingers...which, to me says, this will not self-correct. I feel some pelvic pressure (mostly a downward tug), but not much else.

Hope that helps! You're definitely not alone!
Unread 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM

I am so glad I came to this thread. I think I have a prolapsed something another down there. I had my hysterectomy December 3, 2003. Today I used a hand mirror to get a really good look down there, because I noticed it just didn't look the same (aka normal) to me. I wanted to cry. I felt like a monster. Yes, I'm serious. My regular gyn exam is on June 18. I'm wondering if I should call my gyn and tell her about this. It looks like I have a little round donut at the opening of my uthera (sp?). Any information would be appreciated. When I Google stuff, I get even more worried. Thanks in advance.
Unread 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM

When I look, I don't see anything but lots of wrinkled tissue. No obvious ball or bump. I notice that the whole back length of my vagina seems very tender ALL the time and I feel like I'm sitting on something inside my vagina. Also the area around my vaginal opening feels like there's a tampon half in and half out. But again, I don't really see anyting.
Anyone else having symptoms but not really seeing anything?

LJC
Unread 05-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW
I am so glad I came to this thread. I think I have a prolapsed something another down there. I had my hysterectomy December 3, 2003. Today I used a hand mirror to get a really good look down there, because I noticed it just didn't look the same (aka normal) to me. I wanted to cry. I felt like a monster. Yes, I'm serious. My regular gyn exam is on June 18. I'm wondering if I should call my gyn and tell her about this. It looks like I have a little round donut at the opening of my uthera (sp?). Any information would be appreciated. When I Google stuff, I get even more worried. Thanks in advance.
I meant to type 'it looks like I have a little round donut at the opening of my vagina'. I called the health line number to my health insurance company to talk with a registered nurse. I described what it looked like (the best I could). She said I should call my gyn and make an appointment to be seen no later than Tuesday. I'm going to call my gyn on Monday, and I hope to be seen on Tuesday morning.
Unread 05-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Eight weeks after my TAH/BSO, I had what I thought was a cystocele. The symptons where that it felt like there was something half in and half out of the vagina. It felt rough and like the lining of my vagina was coming out the opening and rubbing on my underwear. This made everything sore and burning when i used soap in the shower or peed (sorry if TMI). There was a small amount of discharge. I saw my doctor for a pelvic exam and she said it wasn't a yeast infection or cystocele. It was just that the vagina had become so dry, the walls were rubbing against eash other and causing the rough, sandpaper like feeling and causing the soreness and burning from the irritation. She gave me a prescription for vaginal Estrace cream to use twice a week. It should replenish the moisture and make the symptons dissapear. It was really uncomfortable. I wonder if this could be the answer for anyone else with the yeast-like irritation?
Unread 05-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Hmmm.... Beller5. Made me wonder if that's what's been bugging me. Except when I feel in there, it certainly feels moist. Did your's feel dried out? Mine doesn't seem sandpapery feeling but definitely irritated. It does give me something to ask the Dr. about though. However, she can also feel the rectocele on a rectal exam (not vaginally though).
Thanks for the suggestion though. LJC

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.