why does it hurt when I poop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why does it hurt when I poop? why does it hurt when I poop?

Unread 05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
why does it hurt when I poop?

Sorry to be so blunt, but wow does it hurt the pipes when I poop, and I'm taking a stool softener. Anyone know why or is it just me???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM

It took nearly a month for me to not hurt with a BM. But I did have serious complications and was unable to eat for the first seven days I was in the hospital, so it was then difficult to get everything going again. Because of my complications I was on pain meds for 3 1/2 weeks. Pain meds, even OTC drugs like ibuprofen can constipate you, so if you are still on any of these, that might be causing problems.
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM

It made me feel better to read this because even though I take stool softeners it hurts "to go" sometimes. Whew! I knew that pain meds caused constipation but I did NOT know that ibupofen could be a contributer as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM

I'm not taking any pain meds. My surgery was 5/7 and only took pain meds for 4 days. But when gas or feces travels through the last portion of my intestines it's an 8 on the pain scale until it passes through. Is it like that for you?
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM

I'm 7 1/2 weeks out and it still hurts a little when I go (let me emphasize "a little"). And after I've "emptied," there's still a bit of an "ache" in my upper vaginal area. So far, I'm just glad I'm going on my own (I was very prone to constipation pre-surgery) and attribute this minor pain to my organs shifting and the vaginal cuff healing. If it persists much more or worsens, I'll call the doc, but for now, every BM is a VICTORY!
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM

I definitely had BM's that were reminscent of giving birth. Because of long term endo and hormonally induced bowel problems, I had painful BM's all my adult life, until I recovered from my hyst. Now it is soooooo much better. Now that I am on bioidentical HRT, I am more regular than I have ever been.
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM

You describe exactly what I felt the first 4.5 weeks post op! I was curious why that was happening too. I am 5 weeks post op today and it seems to be tapering a little. I take ALOT of flax oil and flax meal and I think it may help "slide" through better? I don't know.
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM

I am almost 4 weeks post op and I am having the same problem...it hurts to go even though the stool is soft, and then I ache in the vaginal and rectal area for a while afterward....
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:08 PM

OMG! its not just me! I thought I was giving birth to twins the first 2 weeks after surgery. It still hurts to go...
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:10 PM

are you taking pain meds? they can really mess things up. i always take something stronger than a stool softener after surgery. ask your dr if you can take milk of magnesia or drink herbal tea.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register