HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroids but no bleeding? Fibroids but no bleeding?

Unread 05-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Fibroids but no bleeding?

I have large fibroids which cause me pain at times, but I don't bleed profusely like most of the stories I hear here. Does anyone else have fibroids with no bleeding? And have you had a hysterectomy for it? The doctor suggests that I have one, but is leaving it up to me whether or not I want to do it. My uterus is pushing on my bladder and my rectum, therefore causing some other issues.
Needing some advice
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:47 PM

I had 2 surgeries prior to my LAVH to remove fibroids but never had alot of bleeding or pain. I think if they are causing you problems that you ahve to do what you have to do, whether there is bleeding or not.
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. No symptoms AT ALL - my pet 'football' was discovered after a routine checkup, then an ultrasound.

My fibroid is pressing on my left ureter, making the draining of that kidney NOT good.

It is pressing on my bladder as well. I believe I could risk kidney damage or uremic poisoning down the road...and who knows what ELSE the stupid thing is pressing on???

It's coming out Tuesday, and leaving the ovaries behind! Otherwise - the fibroid will continue to grow...and more serious problems will emerge.

I'm happy to get it NOW - and get my health back. I am sure my fibroid is getting way more than its share of the decent nutrition I put into this body of mine.

My opinion only - the sooner, the better for you, and the better you will feel!

You can also check into the Hysterectomy Options, and see what other people have done.
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi hunieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunieB
I have large fibroids which cause me pain at times, but I don't bleed profusely like most of the stories I hear here. Does anyone else have fibroids with no bleeding? And have you had a hysterectomy for it? The doctor suggests that I have one, but is leaving it up to me whether or not I want to do it. My uterus is pushing on my bladder and my rectum, therefore causing some other issues.
Needing some advice
That would be ME!! I have one large fibroid... and suffer from the same symptoms you have described. My uterus is very enlarged as well. I have not experienced the bleeding as others have described. However, my periods did begin to start changing and get a bit heavier and came w/migraines each month which I could not take anymore...

My gyn suggested an LSH, (I have had other gyn prob's in the past... large 10 pound dermoid tumor removed along w/right fallopian tube and ovary)... and I have been having Lupron injections once a month to shrink the fibroid and my uterus to prepare for laparoscopic surgery this July. It is working and has shrunk it all by about 70% so far. My gyn says most women WISH for that kind of shrinkage, so for that I feel very fortunate. On the flip side, taking the Lupron has thrown me into "Temporary Medical Menopause." I have been experiencing some pretty crappy side effects. Especially the hot flashes...

I am most uncomfortable with the bowel blockage I get. I have found that psyllium husk tablets are my best friends to aid with that.
Unread 05-20-2007, 01:19 AM

I have no bleeding or other "serious" issues as described by many others, either. But I am electing to have the hyster due to increased pelvic pain. The pain has become difficult to manage with just prescription meds.

I, also, am doing the lupron injections. But I have not had the experience of any menopause symptoms. I'm really hoping this is what I have to look forward to after my surgery.
Unread 05-20-2007, 06:08 AM

I had extremely heavy bleeding -- which was completely controlled when i went on Yaz birth Control. It made the decision harder for me because if i were still bleeding like that I would have had the operation last fall. Definitely pelvic pain!! Still just decided to go ahead. It's hard with pain -- deciding what is the threshold of enough is enough -- and EVERYbody has a conflicting opinion about what you should or should do!! Just listen to yourself and not anyone else. Good Luck HunieB!!
Unread 05-20-2007, 08:18 AM

I have fibroids without bleeding too (or at least without excessive bleeding). I have the pelvic pain though, and I've decided to do the hysterectomy now rather than wait, even though I've been told by 3 docs that I could wait. I just figured they're only going to get bigger, and maybe cause more problems. I'm scheduled for a TLH on June 11.

Best of luck to you in your decision!

Gigimay
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:47 AM
same symptoms

Actually I never knew that Aunt Flo was very heavy till I started talking to my dr. about the increasing pelvic pain this last year. While I do have heavy periods (and always have) I have regular length periods. I was abit shocked when they found fibroids ( 3 little buggers) I didn't even know what they were till last January. In the last 8 months though my periods have been getting worse and worse. I loose about 3 days out of the month to the pain, so my doctor and I decided to go ahead with a hyster. Hopefully will keep ovaries, but not sure till Dr actually gets in there. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:15 PM

I have a couple each of 2 cm, 3cm, 4cm and 5 cm fibroids plus numerous smaller ones. I feel quite a bit of pelvic pressure at all times and also have chronic back pain. Also have a bit of stress incontinence and problems with constipation (largest fibroid is posterior)....BUT at 52 and on HRT (Estradiol 2 mg. Progesterone 100mg) I have only very occasional spotting. First gyn is anxious to do both TAH and Monarc sling, however since the incontinence is so minimal (does not require panty liner etc.) I am extremely reluctant to go ahead with the sling. He said he could not do a vaginal hyst. because of position of uterus and the fact that I've never given birth. Gyn #2 says he doesn't do slings unless patient begs for them (due to so many complications) and that he would do TAH vs vaginal because the fibroids on the sides of my uterus are likely to to be entangled in arteries feeding the uterus. He also added that if I "continue to shop around" I'd eventually find someone who would do it vaginally, but it could prove risky. I am planning on seeing my sister's gyn (who did her hyst vaginally) for a final opinion. There is no morcellator in my town so no one here does a LSH.
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:28 PM

I also have LARGE (14 cm, 8 cm and 4 cm that they can tell about...probably some other "little ones".) I have not had a lot of bleeding and my pain tolerance is high. "Found" mine doing yoga and feeling a lump in my stomach. I'm going in for a TLH Tuesday and am excited and a little emotional. Anyway, I haven't had many symptoms, but they still need to come out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.