HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ovarian Cancer AFTER hysterectomy? Ovarian Cancer AFTER hysterectomy?

Unread 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Ovarian Cancer AFTER hysterectomy?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and bladder suspension on January 5, 2005 but kept the ovaries because of my age (37 at the time). Now I have had abdominal symptoms for over 6 months (severe diarrhea, pain, gas, bloating to the point of looking 6 months pregnant, reflux and now frequent urination). My internal medicine dr. has tried meds for irritable bowel syndrome and done a colonoscopy which was normal. He can find nothing wrong gastrointestinally and wants me to set up an appt. with my gyn. because these CAN be symptoms of ovarian cancer. I am scared to death and wondering if anyone here has had experience with ovarian cancer after having a hysterectomy. Thanks in advance!
Unread 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM

As you still have your ovaries, you can indeed have ovarian cancer. You can even get a form of ovarian cancer even if the ovaries are gone--it's called primary peritoneal cancer.

If your gyn is suspicious of ovarian cancer, ask for a referral to a gynecologic oncologist, the expert in this field.
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:13 PM

Please go get checked. I had my TAH b/c of borderline ovarian cancer, so I can't answer that question, but I had a lot of the symptoms you mention. Please, please go see your gyn. The sooner you find out no or yes, the sooner you can move on.
Unread 05-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Thank you, thank you for the info and support. It is amazing that it never occurred to me that the symptoms could be from the ovaries instead of just GI symptoms. I know I have read symptoms of ovarian cancer before, but I never connected it. I will call my gyn. tomorrow to make an appt. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for an appt.
Unread 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura denise
Thank you, thank you for the info and support. It is amazing that it never occurred to me that the symptoms could be from the ovaries instead of just GI symptoms. I know I have read symptoms of ovarian cancer before, but I never connected it. I will call my gyn. tomorrow to make an appt. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for an appt.
Good luck with your appt. I never, ever even thought about ovarian cancer until after I had my surgery. The really scary thing about it is that all of the symptoms are things that I thought every woman had; I've had probably every one at some point or another and never thought anything was unusual. Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you!!
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Yes, one of the hostesses (Basketnut) had already had a hysterectomy when she was diagnosed. If you look at her earlier posts you'll be able to get her story, or her Hostess profile might have it.

That being said, benign ovarian cysts, such as endometriomas, can also give you these symptoms. A CA-125, transvaginal ultrasound, and proper bimanual exam can help your doctor sort it out. If there is any question of cancer, you need another opinion with a GYN-oncologist. They are the experts, and the outcomes are MUCH better in their hands.

I hope you're able to get this sorted soonest!

Audrey
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks ladies for the support. I have an appt. with the gyn tomorrow. I was surprised to go in so soon. At first they said the first appt. was the end of July but once I explained the symptoms, the nurse said to come tomorrow. I am supposed to be giving exams to my Biology students tomorrow--but I am glad to go in and get this settled. Thanks for your advice--I probably wouldn't have called today without your support and info. Hugs and blessings to you all!
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM

For the past year and 1/2 I have had the same symptoms so I went and had a physical. Everyting checked out and nothing found. My doctor left and I started to have really bad pains so I went to her replacement and she said I may have a cyst. Then my pains were so bad my husband made me go to the ER and they said I had irritable bowel I told them I had regular BM and gas they said I had to go see a gastro doc. I did ignore that as I did tell them I did not have the symptoms. Anyway, the abdominal pains were so severe I would buckle to the floor and would sweat and throw up for a couple of hours. I had to go to another doctor at Well's Emergent Care and they sent me by ambulance to York Hospital for a CT Scan which showed I had a tumor bigger then a BASKETBALL! YES BIGGER!!
Anyway, York hospital made me an appointment with the cancer center and to make a long story short I had a hysterectomy on 5/3 and I am dealing with so many emotions I cannot describe. Please get this checked out. My cancer doctor says I have had this tumor for at least 3 years and they all missed it.
Unread 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Laura, please let us know how it goes. We'll be praying for a good result!!

Kelly--I had pains like that just a few days before my surgery. It was the first time my tumor had caused me such pain. I can't believe how big yours was--mine was 22 cm. I was starting to look pregnant. I'd thought my new blood pressure pill was slowing down my metabolism, so I was putting on weight, all the in the abdominal area. I wonder how long mine was growing in order to get that big.
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly3930
For the past year and 1/2 I have had the same symptoms so I went and had a physical. Everyting checked out and nothing found. My doctor left and I started to have really bad pains so I went to her replacement and she said I may have a cyst. Then my pains were so bad my husband made me go to the ER and they said I had irritable bowel I told them I had regular BM and gas they said I had to go see a gastro doc. I did ignore that as I did tell them I did not have the symptoms. Anyway, the abdominal pains were so severe I would buckle to the floor and would sweat and throw up for a couple of hours. I had to go to another doctor at Well's Emergent Care and they sent me by ambulance to York Hospital for a CT Scan which showed I had a tumor bigger then a BASKETBALL! YES BIGGER!!
Anyway, York hospital made me an appointment with the cancer center and to make a long story short I had a hysterectomy on 5/3 and I am dealing with so many emotions I cannot describe. Please get this checked out. My cancer doctor says I have had this tumor for at least 3 years and they all missed it.
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that--and you must still not be feeling great after your surgery since it was just a few weeks ago. That part does get a lot better--I sure hope you feel good really soon, especially the emotional part. I think that is the toughest pain to get over. You are wonderful to help me when you still aren't feeling well yourself. Thank you--my prayers for your full recovery will be with you every day

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.