HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Worried about sex without a cervix Worried about sex without a cervix

Unread 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Worried about sex without a cervix

I'm 3 months out and feel better than I have in years, which I think helps you feel more sexy and interested. I had everything removed and honestly sex is better than it was before. Still have the big O and I think the sex drive improved for me because I feel so much better. It did take a while to feel ok about being "active" again which was just in my head. I worried, like you, that it would be different or not as good but everything is great. I hope this helps!
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM

cc, let me know what your doc says when you address that issue with him again! It's so strange, until I found this site I guess I honestly thought I was the only woman worrying about this subject. So silly!
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! There can never be too much reassurance, right? XOXOXO
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

I asked my Dr. when we were discussing my procedure about keeping the cervix. His response was that it was a "fad". There was no research proving that keeping the cervix had anything to do with sexual satisfaction after a hysterectomy. He asked me why I would want to keep it if I still would have to come in every year for a pap smear.

Anyway, anything will be better than sex right now. Haven't had it in 2 years - too painful! It will be good to get back in the saddle again! I know (TMI)!
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM

WILL DO!! See you back in a couple of hours.
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM

I have no idea about the contraction of the uterus! and Orgasm? But I'm repeating what my dr. told me...wow A new one ? I wanna new one too! lol-lmao! Hubby would have fun then huh??? yehawww!
(four deliveries later for me) (two c-sections tho)

Yes, this is a thread we are all concerned about.

Thanks for starting it
msneedafootrub!

Julie
Unread 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM

For some women cervical and uterine contractions play a role in orgasm, that much is true. For me it was a little different than it was before, at first, but now almost 2 years later it's better than ever.
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM

Okay, look--do you remember being a virgin? Do you remember how important exterior stimulus and "imagining" an orgasm was the first few time?

Congratulations, you're about to be a virgin again!
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:43 PM

I've talked to female and male doctors about this in graphic detail, and here is my understanding:

For most women, orgasm is caused by stimulation of the clitoris. Ask yourself this question -- are you able to have an enjoyable orgasm without any penetration inside your vagina? If the answer is yes, you have nothing to worry about, because hysterectomy will not alter your clitoris in any way.
If the answer is no, then maybe you'd be more likely to notice changes in sexual pleasure after hysterectomy (but keep in mind that there are not many nerve endings inside the vagina, whereas there are probably a zillion in the clitoris).

It's true that if you have a uterus then it will contract during orgasm, but I am told that for most women those uterine contractions are not what is causing the pleasurable sensations of an orgasm.

Also, research that was well-designed does not show any difference in sexual functioning after hysterectomy between women who kept their cervix compared to those who did not. Research also indicates that the probability of sexual difficulties after surgery is higher for women who had sexual problems before surgery.

However, research has to do with statistical averages; it does not describe the experience of an individual woman. That's why I'm going to be nervous about this issue until I discover for myself what sex will be like following hysterectomy.

I was relieved when my own mother disclosed to me that she felt no difference in orgasm before vs. after she had a hysterectomy, but this is something we will all have to find out for ourselves...
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm back from my appt. with GYN and I am just going to DITTO everything RAINBOW67 just posted.

Additionally, here was the ? presented to me today "Did you know the role your cevix played, if any, prior to now?"

My Answer: NO!

RESPONSE: "Well, then it probably will not make one bit of difference after the fact either."

I let it go at that and will have it removed. It is an "easier surgery" going vaginal and I'm all for easy.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.