HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 05-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Abscess?

Has anyone out there dealt with the complication I learned I have yesterday? After a week of low grade fevers and mild to moderate pain, I had a CT scan that revealed a 5 cm abscess in my abdomen. I am on 2 heavy antibiotics (which are making me sick as a dog) - - but more than anything else, I am scared, and would love to hear from someone who is going through or been through this and has some words of comfort.
Unread 05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Abscess?

Sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time. I had my LSH-BOs on april 6th and also had an abcess in my abdomen as well as a hematoma 6cms of my left incision. The doctor also had me on 2 antibiotics, which didn't help my stomach. I also had low grade fevers for 2 weeks. On a positive note it does get better and the abccess may resolve it self as mine did. I'm finally feeling better after 7 weeks, Everyday I'm able to do more and more.

Just wanted to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Abscess?

Thank you so much - - your reply - - and really this entire message board -- have saved me over the past two weeks. It helps to hear that someone else has made it through the same experience. How long before you "felt better" after starting the antibiotics?
Unread 05-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Abscess?

I'm glad I was able to help. It took about a week of being on antibiotics to really feel better. Don't become discourage things will get better for you. It takes some of us a little more time to recover. Take good care of yourself, and listen to your body.

Griselle
Unread 05-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Abscess?

Thank you - - this whole experience has taught me so much about listening to and loving my body. I started all of this (and occasionally lapse into) thinking "why is my body doing this to me??" Now I talk to it - - every day I ask the infection to leave, bless my medication to do its job, etc. I know it sounds a little crazy...Thank you again - and be well.
Unread 05-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Abscess?

Hi faithandhope,

I had an abscess that caused my incision to burst open in a 1.5 inch wide and 1 inch deep spot and drain out 12 days after my surgery. I was put on antibiotics, and a gauze packing had to be inserted into the open wound twice a day to keep it open and draining. It has slowly closed and 18 days later, today is the first day that it is completely closed. It wasn't pleasant but I don't feel like it was the end of the world. It just slowed things down a bit. Abscesses are scary. You're doing all the right things. Listening to your body is key, and if you don't feel comfortable with anything, call your doctor right away. The doctor is the only one who can acurately answer any medical questions you may have. Remember, it does get better. Good luck. You're in my prayers.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Abscess?

Thanks, Tracy. Mine is actually deeper than it sounds like yours was, between my cervix and ovary. I am on the antibiotics now and grateful that I at least don't feel any worse (except for the side effects of the antibiotics - - all of which I seem to get!) I hope to be on the upswing soon!
Unread 05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Abscess?

I had a sterile abscess at week 2. I also had cellulitis and gastritis. The combination cause a high fever, chills and vomitting that landed me back in the castle for 4 days. I had a CAT scan assisted drain put in and 3 IV anti-b's. Drain was in for 3 days. I was sent home with Bactrim and Clindomyacin. I had allergic reactions to both. Ended up with a rash that I mistook for a yeast infection for 7 days. I should have called on day 2 home. So if you start itching or develop diareaha call the doctor immediately. The diareaha can turn into C. Diff. a very nasty infection. Luvs2Quilt gave a very good explanation in the Apr. 22 recovery thread.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Hugs,
Crystal
Unread 05-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Abscess?

Thanks Crystal - - my doctor has actually already tested me for c diff for I feel like we're on top of that one!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.