HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vivelle Patch vs. the generic Estradiol Vivelle Patch vs. the generic Estradiol

Unread 06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Vivelle Patch vs. the generic Estradiol

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone to help with pros and cons of the Vivelle Patch and the Estradiol.

With my insurance, I would pay 105.00 every 3 months for the Vivelle and with the Estradiol, I'd pay 20.00 for 3 months.

I'm currently on the Vivelle because the Eckerd druggist said there was no generic brand for Vivelle. I called my insurance company and they said that Estradiol was the generic. I would love to change over but was wondering how close the 2 are. If I do good on the Vivelle, should I do good also if I change to the generic Estradiol

Thanks so much!
Unread 06-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone to help with pros and cons of the Vivelle Patch and the Estradiol.

With my insurance, I would pay 105.00 every 3 months for the Vivelle and with the Estradiol, I'd pay 20.00 for 3 months.

I'm currently on the Vivelle because the Eckerd druggist said there was no generic brand for Vivelle. I called my insurance company and they said that Estradiol was the generic. I would love to change over but was wondering how close the 2 are. If I do good on the Vivelle, should I do good also if I change to the generic Estradiol

Thanks so much!

I have the same issue. My doc gave me some sample of Vivelle Dot, but insurance won't pay anything toward it and tell me I have to have a generic. So I have a prescription for generic estradiol that I can pick up on Monday. I would love to know if anyone has had any experience with it.

Pat
SAH, BSO, PB Sling, Bladder suspension
Endometriosis, Fibroids
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Pat: Do you mean generic estradiol pills or patches? I haven't used the generic patches but I have used the estradiol pills. They are very very inexpensive.
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:42 PM

RUN FROM THE GENERIC! I tried one generic patch--it was awful. In the hospital they slapped a non generic patch on my backside in the recovery room and sent me home with a prescription. I had it filled and the next week when it was time to change the patch, much to my surprise the generic was huge, thick, pink, made me break out and I had to put surgical tape on it to keep it on. It didn't stay stuck! I had a skin rash for two weeks after I removed it.

My husband's comment when he saw it was, "that's not gonna go with your pole dancing outfit". (He has a dry sense of humor) hee hee.

Anyway, when I went for my post op checkup I told the nurse that I wasn't happy with it and she said, "Of course you aren't honey, no one is. I'll have the Dr. write you a prescription for Vivelle Dot. That was over a year ago. Still loving the Vivelle Dot. Well worth the extra money.
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM

I have to agree that the generic for Vivelle, which may be called Alhora- is simply aweful. I don't have insurance reasons but my doctor wanted me to try it when I was having issues with the Vivelle dotl. It is almost the size of an index card, doesn't stick well so it ends up all wrinkled, and it left me with a huge rash that turned all scaley and took about a month to fade. I don't even normally have sensitive skin. You can try it- but i suspect you will be very disappointed.
Unread 06-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Ok, it sounds like the patch isn't getting recommended here.

How about it in pill form?
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Oh, I love the Vivelle Dot patch, just not the generic patch. Can't speak for the pill form. I have only had the patch.
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:20 AM

I have been on estradiol pills for a couple of years now and they have done very well for me. I had to add a little progesterone and testosterone to balance out but in handling my estrogen needs, the estradiol pill works great. The prescription is $4.00 at Wal-Mart for 30 days. Can't beat that!
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Yes, the generic estradiol pills are probably the most economical form of HRT there is. Even at CVS, they are $7, but like someone else said they are only $4 at Walmart. They work well, though not as fast as the patches and there is an adjustment period. You may find that splitting your dose AM and PM works best, but if you need an economical form of HRT, I would suggest trying it.
Unread 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM

I absolutely love the Vivelle Dot! My physician gave me a one month supply, so I have yet to fill my script for it yet. I sure home my insurance will cover the Dot. I am willing to pay a higher copay if thats what it takes to be able to stay on it. I have talked to several people now who have mentioned problems with the generic patches. I would rather pay more and go with something that works well for me.

Nine.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.