HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

severe lower back pain after urination-normal? severe lower back pain after urination-normal?

Unread 06-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Question - severe lower back pain after urination-normal? severe lower back pain after urination-normal?

Quick question. I always presumed I just had lower back pain because it runs in my family. After reading a number of posts I suspect that it is connected more to bladder issues. The pain usually starts about 15 minutes after I urinate (and I always think my bladder is fuller than it is). Has anyone had this happen and did surgeon find the uterus pressing on bladder or fused to it? Wasn't really a quick question.
Thanks for all the support, I find out my hyster. date on the 11th; can't wait.
Unread 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
severe lower back pain after urination-normal?

Gumpy--

I don't think any pain after urination is ever normal. There can be many causes however. It could be what you mention: uterine pressure, but you may not know until after your surgery. It could also be a UTI so be sure you have your urine checked if it seems out of the ordinary for you.

Sending extra and good vibes......for your surgery in one week....
Unread 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Hi Grumpy - I also had similar symptoms prior to my surgery - from what my Dr explained, it's fairly normal, but do bring it up with him/her - my uterus was pressing against my bladder because of several large fibroids in it - that caused pain as well as pressure and the obvious - gotta go gotta go, gotta go right now symptoms. It's dissapaided since the surgery - well, some back pain and hip pain now - but that's why I'm on this site. My advise, relax you've made a good decision and I wish you peaceful rest after your surgery next week. Is it going to be laperscopic? One thing - they may neglect to mention - if air is injected into your stomach during surgery, it can travel afterwards - dont worry if you experience some shoulder pain - just walk walk walk, and when you're done, walk some more and it will help it to go away
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Smile - severe lower back pain after urination-normal? no pain during urination

Thanks for replying ladies. I don't have any pain while I am urinating, just excruciating pain after, maybe a spasm. Wouldn't my intravaginal ultrasound show a fibroid pressing on my bladder? Yet it all came back normal.
One more question, does a urologist have to be involved whenever there is a bladder issue in surgery, or only called in if the gyne needs their assistance?
Thanks in advance.
Gumpy, not grumpy.
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh my, I'm so sorry - this was my first log in and you seemed to be experiencing similar things as I did. I will never call you grumpy again as for if you need to have a urologist (sp?) called in, I;m not sure - I wondered the same for me, as a friend said she had them do a sling (?) of the bladder during the surgery and it really resolved all of her issues. My surgeon didnt consult with anyone on that - so far, I seem to be back to normal with that part
Unread 06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Wink - severe lower back pain after urination-normal? thanks saranactomy

don't worry about the gumpy thing, I think I'll be a little grumpy until this all gets resolved.
If you don't mind me asking, did they find fibroids pre-op or post-op? How large were the fibroids? Glad to hear that I may not have to involve a urologist, just delays things more, and I am so anxious to get my life back.
Thanks for your quick responses. If you are comfortable, could you fill me in on your situation pre-op and post-op a bit?
Regards,
Tammy
Unread 06-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Tammy,

If you can, a UroGYN (urogynecologist) might be the one person to see. UroGYN's deal with the entire pelvic floor including all matters GYN + incontinence and bladder issues. The doctor I consider my gynecologist is a UroGYN. He is excellent at his job and I don't worry about going to a urologist, too. In case you are interested, you can find UroGYN's in your area by going to the augs.org website; click on 'information for women'; then 'find a provider in your area'. It's how I found my own doctor(s).

By the way, before my HYST I only had 1 fibroid they could find and it was an 'intramural' one inside the muscle wall of my uterus. That was enough to help cause some of the heavy pain and bleeding I'd been having for years. I also had uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse (cystocele), and needed a urethral tape (TOT) for my stress incontinence.

Have either of your DR's tried you on any anti-spasmodics for your painful bladder problems? If not, you may want to ask either or both about trying something like that.

Sending more S....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.